Alcohol And Tobacco Price Increases

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Funny thing... By today's exchange that's about $1.60 Canadian. I can buy beer here at the Beer Store cheaper. Maybe not one at a time but... Now at the bar, that's a different story! About $5 Cdn I think... I always go for a pint on tap which is around the same price but more in the glass.

Anyway, my point is - prices are going up in the Philippines and the Dollar is coming down. Todays exchange is Canadian $1 = Philippine Peso 40.5906. And only a couple weeks ago we were in the P42 range...

:SugarwareZ-034:

Mate I think if you balance everything, depending on the lifestyle you're after, I think we can cope with the price rise :)

But I know that's from the perspective of someone that is living in a country that's dollar is actually going up in real terms. Even against the pound and Euro we're at record highs here. I think it has a lot to do with markets realising that the USD should not be the standard anymore; I think even our most parochial American friends know how bad their currency is. The Euro is not much better off given the situation in Spain, Greece and anyone else that's looking for an IMF bailout (which, incidentally historically has never been successful since the 1970's(It's first try at fu&*ing it up) - sorry, cut government spending and guess what happens? Unemployment rises, chronic disease rises (due to the cut in public health - the US is fairly unique in the western world in it's policy of if you can't pay for it you die) and infant mortality goes up) and the economy actually tanks. In the markets there has been whisperings either the Canadian dollar, the Chinese Yuan, the German Mark or the Australian dollar being set at the new standard; My money is on the Chinese personally. They're going to rule the world in 20 years economically anyway.

I was going to mention something about the oil standard but it's late, I've had a few and can't be bothered explaining the false economy that that's become.

True. I am only on my 4th beer this year... Yeah, just sitting back, making home-made brown bread and a big pot of soup and enjoying a nice cold beer! hehe! I got a case of 12 for Christmas! Anyway I don't think I will have to worry about the price of bee in the Philippines all that much. :dance:

Unfortunately the Canadian $ is on it's way down a bit and, for the first time in a few months, this morning we dropped below the US $. Now I agree with you that no country's dollar should be tied to the US dollar - but I also believe that it should not be tied to anybody else's either. It wasn't that long ago that the Deutsche Mark was only worth 25 cents Canadian (1980s). If we were all tied to the Mark then, where would our economy be today but down the tank! To attach to the Canadian $ is a little bit too much in left field for me - too many things that happen in the US affects our dollar for no real reason. I won't say anything about the Australian dollar so Tom doesn't beat me up... hehe! But the Chinese Yuan? The Chinese are heading for a major economic decline because of their business and political ethics. They have "peeved" off their major trading partners over "Intelectual Theft' as well as inferior products often made of materials banned in most countries (amongst a million other things),made enemies of all their immediate neighbours because of land grabs and bullying tactics, and they are starting to have their general population waking up to what they have been denied as well as learning how the government has done weird and wonderful thing such as the real estate kerfluffel in the hinterlands. Ok, so I'm trying to be nice. One very interesting fact is that many independent observers at the UN are taking bets on if China will start WW III first or if the Chinese people will revolt first. Yes, there is an actual pool at the UN between the reporters, independent observers and housekeeping staff on this. It costs $1 US to get a square and there is one square for every day of the year. If there is no winner for the year, the pot is dropped into a Salvation Army donation box. This pool was first started during the Tienanmen Square debacle. Apparently the PROC contingent to the UN were not and still are not pleased. Anyway I think these reasons other than the pool are sufficient to keep the Yuan from being the next basis for currency evaluation.

Now if we were to value our currencies on beer..... :13_4_10[1]: ... would this be a loan I have to pay back in kind or could I just leave it at the closest wall?

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
sorry, cut government spending and guess what happens? Unemployment rises, chronic disease rises (due to the cut in public health - the US is fairly unique in the western world in it's policy of if you can't pay for it you die) and infant mortality goes up) and the economy actually tanks.

Out of control government spending and an inflationary monetary policy IS the problem in the US which is tanking its economy.

In the US over 50% of all health care spending is now done by government. I could write a long post on the reasons why US government involvement in health care over the last 50 years is the driving force behind problems in health care. But as others have said, this is not a political forum.

• Like 3

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Went to SM Mall Conscelasion Supermarket here in Cebu on Tuesday and purchased a carton ( called Ream here ) of Winston lights. Cost was 270.00 pesos. Found real ham sandwich meat made by Best Foods in Freezer section bought 1 package to test and see if it was real. Cost was 102.00 pesos. Was real !!!

Went back on Wendsday January 23, 2013 to get more ham. Decided to pick up another Carton of Winstons cost this time was 470.00 pesos per Carton ( Ream ).

Found that there was 30 packages of Best Foods Sweet Sandwich ham available. 27 packages were rotten. Bought the remaining 3.

Came home. Made a ham sandwich with chef salad and smoked a winston afterwards.

