How Old Were You Guys When You Settled Down In The Philippines & Why?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What is social Security?   It is a tax scheme that was used to encourage people to retire.  They tax the young to pay the old.  The mistake too many people make is to think of it as a regular retirement plan.  Basically it is a Ponzi scheme that you have no choice but participate.  Luckily my job of the last 15 years did not participate (school district) - many government jobs don't participate.  But I have enough credit built up from earlier jobs that I can still withdraw - but at a very discounted rate, my retirement from the school district will count against me as income... long story... bad program all around.

But it should buy me a bag of rice in my old age!   :tiphat:

well as the saying goes, every little helps

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

What is social Security?   It is a tax scheme that was used to encourage people to retire.  They tax the young to pay the old.  The mistake too many people make is to think of it as a regular retirement plan.  Basically it is a Ponzi scheme that you have no choice but participate.

The Ponzi analogy was made by your governor back when he was campaigning for higher office, wasn't it? I can see the comparison, I just don't buy it. There are huge differences between the two. I am, however, very glad I "had no choice but participate", especially around the 3rd of every month. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

What is social Security?   It is a tax scheme that was used to encourage people to retire.  They tax the young to pay the old.  The mistake too many people make is to think of it as a regular retirement plan.  Basically it is a Ponzi scheme that you have no choice but participate.  Luckily my job of the last 15 years did not participate (school district) - many government jobs don't participate.  But I have enough credit built up from earlier jobs that I can still withdraw - but at a very discounted rate, my retirement from the school district will count against me as income... long story... bad program all around.

But it should buy me a bag of rice in my old age!   :tiphat:

Oh. In Sweden it's a forced on Pyramid scam, giving them born during 1940-49 advantage =The age group that decided it...  :mocking:  

Now they start saying there will not be enough money in the system for us born later. Some months ago the Swedish Prime minister talk about we need to raise the retirement age to 75...  :boohoo:  :hystery:

(I plan to work until around that age anyway, but I did expect to get significant higher monthly retirement pay by that, giving me more total if I reach the age I aim at reaching  (90)  :)     but I would have got more total if I become older than 81.)

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'm 50 long years old, wish I had of moved years ago but until I have enough money I wont be doing so. My guess is 2060 if lucky but might need assistance then to get off plane.  :no:

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Oh... and in case I haven't mentioned it lately.... I am closing on my house today and buying my plane ticket!  I will be here for about a week then it's off to Antique!  I think 48 is plenty old enough  :dance:                  

Been retired for 6 weeks and sure don't miss working yet!  :tiphat:   

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Mike from BDA
Posted
Posted

45.  Been here four months now....and loving it!!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
davewe
Posted
Posted

My plan gets a bit complicated. I'm 60 but can't retire till 65. First there's the standard reason - more money. Secondly my kids are teens and I can't leave them yet. OK, sometimes I want to but I won't :no:

So we are in the process of the K1 to bring Janet here (hopefully in the fall). By 65 I will have the retirement fund properly built and the youngest will be 18, so I am getting out of dodge, hopefully the day I hit 65.

Only other possible obstacle to retirement in PI is that at this point Janet is not sure she wants to return to PI. So we will look at other potential retirement spots. Just checked out Thailand and while we had fun she missed PI while she was there, so that might be out. Maybe by the time we've traveled a few more places she'll decide that PI is the best place to be - as long as we are together.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Ynot
Posted
Posted

Ive not made the move, i'm obviously not as smart as some, I still have 5 years to go before I have sufficient super to fund my life there. I am 56, so I will be 61 by the time i move to paradise!!!

• Like 3