How Old Were You Guys When You Settled Down In The Philippines & Why?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I was 49 when I moved here back in Sept 2007. I'll be 55 in May.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Never thought about the Philippines until I was 49. Then came here while I was 49. 2012 was a good year. :540:

Settle here? Eventually, but it will probably never happen that I settle anywhere soon. Moving targets are harder to hit & I have reason for paranoia. :hystery: I'm still pretty young, so plan on traveling around a few years, have a child or two, start a business or two (in one or two countries) then THINK about settling down when I am somewhere north of 80. :999:

btw: I retired, first time, at 39 but still have not settled down.

• Like 4

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted
You are looking at it from the wrong angle. It is not so much how old 'we' are but instead, how smart (they) were (not me!) to be able to have a never ending monthly check of sufficent funds to live WELL. Very important that term.... WELL.

Sure that's more convinient, if can solve it, but it also make less can move before retirement age,

I know some have managed to earn their living by starting own business in the Philippines. I HOPE :) I will manage it too.

(Call center/outsorsing services, own websites, refining farming products. They earn enough.

Several have small shops, food, resorts or such. I don't know if any of these later earn enough to live well, but at least 2 of them earn interesting money.)

I'm 48. Moving as soon as we can close on this damn house.... it just won't sell fast enough ha ha. I have a monthly check coming in. It is not enough to hedge for inflation but in 6 years I can get retirement from one job, then 5 years later retirement from another job, then maybe Social Security a couple years after that. So I am not too worried about inflation.

I am certainly not the youngest but I am going 10 years earlier than I had planned.

There are not much Social Security pay in the Philippines :)

USA social security pays you, with few exceptions, wherever you live. We moved here when I was 61, @ 62 started getting SS, my kids do also....:)
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

USA social security pays you, with few exceptions, wherever you live. We moved here when I was 61, @ 62 started getting SS, my kids do also....

Undepending of SS type?

Or do you mean normal retirement pay?   (I don't know common retirement age for USA. In Sweden it's 65, but I know that's uncommonly high.)

(In Sweden most SS STOPS if moving outside European Union, but pre-retirement by illness/injury type of SS is paid undepending of where living. Rather many of the later live in Thailand. And if a Swedish father dies, when having kids still under 18 years old, then Swedish SS pay some when they live in other countries too, but normaly less when living elsewhere.)

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

USA social security pays you, with few exceptions, wherever you live. We moved here when I was 61, @ 62 started getting SS, my kids do also....

Undepending of SS type?

Or do you mean normal retirement pay?   (I don't know common retirement age for USA. In Sweden it's 65, but I know that's uncommonly high.)

(In Sweden most SS STOPS if moving outside European Union, but pre-retirement by illness/injury type of SS is paid undepending of where living. Rather many of the later live in Thailand. And if a Swedish father dies, when having kids still under 18 years old, then Swedish SS pay some when they live in other countries too, but normaly less when living elsewhere.)

In the US, it is a sliding scale. USED to be 62 for 85% of full retirement and 65 for full retirement. 

Then it was changed to 62 + add on months depending on your year of birth and 65 + add on month for year of birth.

Google US social security retirement ag for birth year ______ . And there is a table that is shown to figure it all out.

Also used to be age 62+ and start collecting your 85% and there was a rule that when you hit 65+ retirement age you could pay it back to the SS system and then get full retirement. But they stopped that a year ago or so. Too many people were taking the early retirement check and then simply investing it and making money on it just to turn around at 65 and redeposit the amount they collected so far, keeping the interest they earned and starting over at full retirement money.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

When we plan to go to the phils i will be 60 on the outside but inside a young 30 fighting to get out if all goes well, the reason we have to wait till then is cash, we dont have enough of it yet , i dont want to go over there and have to come back because we have not enough funds, may come back if we want to, but not because we have too

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

You are looking at it from the wrong angle. It is not so much how old 'we' are but instead, how smart (they) were (not me!) to be able to have a never ending monthly check of sufficent funds to live WELL. Very important that term.... WELL.

Sure that's more convinient, if can solve it, but it also make less can move before retirement age,

I know some have managed to earn their living by starting own business in the Philippines. I HOPE :) I will manage it too.

(Call center/outsorsing services, own websites, refining farming products. They earn enough.

Several have small shops, food, resorts or such. I don't know if any of these later earn enough to live well, but at least 2 of them earn interesting money.)

ime="1358881708">

I'm 48. Moving as soon as we can close on this damn house.... it just won't sell fast enough ha ha. I have a monthly check coming in. It is not enough to hedge for inflation but in 6 years I can get retirement from one job, then 5 years later retirement from another job, then maybe Social Security a couple years after that. So I am not too worried about inflation.

I am certainly not the youngest but I am going 10 years earlier than I

had planned.
There are not much Social Security pay in the Philippines :)
USA social security pays you, with few exceptions, wherever you live. We moved here when I was 61, @ 62 started getting SS, my kids do also.... :)

it may be a silly question to ask but what is this SS most seem to be getting if you are from the USA

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

What is social Security?   It is a tax scheme that was used to encourage people to retire.  They tax the young to pay the old.  The mistake too many people make is to think of it as a regular retirement plan.  Basically it is a Ponzi scheme that you have no choice but participate.  Luckily my job of the last 15 years did not participate (school district) - many government jobs don't participate.  But I have enough credit built up from earlier jobs that I can still withdraw - but at a very discounted rate, my retirement from the school district will count against me as income... long story... bad program all around.

But it should buy me a bag of rice in my old age!   :tiphat: