This Is One Of The Best Things That Happened To Me

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It's not restricted to the UK by any means as Lyno pointed out or where they're from. My cousin married a UK national when he was working over there. I couldn't believe the crap they had to go through to get her, her daughter and their son over here. This despite her being a highly qualified professional that would make a valuable contribution to society. The process took over two years with Sarah having to return twice to the UK for periods of 3 months. They had a lot on their side so I'd hate to imagine what it's like for couples attempting the same when one of them is from a non-Commonwealth country - or even some of our less developed neighbours. It's one of the main reasons once I'm in PI it will probably be home for life.

I'm really happy for you Stevewool though :) Yours is a story that will likely bring a smile to many faces and encourage many more :)

Sorry for the thread derail.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

thanks form the kind words,if people can feel like i do well there will be a lot more happy folk around

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
gwenie
Posted
Posted

It is very hard to bring a foreign national into any "Western" country. Bob, from South Africa and a British citizen, was apparently a highly suspicious character when he came over here to marry me and begin a new life.  I, always to willing to try anything another way to get "it" to work, said, "We are going to do this and it is Not going to take a 100 years!".  It didn't either.  I filled in all the paper work, presented it to the immigration people and as soon as it came back, I fixed it or changed it and refilled it out and shot it back.  

There were so many silly things we had to do and so many deadly serious things we had to agree to...but in the end, we did it. 

Don't give up and do work to make your life with your love work.