One Sack Of Rice Needed To Jail A Pedophile

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Braggiing about trying to help a person in need sometimes has its own purpose, which is to inspire or shame others into doing something. The catchy line for this topic is one way for me to get a feedback whether or not others in the forum feel it will get others to contribute rice and money to assist a vulnerable child. It seems the consensus is that it won't. So the long term solution (protecting the child) is still not there.

I understand this is not a unique case. There are other children subjected to similar abuse. All of us have limited resources.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I mentioned in JJR's sister post (5 Friends Card) that I was involved in a group supporting 3 sisters locally. I didn't do this to brag but rather to see if anybody else would decide to get the bug and immediately go out and help somebody else. Hopefully it will work.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Braggiing about trying to help a person in need sometimes has its own purpose, which is to inspire or shame others into doing something. The catchy line for this topic is one way for me to get a feedback whether or not others in the forum feel it will get others to contribute rice and money to assist a vulnerable child. It seems the consensus is that it won't.

Bragging has no useful purpose. Publicly advertising a worthwhile charity or cause does, and this charity has the permission of the owner to do so. But there have been comments in this and other threads bemoaning the fact that others aren't doing enough and that's what I, as a member, objected to. No one can know, nor is it anyone's business, what others are doing. It is a personal and private matter.

You wanted feedback: The mission of this cause is to help children. Using a "catchy line" with sexual connotations (pedophile) is inappropriate to it's purpose.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Braggiing about trying to help a person in need sometimes has its own purpose, which is to inspire or shame others into doing something. The catchy line for this topic is one way for me to get a feedback whether or not others in the forum feel it will get others to contribute rice and money to assist a vulnerable child. It seems the consensus is that it won't.

Bragging has no useful purpose. Publicly advertising a worthwhile charity or cause does, and this charity has the permission of the owner to do so. But there have been comments in this and other threads bemoaning the fact that others aren't doing enough and that's what I, as a member, objected to. No one can know, nor is it anyone's business, what others are doing. It is a personal and private matter.

You wanted feedback: The mission of this cause is to help children. Using a "catchy line" with sexual connotations (pedophile) is inappropriate to it's purpose.

From a technical aspect, you would be correct. The step father is not a true pedophile. That, by defination, is a sexual attraction to PRE pubescent kids. At 14, she is POST pubescent and therefore the step father is just a pervert taking advantage of the situation and a girl who is not in a true position to say NO.

But as a generic term, pedophile does send a message and attracts the attention of the reader.

As it is now, I will not be returning until at least March to the area because of my recent purchase of the thrift store and getting that running on a program. Once I do return to Phils, I will be in a better position to assess the situation and see what, if any remedy is available without negative side effects to the girl. Assuming that she / her mother will tolerate any outside interference.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I was not aware that my posts were of the bragging nature. Which is not my intent. It is not now nor was it ever about 'me'.

I am in the position of fund raiser and story teller of what I see and experience in the Philippines.

If I say nothing and keep it to myself, then there is ZERO chance of getting any outside help for the cause. Now, if I let it be known what I am doing and what the situation is, I am 'bragging'?

Just doing what I can with what I have to work with here. No bragging intended.

Yes. I find it good charity try to get all "free PR" as you can get.

(Back when I were teenager, when I weren't front person of any club, then I tried to AVOID attention, because I prefer calm life finding the attention I got just from locals by my own sport results being to much, so I answered as litle as possible when I were interviewed,

but when I became club leader it became my work to promote the club, then I exersised talking "in headlines" (=saying things worth geting headlines) which made media want to give my club much more attention than it was worth back then   :)   Since then I done much such for youth organisations and some for a small aid organisation too. After much exersise it have become an habbit talking "in headlines" , which can be perceived as bragging. Media like statements as "we expect we will reach the Elite in 4 yours", but they don't find "we will do our best" any much interesting   :)   Similar with "give face" to aid needs compared to just saying help is needed.)

Edit: For instance Hand-in-Hand has got much "free PR" at least in Swedish media assisted by the founder is well known since he was CEO in a multinational company. (Hand-in-Hand startup now in the Philippines with their "Help-to-self-help" with some free basic business education and micro loan possibility to start capital.)

Recently has a not known small businessman got much attention in Swedish media to his efforts to help Philippine victims of typhon Bopha. (He is going there now to check how to use the money best, most of it come from his company and he himself.)

Edited by Thomas

Americano
Posted
Posted

I believe some misunderstood what I meant.  Starting a charity or asking for help is not bragging.  I didn't mean that at all.  What I meant was most foreigners who are helping others in the Philippines are not bragging about it or even telling other people on a forum so you don't know who is helping and who isn't.  Therefore the number of foreigners helping may be higher than you think.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I believe some misunderstood what I meant.  Starting a charity or asking for help is not bragging.  I didn't mean that at all.  What I meant was most foreigners who are helping others in the Philippines are not bragging about it or even telling other people on a forum so you don't know who is helping and who isn't.  Therefore the number of foreigners helping may be higher than you think.

That makes a lot of sense.  I haven't seen any bragging in this thread, and now the comment makes more sense.  It is easy to get misunderstood when we are just using a couple sentences at a time.  I really don't see me setting up a charity but I will help out friends and family as much as I am able to.  So I will be one of the invisible helpers. Well, as invisible as a fat white guy in a Santa hat can be invisible... 

Charities have to advertise a lot just to get people to know about them and remember them when they decide to donate somewhere.  It is like in Rudyard Kipling's "Kim" a Buddhist monk asks a street kid what the method of begging in this town - in silence or loudly.  The boy laughs and says if you beg in silence you starve in silence. 

• Like 2