Jump to content

Brief Description Of 13A Visa Process In Cebu:


Recommended Posts

Simple as could be! Actually thanks for getting all this. I have looked around but this looks like a pretty good list. But... 8 trips, huh? It's more fun in the Philippines!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Mr. Bossman, It was after 2am when I stared the topic so I was too tired to figure out why I couldn't paste the information like you did.

Yes, the total process from beginning to end takes 8 visits to BOI, but that's during about a 14 months period. Eight visits seems to be the minimum. I don't know why they can't do the interview while you are already there since it only takes a few minutes. The reason 8 visits is the minimum is if you don't have a document or one of the requirements you will need to come back another day or if you arrive at BOI too late in the day you will not have enough time to complete everything that day and will have to come back.

On January 23 I applied for my Permanent 13A ACR I-card which was my 7th trip to BOI. This morning which was January 25 BOI called me saying they needed a copy of my Marriage Certificate so today my wife and I made our 8th trip to BOI concerning my 13A Visa.

The lesson to be learned is always be prepared for the unexpected.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The balikbayan stamp is one I have not really looked into. If it is much easier I may have to check it out too. I got some time to figure it all out still. These forums are a big help! :tiphat:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information. Yesterday, I spent the entire day (precisely 6 1/2 hrs) at the Mandaue BI office on Step 3. 98% of that was waiting for my name to be called after processing all the forms. The other 2% was getting fingerprints twice - once w/ink, once with a digital scanner then a photo. I have to go back in a month to pick up the card (they say). I would never do this again. If you're married, retired, and have no intention to work (that's me) the balikbayan stamp is far easier and has no fees, no BI as long as you leave once a year. Traveling out of the country yearly is actually a healthy and good thing. My opinion only.

Not that I like to think of 'bad' things happening, but what happens if you go the balikbayan route and your wife dies or becomes unable to travel with you in order to re-enter together? :why-me:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not that I like to think of 'bad' things happening, but what happens if you go the balikbayan route and your wife dies or becomes unable to travel with you in order to re-enter together?

You can't go the balikbayan route if your spouse is not with you when you enter the country so that's one benefit of the visa. Another is that you can take advantage of the excellent employment opportunities and work if you choose. Everyone's situation is different. I have no plans to take advantage of all the great jobs here and I live more then 2 hrs from the nearest office. Given the time, expense, and aggravation involved with getting the visa the balikbayan seems (in hindsight) to have been the better choice for me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Manager
Not that I like to think of 'bad' things happening, but what happens if you go the balikbayan route and your wife dies or becomes unable to travel with you in order to re-enter together?

You can't go the balikbayan route if your spouse is not with you when you enter the country so that's one benefit of the visa. Another is that you can take advantage of the excellent employment opportunities and work if you choose. Everyone's situation is different. I have no plans to take advantage of all the great jobs here and I live more then 2 hrs from the nearest office. Given the time, expense, and aggravation involved with getting the visa the balikbayan seems (in hindsight) to have been the better choice for me.

Are you saying a foreigner can work on a balikbayan visa?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you saying a foreigner can work on a balikbayan visa?

Just the opposite, you cannot. I was referring to the visa (13a).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...