One Sack Of Rice Needed To Jail A Pedophile

Bruce
Posted
Posted
This 14 yr old was up until recently, in school, but WAY behind.

Together with them as SAME age as herself?

If so, not odd she get behind, which make her lose confiedience, which make her get more behind...

I believe better be put together with them at similar level.

Same as the foster parrents did, can be done by biological parents too,

but yes sure easier in 1st world where there are special school classes for students with less capacity.

Schools in the Philippines do NOT have same age students in each class. True story. I took a street kid at 13 who had started but not finished 2nd grade. I paid his fees for the term and he was put back into 2nd grade! Did not work out too well.

Bruce, I think your young street ward would be better off with home schooling. Regardless of the fact that he was on the street, he probably learned a bit more there than most would give him credit for.. If there are 4 of us and I only steal 3 lunches, that means I have to find one more lunch to steal or beg... Sorry! Poor humour but do you see my point? If he could have been worked with to find out what he knew and then bring him up to speed on the rest of the work, he may have done quite well and possibly stayed around to finish school - or at least to a level that would give him options. Or am I just reaching on this?

Sadly, he is too far gone. He PREFERS to sleep outside at the open air market. Lacks the ability to consentrate well and laughs inappropriatley at things and has hurt small animals. So he is allowed to come ans shower and do laundy at the house and he is paid for small jobs while I am there. But in the long run, he is too far gone to change. 16 now, mother long gone and father a drunk. Raised on the streets by other older kids. Has an abnormal fear of ghosts at night which I think may be a misdirected refference to being abuse while he was sleeping at night and then being told it is 'ghosts' that were after him.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
This 14 yr old was up until recently, in school, but WAY behind.

Together with them as SAME age as herself?

If so, not odd she get behind, which make her lose confiedience, which make her get more behind...

I believe better be put together with them at similar level.

Same as the foster parrents did, can be done by biological parents too,

but yes sure easier in 1st world where there are special school classes for students with less capacity.

Schools in the Philippines do NOT have same age students in each class. True story. I took a street kid at 13 who had started but not finished 2nd grade. I paid his fees for the term and he was put back into 2nd grade! Did not work out too well.

OK. Do you mean she was way behind 1st graders in elementary school too?

I do not know how to answer that. Below is a cut and paste of the 1st email I recieved about her, with the pics you have seen already, telling me about her situation. It was written by the woman who runs the day to day charity work for me in Catbalogan.

The girl in this photo is Mercedita a 14 yr. old who is in elementary grade 5 student who was rape by her step-father. According to her while her mother is at work doing laundry to other people her step father abuse her. before she left home going to school her step father told her to come back home during school snack time and she was treatened if she won't come and will not obey him he will kill mercedita's mother and her brother and sister the reason why she keep her mouth shut until the time come her stomach gets bigger and which the teacher was noticed. To make the story short the rapist is still at large all though how much the mother wants the rapist get podlock at jail she can't do it as she got less time and money for the processing for the case she needs to work to feed her children.

So, that is the story. And I posted the pics and here we are.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

That is a very sad tale.

Sometimes it kind of makes me want to yell at people but I know it wouldn't do any good.

One of the things I have thought about doing over the years is to start an orphanage or home for homeless children... I don't know if I would be able to do that for long in the Philippines though. Just too many children and too many senseless ways they have been mistreated by some.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

That is a very sad tale.

Sometimes it kind of makes me want to yell at people but I know it wouldn't do any good.

One of the things I have thought about doing over the years is to start an orphanage or home for homeless children... I don't know if I would be able to do that for long in the Philippines though. Just too many children and too many senseless ways they have been mistreated by some.

Well if you do a search on street kids / orphans in the Philippines on YOUTUBE.COM you will see a lot of others trying to help. Just a drop in the bucket, but you can make a positive change in the lives of a few kids or adults if you put in the effort.

As for an actual orphanage... I really do not even like kids! But as an aging Kano, I see things that I do not like and things that I may be able to change for the better, so I do make an effort. However, I do it at an arms length. Since I do not like kids and I can not own actual land in the Philippines, I set things up so I am simply a figure head and fund raiser. The actual 'work' is done by local people for me.

The most important thing you are saying is they you will try to make an effort. Which is leaps and bounds beyond what most other people are willing to do. Do what you can with what you have and be happy in your life that you did what you could.....

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The most important thing you are saying is they you will try to make an effort. Which is leaps and bounds beyond what most other people are willing to do.

You have no way of knowing what "most people" are doing. Don't make assumptions about others just because they don't choose to contribute to your particular cause.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
The most important thing you are saying is they you will try to make an effort. Which is leaps and bounds beyond what most other people are willing to do.

You have no way of knowing what "most people" are doing. Don't make assumptions about others just because they don't choose to contribute to your particular cause.

I am giving him encouragement, not belittling others...... My continuing these for the past couple of years is to encourage others to 'do something', not to join or support my personal efforts unless they want to do so.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Situations like this are tragic, but too common. If the man is still giving any kind of support to the family it is not in the mother's best interest to incarcerate him. If he goes to jail who feed the daughter's new baby? From a middle class perspective I would say protecting the daughter is most important. But when you are struggling to survive it is surprising what you can do. I look back at my early 20's and I am surprised at what I put up with, what I accepted, what I ate... being poor sucks! I joke that I am American I don't understand what "hungry" is, but I do remember - and no one should have to live like that. It is easy to judge others when you do not understand their situation.

I will not have a lot of extra money for my first few years over there, but as various retirement plans kick in I will become fairly well off (Filipino well off if not American well off). So if I live long enough I do plan on helping as I can. It may only seem like a drop in the bucket, but instead of felling bad for only helping a few people look at it from the perspective of the ones that got helped.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I know how you feel, Tuka. The way the dollar keeps dropping to the peso, I"m starting to wonder how things will turn out in a few years though. Still, I know I can live better in the Philippines than I can here in Canada.

I am part of a group that is supporting 3 young girls here in Canada but we are on the verge of being phased out. The parents died in a fire a couple years ago (no insurance) and the oldest daughter was going to quit school to support herself and her sisters rather than having them all going into the system. Instead the group I am a member of is paying for their rent and food and daily needs along with making sure that they can all continue school. The second oldest is graduating this summer from university. The youngest still has 2 more years. They are both going to be teachers. The oldest is done this year too - she will be using doctor before her name. And all 3 have promised to do the same for some other group of kids. I do have to admit that I am glad this is almost done... The girls actually have a bigger budget than I do right now... hehe!

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think most is a reasonable term if you add up the numbers of who does what or anything, Philippines or anywhere. I did not see anything about contributing to any particular cause so perhaps best not to make assumptions of what people are saying.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

While we are talking about most people, I believe most people who are helping the poor in the Philippines do not go on forums bragging about what they are doing. For example, I have never told anyone that I'm helping to support and send to school 5 kids who are not my wife's brothers or sisters, so don't judge others because most people keep private things private. Its a Western thing but in the Philippines everyone wants to know everyone's business.

• Like 4