How Well Are Traffic Laws Enforced In The Philippines?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Helmet law? There is a sign at the gate going into the University of Southern Mindanao that states "No Motorbike Helmets Allowed". Got to love the hypocrisy in that.

I am thinking of a good business in Mindanao. Put up one of those radar traffic speed signs and hire an officer to write tickets to those clocked over the posted speed limit. Just split half the proceeds with them since we know most drivers would like to take care of it on the spot :dance:

You can buy a cheap radar gun off ebay or at some sports retailers for the purpose of checking the speed of a ball being thrown. Not certified for law enforcement, but no one in the Philippines would think about that.

I think you can make some money here! You supply the radar gun RENTAL and let the local cops do the rest! :hystery:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

There dont seem to be any traffic laws here. I have never seen a policeman stopped at a vehicle unless an accident. A drivers written test here would be a joke, what questions would they have? The nicer the car you drive and the tint keep you safe from harrassment but keep that p500 note handy just in case.

I have seen the police enforcing the law several times in Cebu city each time I have visited, the last time they were booking drivers in a one way street, apparently you can use it two ways up to a certain time and after that they were nabbing them, another time a guy on a motorbike did a u turn in Mango and they booked him. Thats just two that came straight to mind but I know I have seen it happening many other times. Unless something changed over the last 2 years its probably happening without you realizing.

:tiphat:  

Cebudick
Posted
Posted

Yes I'm sure your right about that its just that its so crazy out there there seem to be no rules or anyone enforcing any. What helps for me is keeping my speeds low enough that I can panic stop at any time. :)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Yes I'm sure your right about that its just that its so crazy out there there seem to be no rules or anyone enforcing any. What helps for me is keeping my speeds low enough that I can panic stop at any time.

Well out on Samar, many trucks and busses (very few actual cars there) have NO working tail lights. Also many replace their head light bulbs with low watt bulbs and some times colored bulbs such as red or yellow or blue. They are trying to save gas by having less of a load on the electrical system.

In town it is not so bad. But out of town, you can ride ip on these guys and only see their head light in front of them but not the actual vehicle. And it gets worse! As 'they' are coming up on a truck / buss with working headlights approaching them / you, YOU are blinded by the oncoming lights and since the 'thing' in front of you has no tail lights, you can actually rear end them before you see and have a chance to stop.

I have also seen several busses, on a regular route with NO working lights at all and a guy on top the bus with a simple flash light shining on the road in front of the bus.  

Unlike in the city of Cebu where there is police and support, when a bus or jeepney breaks down out on the road, it may be there for days! Often repaired on the spot with mechanics and parts being brought to the vehicle.... by bus!   

post-404-0-79146900-1376403028_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-34330900-1376403102_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-13725100-1376403160_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-44023400-1376403187_thumb.jpg

Driving is more fun in the Philippines!