How Well Are Traffic Laws Enforced In The Philippines?

brock
Posted
Posted

Tinted windows illegal too ???

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Tinted windows doesn't seem to be illegal here because many vehicles have tinted windows so you can't see who is inside and that is what I plan to do when I buy a car or multi-cab.  Even when I travel to other provinces or islands on my motorcycle I wear my helmet, a face mask, jacket, gloves, and long pants so no one knows I'm a foreigner.  So far I have never been stopped or given a ticket because they think I'm a Filipino.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Tinted windows doesn't seem to be illegal here because many vehicles have tinted windows so you can't see who is inside and that is what I plan to do when I buy a car or multi-cab.  Even when I travel to other provinces or islands on my motorcycle I wear my helmet, a face mask, jacket, gloves, and long pants so no one knows I'm a foreigner.  So far I have never been stopped or given a ticket because they think I'm a Filipino.

Well tinted windows (and guns in cars) are an interesting thing in the US with respect to the police. Here in Florida, we have tinted windows on cars. There is a % of tint to stop at for the front windows and there is supposed to be no tint on the wind (shield here, screen for the Queen's subjects) AND if over 21, legal to keep a loaded handgun in the glove box, not it does not have to be locked, thank you vey much....

But, that is Florida... in New York or New Jersey.... have tinted windows and the cops do a TV style felony traffic stop with all their guns pointed at YOU. If they think you have a gun in the car... they may call in an air strike! This is always good for a laugh for the Florida cops who everyday, walk up on tinted windows and the very real possibility of a gun in the car... no big deal. Business as usual.

In Phils though, for the first time I saw a tinted wind shield / screen with such heavy tint the glass was BLACK with only a 4" strip across for the driver to look out. That was very odd looking for me the first few times I saw it. As for guns in the cars, does not seem to be a big deal for the cops. They look forward election time so they can search the cars and collect the guns for fun and profit!  

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I have full dark tint all round on my minivan, even the widscreen! I didn't ask for it, that's just how it was when i bought it. In Australia this is VERY illegal, but here it is obviously ok.

One bad thing about it is that it makes driving at night a whole new experience when ya can't see where you're going unless you got the high beam on! 

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have full dark tint all round on my minivan, even the widscreen! I didn't ask for it, that's just how it was when i bought it. In Australia this is VERY illegal, but here it is obviously ok.

One bad thing about it is that it makes driving at night a whole new experience when ya can't see where you're going unless you got the high beam on! 

Well as another thought, in the US, or LAND OF ATTORNEYS as some call it. If you have an accident especially at night, and go to court either criminal (kill someone) or civil (damages) the attorney will have a great point in going after you in that you could not see properly even if you wanted to and you had a 'duty' to remove the tint before driving.

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale Florida area. In the 3 counties around here, Miami, Broward and Palm Beach, there are over 70,000 (yes) listed attorneys. Just in these 3 counties. Entire careers are made in fighting traffic tickets and auto accidents. A sub industry is going on with 'foreigners' faking traffic accidents for quick cash.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have full dark tint all round on my minivan, even the widscreen! I didn't ask for it, that's just how it was when i bought it.

Be careful with that, I had the same on my front windshield but discovered that pedestrians and other drivers could not see a hand gesture eg, "go ahead" from the outside. I used good 3M tint, you can see out very well but not in. Between the tint and cut I changed the front 3 times till I got it where I was comfortable. Also consider the tint for night driving. 

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have full dark tint all round on my minivan, even the widscreen! I didn't ask for it, that's just how it was when i bought it.

Be careful with that, I had the same on my front windshield but discovered that pedestrians and other drivers could not see a hand gesture eg, "go ahead" from the outside. I used good 3M tint, you can see out very well but not in. Between the tint and cut I changed the front 3 times till I got it where I was comfortable. Also consider the tint for night driving. 

Mike,

You know you're not suppose motion for someone to go ahead of you.  You got to get in the Filipino spirit and say I'm going first so get out of my way.  Sometimes in heavy traffic you have to drive like that or you wont be going anywhere because everyone is trying to be first.

Is the 3M tint you used available in the Philippines?

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

You know you're not suppose motion for someone to go ahead of you.  You got to get in the Filipino spirit and say I'm going first so get out of my way.  Sometimes in heavy traffic you have to drive like that or you wont be going anywhere because everyone is trying to be first.   Is the 3M tint you used available in the Philippines?

Actually, it was my wife who has never driven in her life who noticed that but she was absolutely right (as usual). All kidding aside, it's pretty important that pedestrians and other drivers can see your hand motions. As you know, the universal signal here for "get out of my way, I'm coming" is to flash your high beams. That's a good thing to know. I hired a tint guy from the Nissan dealer, they use 3M there but they also use the cheap stuff. If you buy a brand new Nissan you get "free tinting". Guess which one?

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
Americano
Posted
Posted

Well it finally happened. One of those 17 drivers with no lights that I recorded in just 15 minutes hit someone who didn't see him coming.  Tonight Rudy from Belgium was terrified when told that his girlfriend's mother while walking had been hit by a tricycle with no lights and she was carrying his baby in her arms. Rudy rush to the hospital not knowing what he would find. All he knew was that the baby went flying from the grandmother's arms and landed in the street. I believe it was a miracle that the baby was able to come home but the grandmother is still in the hospital with a few cuts and bruises and high blood pressure. Driving with no lights at night is one of the main problems on the roads and highways in the Philippines and it could very easily be enforced. Many of the drivers with no lights do it by choice because they cut the wires believing it will save gas, so you could say ignorance is the main cause. There's a lot of ignorance in the Philippines because the people are so poorly educated.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I see so many cars running with no lights (and some jeepneys).  The load on the cars alternator is negligible!  But they will turn them on for a second if they think they see something and switch them right back off.

And.... helmet law?  There is a helmet law?  Could have fooled me!

• Like 1