How Well Are Traffic Laws Enforced In The Philippines?

GregZ
Posted
Posted

The very first time I was stopped for not wearing a helmet and for over loading I was given a ticket.  When some of our Filipino friends heard about the ticket they couldn't believe it, they wondered why I didn't just get a warning like they do.

Later I told my wife, after we got the ticket  we should have sit there a while to see if any Filipinos were given tickets too.

I know I could have given him a bribe but paying a bribe just encourages more corruption.  If no one paid a bribe a lot of the corruption would end.   Its not my responsibility to buy corrupt people a meal at Jollibees and I refuse to do it. I would rather pay the ticket at the LTO office.  The only thing I hate is the double standard.  One for Filipinos and one for foreigners.

Americano,

I've been reading your posts and you definitely hate more than ONLY "the double standard". :tiphat:   I want to assure you though that the laws are applied unfairly to everyone.  :hystery:  Seriously, I have Filipino friends that got tickets and paid them.  Most came from the roadside checks (Cebu City) for both over loading and helmet violations.  I hope that knowledge will somehow make a few folks here feel better.

Many of the drivers with no lights do it by choice because they cut the wires believing it will save gas,

I understand the logic followed in a lot of cases, but I just can't get this one.  Let's turn off the lights to save electricity!  The alternator is spinning anyway... use it.  Turning the lights on and off shortens the lifespan of the bulb reportedly.  So, no gain even if it is true.  I have seen the same thing with the car air conditioner; leave the fan on low instead of a more comfortable medium because it uses more gas?  I think not enough to matter if ANY.  The compressor is either running or not.  Back in 1980 it made a significant difference but not so much in today's cars.  :no:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Many of the drivers with no lights do it by choice because they cut the wires believing it will save gas,

I understand the logic followed in a lot of cases, but I just can't get this one.  Let's turn off the lights to save electricity!  The alternator is spinning anyway... use it.  Turning the lights on and off shortens the lifespan of the bulb reportedly.  So, no gain even if it is true.  I have seen the same thing with the car air conditioner; leave the fan on low instead of a more comfortable medium because it uses more gas?  I think not enough to matter if ANY.  The compressor is either running or not.  Back in 1980 it made a significant difference but not so much in today's cars.  :no:

I know people in the US that still swear that saves gas, even when I tell them the low speed/low temp setting is killing the compressor efficiency.  It does not have to be right - it is just a lot of them think.

But on a fairness note... Last week I saw a jeepney getting a ticket.  I don't know what for, but the officer was writing it.

2 months ago we were riding a trike home from the mall and he stopped at the edge of our barangay said he could not go any farther.  There was a checkpoint ahead of us and he was not properly licensed to be in our barangay.  When i told him I was not paying him a dime if he can't get me home he went through a series of dirt roads I had never seen.  I learned a lot about my barangay that day ha ha.  But also learned that he was going to get a big ticket!

And 5 months, on a cousins trike, we had 6 or 7 of us and he got a ticket for overloading.

So it does happen.  Just not very often.

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Here, the police do not get paid for court time if it happens on their days off. They can't take a chance that the court date will be on a working day, so they don.t write tickets. It is easier to do nothing. Except to foreigners, who pay the fine on the spot (Jolibee time). If everyone had to pay for every traffic violation, many millions of pesos could be collected.....and where would the money go........?

To answer that Jp, would be simple and the same if they were in certain parts of the US. Whichever cash drawer of whatever Jollibee, in the US it was the closest Dunkin' Donuts :thumbsup:

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tinted windows doesn't seem to be illegal here because many vehicles have tinted windows so you can't see who is inside and that is what I plan to do when I buy a car or multi-cab.  Even when I travel to other provinces or islands on my motorcycle I wear my helmet, a face mask, jacket, gloves, and long pants so no one knows I'm a foreigner.  So far I have never been stopped or given a ticket because they think I'm a Filipino.

I have done this on my truck that I use when travelling inter-island and thru Manila. It helps most of the "foreigner" targeted traffic stops. 

When riding my motorcycle, I also wear a modular helmet with tinted visor, gloves, jacket or long sleeve shirt, jeans and boots. 

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1

Cebudick
Posted
Posted

There dont seem to be any traffic laws here. I have never seen a policeman stopped at a vehicle unless an accident. A drivers written test here would be a joke, what questions would they have? The nicer the car you drive and the tint keep you safe from harrassment but keep that p500 note handy just in case.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In the USA highway men are waiting to ambush you and extort money from you everywhere while driving.

I like the fact that the philippines aren't control freaks when it comes to roads/driving and rarely pull people over for a traffic violation.

It would be much better if there were fewer checkpoints used  for helmets, registration and drivers license.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
In the USA highway men are waiting to ambush you and extort money from you everywhere while driving.

There are? Where?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There are? Where?

They usually go by the name police, sheriff or highway patrol.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

There are? Where?

They usually go by the name police, sheriff or highway patrol.

Oh yeah... Them! :th_unfair:

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Helmet law? There is a sign at the gate going into the University of Southern Mindanao that states "No Motorbike Helmets Allowed". Got to love the hypocrisy in that.

I am thinking of a good business in Mindanao. Put up one of those radar traffic speed signs and hire an officer to write tickets to those clocked over the posted speed limit. Just split half the proceeds with them since we know most drivers would like to take care of it on the spot :dance: