How Old Were You Guys When You Settled Down In The Philippines & Why?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ive not made the move, i'm obviously not as smart as some, I still have 5 years to go before I have sufficient super to fund my life there. I am 56, so I will be 61 by the time i move to paradise!!!

Ah but you are being smart about it!  It's always better to learn about something that appeals to you before making the big jump - or in this case, joining our Forum to learn everything you can before doing the move!

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I expect to arrive september 2013 at the ripe old age of 47. It only feels like 74.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Oh... and in case I haven't mentioned it lately.... I am closing on my house today and buying my plane ticket!  I will be here for about a week then it's off to Antique!  I think 48 is plenty old enough  :dance:                  

Been retired for 6 weeks and sure don't miss working yet!  :tiphat:   

I made it over here 3 months ago.  Started in Antique but quickly moved away from her greedy family ha ha!  Now we are outside of Iloilo.  Pretty nice, quiet'ish, except for karaoke nights!  I'm 49 and in a commited relationship with a beautiful 24 year old. So far so good :tiphat:

• Like 5

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I came here 37, 46 now. why I came? I never expected I will stay, I only came to be by the side of my beloved wife that was pregnant at the time. One thing brought another and ended up loving it here. We decided to stay and no complains about it.

• Like 4

ChronoKev
Posted
Posted

I'm 42 now, not retired yet but I do have an apartment in the Philippines, spent about 3 months there off and on over the last 9 months. I'm hoping to make it a more permanent home and begin living there full-time starting in 2014 if everything aligns for me... But that is a story for another thread!

• Like 2

ForADay
Posted
Posted

I think on average most guys come in their 40's for the first time, when they haved saved some money and want to explore the world a bit, espcially if they are single or divorced. I do notice though that more younger people are traveling to Asian countries these days too so it's probably lower than what it was 10 years ago.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Ah, yeah... maybe I should mention that killing your parents to get an early inheritance is NOT a good idea! Make it or marry it is a better idea.... but money is the needed catyalyst to get your moving.

Ahhh, sh&t too late!!

Dont get me wrong, I dont care if most guys are older I'm just wondering around what age most decide to make their move as I believe I have moved very early in life.

I totally agree with you on the money aspect of the post as Im not the smartest tool in the shed either & the monthly checks just finished coming in by the way. I still have my business and for now things are all bright but Im definitely a realist & am aware that things can change quickly but thats the same wherever we are.... So for now I will go with the flow!!! :0)

My friend was 34 when he settled here from the UK I was 49 and there are many with ages in-between. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
My friend was 34 when he settled here from the UK I was 49 and there are many with ages in-between.

One of my friends married a Filipina and settled in Phili when he was around 25. 

(Moved later to Sweden, but have estate in Phili still, and plan to move back, when the kids have got Swedish education.)

ForADay
Posted
Posted

There are also a lot more younger western women here than last time I was here.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

i made the move in 2007 at the age of 43. Still working but not quite able to retire. I have established my retirement household and still working up my retirement kitty/investments. My goal is full retirement by 55 (6 more years).

• Like 1