Looking For A Nice Rural Province Near Cebu.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Hi! I'm interested in Bohol. We have spent 4 weekends in nice hotels in Tagbilaran and the place is developing a bit- can't say the same for the roads though- but a nice new mall has opened on the outskirts. I know a lot of foreigners live in one area just outside the city- is it Panglao or am I mixed up?  But what really struck me was that apart from the main road to the Chocolate Hills and north there appear to be very few other roads. On a map I saw it looked like about 3/4 of Bohol island was pretty well impossible to go to except maybe by habal habal bikes. Is that the case or was my map a piece of crap? I'd like to know because it's a nice ferry ride from Cebu but we've pretty well exhausted the main areas for sightseeing and need to find more places to visit next time.  Chris McG.

Try google earth. Some areas very clear and others blurry. Also there is a elevation scale on the cursor to tell you heights where you point the cursor. Also, remember that the more tourist(y) the area, the greater you living costs will be as time moves on....

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Hi! I'm interested in Bohol. We have spent 4 weekends in nice hotels in Tagbilaran and the place is developing a bit- can't say the same for the roads though- but a nice new mall has opened on the outskirts. I know a lot of foreigners live in one area just outside the city- is it Panglao or am I mixed up?  But what really struck me was that apart from the main road to the Chocolate Hills and north there appear to be very few other roads. On a map I saw it looked like about 3/4 of Bohol island was pretty well impossible to go to except maybe by habal habal bikes. Is that the case or was my map a piece of crap? I'd like to know because it's a nice ferry ride from Cebu but we've pretty well exhausted the main areas for sightseeing and need to find more places to visit next time.  Chris McG.

Yes, Panglao develops more and more to a "tourist place", a new airport is (planed to) built there too,

so I like big parts of Bohol EXCEPT Panglao and Tagbilaran   :mocking:  

There are "highways"* following the coasts at all sides, plus it's a "diagonal" main road from Tagbilaran side to the middle parts with the Chockolate hills, further on up to NorthEast Bohol. Big parts of the main road system is bad, some of it has even lost/never had concrete, in one place at the north side it look/looked as they got out of money during building it   :)  because suddenly the concrete ended at the highway!

*Province "highways"  =A road network connecting the provinces with each other, ment to be good concrete roads, but many are broken. Normaly they are NARROW, scary to meet a big vehicle at them. But they are good enough for a Filipin family I know to use when they go from work in Manila, through flight to Tagbilaran, home to NorthEast Bohol. They go by bus (big jeepneys) or when they are a suiting amount of people they fill a taxicab and go by it all the way, so the roads are useable.  (Otherwice they could have fly Manila to Cebu, and take a rather short ferry trip to Talibon, but they prefer going by the diagonal road.)

---

Btw  here it's nice too

Buswag Lake, Asturias at the westcoast northwest of Cebu, but more people think so - the government want it to be a tourist area   :boohoo: :)

E g this estate ad show some views from there

http://sulit.com.ph/7734847

• Like 1

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

I just spent 4 months in Leyte and really liked it. If it was not for a certain girl there that I do not want to run in to (or be tempted by) I would move there (Ormoc).

However I will be moving to Davao City in just a few weeks. Like you too many people but as mentioned there are some ver rule parts. My late wifes family are therer and she owns property there so it just made to most since to go where I have family already.

Good luck in your search - maybe we will cross paths in Davao.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
dick mammoth
Posted
Posted

One thing to look at would be rainfall. i see ormoc in Leyte has an average of about 250 cms of rainfall a year as oppossed to say Cebu city which has an average of about 160 cms a year.

Quite a difference especially if you ride a bike.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

One thing to look at would be rainfall. i see ormoc in Leyte has an average of about 250 cms of rainfall a year as oppossed to say Cebu city which has an average of about 160 cms a year. Quite a difference especially if you ride a bike.

I am moving to Baguio in the next few weeks. Average annual rainfall is only 450 cms/year. Most of that comes between Jun-Sep.

July and August are the heaviest and I expect I will find that a good time to go on vacation away from Baguio.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

The amount of annual rainfall on Cebu island varies a lots from area to area. This is very evident after you have lived here a while and traveled around.  For example, we get a lot less rain here in Carcar which is on the South Eastern side of the island verses Moalboal which is on the South Western side of the island.

If your a motorcycle rider and plan to ride a lots then maybe you want a dryer climate but if you're planning to do farming then maybe you want a wetter climate.

Can those who quoted average annual rainfall for different areas provide their source?  It would be interesting to do a comparison between different sources.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

At Bohol the Phili government have project trying to make it the rice metropol of Phili, by building dams and irrigation network. Such land they have sold to Filipins for only 40p/sqm. Some sell further for such prices too. Not irrigated land can be bought for less, Hilly landscapes can be bought for 15-20p/sqm and sometimes even less, some of them with sea view from the hills. (Just beside ocean cost more normaly.)

It's rather common Filipinas say "It's not dangerous in my province, but in XX (=a bit away) there they are dangerous"    :hystery:  so hard to know what's true without living there first. That's a good reason to do as many say =Rent (first).

Concerning 1 hour drive to city, it's much people in the Philippines, so they have at least one city/town in each province. So if you settle down beside an OK road, you can surely reach a town/city within less than one hour in whole Phili.  It's just around 100 km to cross whole Bohol down to Tagbilaran where you have both main airport and ferry port. On the north side of the island you have smaller ferries having short distance to Cebu.

not sure where you are in Leyte are you in Ormoc or in the Hills above  or to the the south.    But there are ferries from from Baybay to Bohol so you dont' have to go to cebu and then transfer to Bohol.    Drive your own car on the Roro.  Get off and drive on the circular highway to other parts like Anda  which is away from masses in Tagbil..

• Like 2

dick mammoth
Posted
Posted

Can those who quoted average annual rainfall for different areas provide their source?  It would be interesting to do a comparison between different sources.

http://www.levoyageur.net/weather-city-ORMOC-LEYTE.html

http://www.cebucity.gov.ph/about-cebu-city?start=1

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

http://www.levoyageur.net/weather-city-ORMOC-LEYTE.html

http://www.cebucity.gov.ph/about-cebu-city?start=1

Thank you DM.....great follow up!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_Philippines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_Philippines#Special:_Baguio

• Like 3