Second Thoughts?

Curley
Posted
Posted

You have to look at the right site :-)

http://www.asiatrave...cebu/index.html

Go to the bottom of the list and you will see it is only 1449 pesos with breakfast, except for Sinulog weekend

True i didn't see those rates BUT it is not an apartment/condo, no kitchen, the standard rooms don't even have a fridge according to the reviews and it is also not very conveniently located. However it is valuable info for when I visit Cebu again.

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

We like Panama, but we love the Philippines!

I enjoyed my time in Panama and they have a very good retiree program but I didn't like it enough to want to live there.

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Panama is a good choice i was there years ago in the Military they now have a retirement visa

Panama has put together the most appealing program of special benefits for retirees you’ll find anywhere in the world today…and the program is open to foreigners.

In Panama, resident pensionados or retirees are entitled to:

• 50% off entertainment anywhere in the country (movies, theaters, concerts, sporting events)
  • 30% off bus, boat, and train fares
  • 25% off airline tickets
  • 25% off monthly energy bills
  • 30% to 50% off hotel stays
  • 15% off hospital bills*

Plus a lot more perks.

*Unless insurance applies.

If you choose to obtain residency in Panama via the Pensionado Program, you’ll also be entitled to a one-time exemption of duties on the importation of household goods (up to $10,000) and tax exemptions every two years on the importation of a car (or, better yet, the local purchase of a car).

Plus, you cannot arbitrarily lose Pensionado status. Though in other countries, new laws have affected the status of long-time retirees, sometimes stripping away their residency, Panama’s government has kept its pledge to grandfather in Pensionado residents. That means that even if future laws change the Pensionado requirements, your status will never change!

So how do you become a member of the oh-so-fortunate Pensionado elite? It’s easier than you think. Let’s start with some of the basics:

• You must draw a pension of at least $1,000 per month to qualify.
  • You are not required to buy real estate in Panama to qualify.
  • Foreigners who obtain residency via the Pensionado Program are protected from changes in the law, in effect allowing them to maintain residency in perpetuity.
  • Foreigners on Pensionado status are not entitled to apply for Panamanian citizenship.

By the way, you can enjoy Panama’s great Pensionado discounts no matter which residency permit you have. Legal permanent residents of Panama age 60 and over for men and 55 and over for women may ask for the discounts, even if they are not Pensionados. (This does not include tax exemptions for importation of household goods or car, but it does include tax exemption on the local purchase of a car.)

* Note that you can apply for the Pensionado visa even if you have yet to reach the above ages. The government reviews applications on a case-by-case basis, and if you’ve begun receiving your pension early (because of disability or any other valid reason) you are welcome to apply, no matter what your age.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Found an apartment to rent for a month, can you match this at the price in Cebu? http://theapartmentm...style-apartment

Ah, so you DO like the noisy places... Located next to hundreds of shops and many of the most popular restaurants and nightlife Medellin has to offer... Translate that to noisy as firetruck during day and even noisier than a thousand karaoke bars every night!

:mocking: But you will probably see lots of this.... :xmas_girl (1):

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Found an apartment to rent for a month, can you match this at the price in Cebu? http://theapartmentm...style-apartment

Ah, so you DO like the noisy places... Located next to hundreds of shops and many of the most popular restaurants and nightlife Medellin has to offer... Translate that to noisy as firetruck during day and even noisier than a thousand karaoke bars every night!

:mocking: But you will probably see lots of this.... :xmas_girl (1):

I will give you a report after my visit,

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Curley,

How about the local senoritas? What's it like for an expat seeking long term relationship and

extended family issues? Has the fight against organized crime improved over the years?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
there's so much negativity on here..... is it really justified?

You post some very real concerns and I will only answer this one. Yes. There are also postive posts and they are also justified. There is good and bad everywhere so do not come looking for paradise. For many of us the positive aspects outweigh the negative aspects and we will stay here until the balance tips.

It's true there are negative aspects to living in Philippines and even a somewhat dark side to the culture. Still the Filipino people are wonderful and the country amazing. Once you get there give it some time and find out for yourself.... And get back to us with your thoughts! :cheersty: :lol:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hello Curley,

How about the local senoritas? What's it like for an expat seeking long term relationship and

extended family issues? Has the fight against organized crime improved over the years?

I had thought of giving this place a try once too - until I started looking at the Phils and a few others. Why did I pass? For the same reason of which you were asking. At one time the cartels were almost wiped out and crime was so low. But they are on a comeback and crime is worse than it ever was. And if they think you are American? Your back isn't big enough to paint the bulls eye on.

• 1 year later...
Stevetheheave
Posted
Posted

I have to admit that I agree with Curley above. I'm really starting to get very disillusioned with what I've read on the philippines. Other than living "cheap" & women I can't see much else. I know you have to make allowances for developing countries but they really do come across as rude, thick retards. I also get the impression that most of the expats that live there didn't have a particularly good lifestyle in the first place in their home country. How someone can someone live in the places I've seen online? It's remarkable. The condos with 50m2 or less? My guest house is 100m2. Even the "top end" places in the gated communities look like something out of the 70's. I'm in Cebu in in December to see for myself. Feeling a bit flat about it all to be honest. Oh! I check the weather every day. Has it stopped raining for one day in the last three months? Hot & wet? Yuk.

Stevewool. Did you write an ebook about building a house on Bohol? If so I loved it.

• Like 2