How Well Are Traffic Laws Enforced In The Philippines?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I thought traffic laws were only for if you are a Kano and sometimes (maybe) others in a traffic accident...  (always the Kano in a traffic accident regardless of who was at fault!)

:mocking:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Forget about other people and what they are doing. YOU represent 2 things. 1st is the ability to actually pay a traffic ticket and 2nd There is a chance you cary your license in a little bifold holder with a 500p note tucked inside.

Either way the traffic officer is happy. And does not have to hear any crap stories or have to deal with being related by blood or marriage to any traffic offenders.  

Remember YOU have a target on your back all the time.

PS..... Welcome to the Philippines! (Where dirving is more fun)

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 5

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

I always find it depends on the time of day too...... We like to call it jolibee time, a time when the traffic enforcers actually do there job in the hope of finding someone( preferably foreign)who will fund there breakfast, lunch, dinner.......

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Forget about other people and what they are doing. YOU represent 2 things. 1st is the ability to actually pay a traffic ticket and 2nd There is a chance you cary your license in a little bifold holder with a 500p note tucked inside.

My wife and her close friend were stopped on EDSA in Makati by a group of traffic enforcers standing at the corner. She is blond and blue eyed married to a Filipino businessman for more than 40 years. She drove because her driver was sick that day. The violation was going through a red light. Never mind that 10 other cars drove through the light behind them. The police officer refused to give her a ticket or release them. He was waiting for her to hire a good lawyer named, "Benigno Aquino." The reply was, "I am sorry, but my regualr lawyer is Manuel Quezon." After some argument, the agreement was a compromise and she was to hire "Manuel A. Roxas." My wife couldn't figure out what was going on. It was explained later that Aquino is the face on a P500 note, Quezon on a P20 note and Roxas on the P100. 

Makati is considered a very sophisticated city and conversations with police officers have to be very polite.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Here, the police do not get paid for court time if it happens on their days off. They can't take a chance that the court date will be on a working day, so they don.t write tickets. It is easier to do nothing. Except to foreigners, who pay the fine on the spot (Jolibee time). If everyone had to pay for every traffic violation, many millions of pesos could be collected.....and where would the money go........?

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Either way the traffic officer is happy. And does not have to hear any crap stories or have to deal with being related by blood or marriage to any traffic offenders.  

Remember YOU have a target on your back all the time.

PS..... Welcome to the Philippines! (Where dirving is more fun)

I was told by an off duty cop (friend of the family ) That 200 pesos is the norm. When I was pulled over ( no helmet. no registration, and something else ) I was told the fines would be a total of 4500 pesos and 1 day in a driving school of some sort. The cop  said I am going to be your friend today if we can work it out right here. I said how much ? He said how much you want to pay. So I took out 500 and he made me go behind a tree with him to pay him out of site. I paid him 500 before I had talked to the off duty cop. When I first got to the Philippines I was so use to people waving to me that a few times I have been waved over by the police and just waved back and kept on driving thinking they were just being friendly, But no one ever came after me.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Of the first 100 riders only one was wearing a helmet = 1% Riders with a Helmet

Maybe they are in a grace period?

Seems to be very regional too.

I thought about the helmets while out on National Hwy in Laguna today, and probably saw 50 cycles.  100% helmets.

They don't allow multiple back riders on the main hwy either.  You might see it once in a while.  You see them on the side streets in the neighborhoods sometimes.  We use a trike driver who will have his son sit on the tank in front of him while we are on the side streets, but when we go on the hwy he crawls into the sidecar with us.  Apparently he go a ticket / fine for having him on the tank, on the hwy.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

The very first time I was stopped for not wearing a helmet and for over loading I was given a ticket.  When some of our Filipino friends heard about the ticket they couldn't believe it, they wondered why I didn't just get a warning like they do.

Later I told my wife, after we got the ticket  we should have sit there a while to see if any Filipinos were given tickets too.

I know I could have given him a bribe but paying a bribe just encourages more corruption.  If no one paid a bribe a lot of the corruption would end.   Its not my responsibility to buy corrupt people a meal at Jollibees and I refuse to do it. I would rather pay the ticket at the LTO office.  The only thing I hate is the double standard.  One for Filipinos and one for foreigners.

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted

How well are traffic laws enforced?.......................Geez, and all this time i didn't know there were any :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

Seriously, as with most everything else here there is one rule for locals and another for the likes of you and me. I too am living away from the main road in Carcar and i'd say i've seen maybe 1 or 2 wearing a helmet in the past 2 weeks! Now, if you or me do it, how long would it be before we're stopped?...........i'd say not very long at all.

I'm a smartarse, i don't ride a bike at the moment, and if i see a cop while driving i just wind up the windows (full tint all round).

• Like 3