How Old Were You Guys When You Settled Down In The Philippines & Why?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I retired at 35 but I will never be fully retired....!

:mocking:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

God willing, we will move this year.  I am 63.

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Made the move when I was 50, having been retired 3 times, lost all my money and went back to work! (Ha what can I say, thick headed, and enjoy life to much, would need Bill Gates money to pay for my retirement).

Now 57, and have no regrets (about the move) just wish I would learn how to invest money before spending it all!

Retirement age is still a few years away, no pension and no other income....., still don't regret the move.

That might have something to do with my beautiful 25 year old wife and daughter who is now 2 years and 6 months old.

Papa Carl

• Like 5

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Just as an additional note, I had previously stated that I knew that I could combine my Canadian, British and Philippines Old Age Pension, SSS etc. as 1 entity when I was old enough to claim.

Here is a link for the UK pensions that explains this.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/benefits/state-pension/state-pension-arrangements-in-social/

And this is the UK official web site that you would contact to find out if you can claim your pension while living in the Philippines.

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre

And here is the Philippine  web site that also list Canada, the UK with the Philippine SSS payments. (this is not the correct article, as it is for OFW's however if you look further on the site you will find the appropriate page)

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/region/asro/bangkok/events/sis/download/paper51.pdf

Not sure this is the right place to put this, however as so many previous posts referred to pensions and contributions etc. I thought I would add it. If it belongs somewhere else I trust someone will move it there.

Thanks

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I was 60 when I moved to Cebu City. In November 2009 I completed 35 years of government service and I was 60 which qualified me for full retirement. I was planning ahead for about one year so I moved just 2 weeks after I retired. I was living fine on my retirement but things got even better when I started receiving SS when I turned 62. I believe I retired at the best time for me and I have never regretted moving here.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

hi all, still have 66 more pay days before i make the move, but thinking on i could go sooner, its the nest egg i am trying to make bigger, but for what???.

If my plans come to life we will be able to live on the rental income and my private pension and other little things i may have and that is to last me till my state pension kicks in after another 6 years.

It is getting harder to not think about moving sooner then later but dont we all think that

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Just as an additional note, I had previously stated that I knew that I could combine my Canadian, British and Philippines Old Age Pension, SSS etc. as 1 entity when I was old enough to claim.

Lucky you. My Filipina's wife's 82 year old Filipina mother has been denied her pension "because her daughter is living with a foreigner"!!!!

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted
Lucky you. My Filipina's wife's 82 year old Filipina mother has been denied her pension "because her daughter is living with a foreigner"!!!!

If her or her husband has paid into the system,They cannot stop her from getting her pension because of that reason..

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

If her or her husband has paid into the system,They cannot stop her from getting her pension because of that reason..

Sounds like someone in the SSS office is taking the money and telling her she does not qualify.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
FredM
Posted
Posted

I had been visiting the Philippines since my early twenties but I was 48 before I actually bought some land and built a house. I have been working overseas for years widely in the Gulf but also in Australia. I met my wife who was an OFW in the United Arab Emirates. After a spell working in remote areas of Australia we decided to take some time out and find our ideal place. We travelled over much of the PI before finally settling on Bohol. Basically because its a beautiful place, peaceful and reasonably close to international transport links. Currently I am back in the Gulf but yearn for the day when I go home for good.

• Like 3