Second Thoughts?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Hawaii is hot and wet at sea level, but it's first world. If you could afford it, you might go there instead. I lived and worked on St, Thomas, US Virgin Islands, same deal, mostly. The British Virgin Islands may be right up your alley. Of course living on any smaller less developed island is going to be different than living on the mainland and I suspect you are going to see and experience things you would not put up with where you are right now. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Just had an e-mail to say that someone had "liked" my first post in this thread. I haven't been active for a while due to being very busy getting my house straight.

I did make the plunge to Colombia, not in Medellin but to the countryside an hour's drive from Medellin, I can see one of Pablo Escobar's old houses just across the lake from me, beautiful countryside, house is just about finished, having my housewarming party next weekend, 6 single women coming :thumbsup:

No time to report more fully now, will try to do so after my party.

PS I am Bob, where did you get your info that crime was coming back in a big way? I sleep with my doors open, can walk in the local towns/villages on my own at night with no hint of danger.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Just had an e-mail to say that someone had "liked" my first post in this thread. I haven't been active for a while due to being very busy getting my house straight.

I did make the plunge to Colombia, not in Medellin but to the countryside an hour's drive from Medellin, I can see one of Pablo Escobar's old houses just across the lake from me, beautiful countryside, house is just about finished, having my housewarming party next weekend, 6 single women coming :thumbsup:

PS I am Bob, where did you get your info that crime was coming back in a big way? I sleep with my doors open, can walk in the local towns/villages on my own at night with no hint of danger.

Hello Curley,

I guess you're the only member that has the courage to say that Philippines was just not your style after all.  You did explore

during a short vacation but at least you gave it a good try.  There are a few of us still contemplating of going elsewhere and

we are very appreciative of you submitting another follow on report of your new paradise (Columbia).  

I can remember when you signed on, you lived and worked on the Island of Tenerife (Spain).  I could imagine you having no

problems in another Latin-American country, where language and culture is already in your blood.  You being travelling British

expat, I must commend you for keeping up your adventurous spirit and maintaining your flexibility of moving to another location.

Respectfully -- Jake 

Curley
Posted
Posted

Hello Curley,

I guess you're the only member that has the courage to say that Philippines was just not your style after all.  You did explore

during a short vacation but at least you gave it a good try.  There are a few of us still contemplating of going elsewhere and

we are very appreciative of you submitting another follow on report of your new paradise (Columbia).  

I can remember when you signed on, you lived and worked on the Island of Tenerife (Spain).  I could imagine you having no

problems in another Latin-American country, where language and culture is already in your blood.  You being travelling British

expat, I must commend you for keeping up your adventurous spirit and maintaining your flexibility of moving to another location.

Respectfully -- Jake 

Thanks Jake, one correction though you said "You did explore during a short vacation" I have been to the Phils many times over the last 10 years and to many different islands.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Curley,

Respectfully -- Jake 

Thanks Jake, one correction though you said "You did explore during a short vacation" I have been to the Phils many times over the last 10 years and to many different islands.

If I may borrow some of your signature quotations, you did your best (many different islands) and your decision was

made to relocate without any more doubt or regret.  

The true spirit of adventure -- but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other -

body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!" 

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Spot on Steve, the Philippines is not for everyone and you brought up some great points

How someone can someone live in the places I've seen online? It's remarkable. The condos with 50m2 or less?

The condo thing makes sense if you look at it another way, The Philippines has always been a very communal society, lots of people several generations living in the same house. They really don't have Apartment buildings (or flats) like lots of countries in the west. With the emergence of a lot more middle class people they are good starter homes (instead of living with mom, dad, aunt, uncle, a couple of brothers etc etc etc lolol. Also We have several friends of our age group who are near retirement and are moving into condos and giving the family home to the kids. A lot are being bought by OFW's not only as investments but also a place to stay when they come home for a visit. Consider a family of 8 kids 3 are ofw's, they all go in shares and all and I mean ALL family and friends use it. Are condos being over built? you bet. But if you look at it that way it makes a bit more sense.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have to admit that I agree with Curley above. I'm really starting to get very disillusioned with what I've read on the philippines. Other than living "cheap" & women I can't see much else. I know you have to make allowances for developing countries but they really do come across as rude, thick retards. I also get the impression that most of the expats that live there didn't have a particularly good lifestyle in the first place in their home country. How someone can someone live in the places I've seen online? It's remarkable. The condos with 50m2 or less? My guest house is 100m2. Even the "top end" places in the gated communities look like something out of the 70's. I'm in Cebu in in December to see for myself. Feeling a bit flat about it all to be honest. Oh! I check the weather every day. Has it stopped raining for one day in the last three months? Hot & wet? Yuk.

Stevewool. Did you write an ebook about building a house on Bohol? If so I loved it.

So why were you considering the Philippines in the first place?  I would agree that a person of great wealth should be considering better options.  If I could afford it I would retire in Hawaii, as Robert mentioned.

I had a very nice lifestyle in the U.S. but I chose to retire early and could not afford to do that in the U.S.

Making blanket generalizations about groups of people may get you banned on this forum.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Triple like OnMyWay. If you don't see much benefit from living in the Philippines, you are crazy to even give thought to moving there, especially if you can afford far better.

I like the people in the Philippines who tolerate my eccentricity, like stripping down to my underwear and running into the ocean, if I did that often in Hawaii, there might be talk. :)

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I took it that he was making a comment about the country in general, not any group of people.

I know you have to make allowances for developing countries but they really do come across as rude, thick retards.

But the post seems to indicate that he hasn't even visited the place so I think it can be safely dismissed.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
I like the people in the Philippines who tolerate my eccentricity, like stripping down to my underwear and running into the ocean, if I did that often in Hawaii, there might be talk. :)

More like silver bracelets and a free ride in police cruiser.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1