The higher cost of Cigarettes here does not bother me too much. Having paid outragous amounts for a pack of cigarettes in America I don't see much of a problem with paying a little more here. The cost for 1 Carton ( Ream ) is still cheaper here than 1 pack in America.

I can also sit outside the house here and smoke without the fear of being sued by a passerby for causing them health problems from second hand smoke like in America.

I still have PTSD from smoking in a resteraunt in America. I posted that fun event a while back on here. I have as of today NOT smoked in a resteraunt here, Unless I am sitting outside.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Brett, with all due respect, you are wrong on all points. Since the forum rules don't allow political rants, I will not point out the errors in your thinking. However, If you bet on the Chinese Yuan or any other currency, you will lose your money. The Chinese economy is headed south and it will lead by a real estate collapse that will make the U.S. recession pale in comparison. Lastly, I would like to know who in the U.S. has died because they could not pay for medical care? I challenge you to name one.

Hi mate, I don't see an opinion on economics as political but yes, it can be a contentious issue and can run into political ground. Economic theory is exactly that; theory.

I must apologise for the tone of my post though. I wasn't trying to be critical of anyone really but in the cold light of the morning after sobriety I can see how it could be taken as such. So guys, again I apologise. The lefty-tree hugging-bleeding heart in me does rear it's head from time-to-time and I know these forums aren't the place for him to pop out.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted
I must apologise for the tone of my post though. I wasn't trying to be critical of anyone really but in the cold light of the morning after sobriety I can see how it could be taken as such. So guys, again I apologise. The lefty-tree hugging-bleeding heart in me does rear it's head from time-to-time and I know these forums aren't the place for him to pop out.

Thanks. I try to keep my libertarian and austrian economic views in check on this forum. Though I admit sometimes it is really hard!

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks. I try to keep my libertarian and austrian economic views in check on this forum. Though I admit sometimes it is really hard!

I know the feeling guys.....being formal sailors who love to bitch and moan, It's in or blood

to rock the boat once in awhile. You want to sound off.....It's like working up to your final

short stroke but she decides to cut you off......he, he.

Perhaps we should continue talking shop, politics and religion over some cold San Magoo

one day. Ahhh, cold beer and hot women -- still very inexpensive on a boys night out but

will probably catch hell when we get home to Mama, our commander in chief.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know the feeling guys.....being formal sailors who love to bitch and moan, It's in or blood

to rock the boat once in awhile. You want to sound off.....It's like working up to your final

short stroke but she decides to cut you off......he, he.

Perhaps we should continue talking shop, politics and religion over some cold San Magoo

one day. Ahhh, cold beer and hot women -- still very inexpensive on a boys night out but

will probably catch hell when we get home to Mama, our commander in chief.

LOL what was the old saying? A sad sailor is a happy sailor!

Hmmm, cold beer, hot women, now there's a plan :). Jake, you're obviously an ideas man, with ideas I like!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Funny thing... By today's exchange that's about $1.60 Canadian. I can buy beer here at the Beer Store cheaper. Maybe not one at a time but... Now at the bar, that's a different story! About $5 Cdn I think... I always go for a pint on tap which is around the same price but more in the glass.

Anyway, my point is - prices are going up in the Philippines and the Dollar is coming down. Todays exchange is Canadian $1 = Philippine Peso 40.5906. And only a couple weeks ago we were in the P42 range...

:SugarwareZ-034:

WAY more important that all these guys trying to control their political discussion!!! Especially due to the thread topic... :tiphat:

Are you (PLURAL) comparing the same beer size? The 'single' beer that gets referred to in the Philippines is USUALLY the group party liter? That is what I am used to getting anyway for around the 65 peso, Red Horse or San Mig. :cheersty: I've usually only seen the 'single' serving size packaging used at a bar/resto. They cost around 40 pesos the places that I've eaten. I'm weathering the price increase just fine as my drinking days are grinding to a halt. I've found my new drug and prefer to stay sober as the alcohol seems to negatively impact the effect of Taring (the Filipina). Just kidding, but it sounded romantic... :nudie: well, somewhat true.

As a parting shot... you (PLURAL AGAIN) should stay away from religious discussion judging by the offense created with the economic comments and poor attempt to hide political views. :no:

:hystery: :mocking: :hystery: :mocking: :hystery:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I stand corrected in both...  

First, I will keep my political foot out of my mouth....  That is what the beer is for.

Second, I forgot that the beer bottles are bigger in the Philippines....  Oh oh...  Anybody got a spare cork?

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I stand corrected in both...  

First, I will keep my political foot out of my mouth....  That is what the beer is for.

Second, I forgot that the beer bottles are bigger in the Philippines....  Oh oh...  Anybody got a spare cork?

:thumbsup:

I think Grande,s are around 32 ounces, 3 or 4 and your well on your way

• Like 4