Philippines Airlines

Markham
Posted
Posted

I have heard that the family was involved a while back in both leather and electronics in the US.

Proof you ask?  It was a family member named Dy...  And, as we know in China, the family name comes first...

It was the TanDy corporation - who had Radio Shack and Tandy Leather...

Ok, I go sit in the corner now....

:mocking:

Radio Shack traded as Tandy in the UK.

After I bought my ticket, PAL changed their non-stop Manila/Toronto to one stop Manila/Vancouver/Toronto. PAL has a good Mabuhay airmiles plan. I am told that you after you fly 4 times to same place, you get the next one free to same place.

Oh Canada allow PAL to fly there!  European Union don't allow any Phili airline company to fly passengers here, because no Phili airline follow the minimum security demands!

(At least European Union claim so. But perhaps it's a revenche :)  because Phili punish foreign flight companies with higher fees at Phili airports, but I believe EU realy think it's to bad security, because (if I remember corect) Phili airlines companies were baned earlier too.)

Oh dear, that is just so wrong! The EU was bound to take the ICAO report seriously which determined that inspection and audit procedures within the Philippine CAA were simply not up to international standards - and which led to the FAA restrictions. It has nothing to do with the airlines directly although they are prohibited from entering EEA airspace. After all, those two people who sit right at the front, they're not given parachutes so they're not about to take a plane aloft if they have any concerns about its safety.

The latest ICAO report is likely to result in the lifting of the FAA restrictions but as there remain one or two unresolved issues, the EU regulators may take a different view and keep the ban in place.

When it is lifted, both Cebu Pacific and PAL will want to establish services and I suggest that PAL, as a full-service carrier, will have much more success where Europe is concerned. I would, for example, expect them to use a couple of their brand new 777s on the Manila-Amsterdam route. As for Cebu Pacific's European forays, they need look no further than Tony Fernandez' Air Asia experience. That airline suffered substantial losses on its Kuala Lumpur-London (Stanstead) route and ceased operations after less than about one year. LCCs have never ever made money on long-haul routes (flights of 6+ hours' duration).

Incidentally, AirPhilsXpress (formerly Air Philippines and PAL Express) has transitioned from being an LCC and is now a full-service carrier. It is taking over most of PAL's domestic routes with the exception of the high-revenue Manila-Cebu and Manila-Davao where there is a demand for two class services.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

After all, those two people who sit right at the front, they're not given parachutes so they're not about to take a plane aloft if they have any concerns about its safety.

Good post.

But I wouldn't take the quoted sentence as any important evidience, Filipins aren't known as cautious - check the traffic  :hystery:

• 2 months later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted

After I bought my ticket, PAL changed their non-stop Manila/Toronto to one stop Manila/Vancouver/Toronto. PAL has a good Mabuhay airmiles plan. I am told that you after you fly 4 times to same place, you get the next one free to same place.

That's why I"m looking at Cathay Pacific.  Same basic time, costs are similar and they will take me to Cebu rather than Manila.

Return ticket Manila/Toronto with CP is just under $3000 but with PAL, it is $1763. Both have one stop. There is a lot of daylight between $3000 and $1763.

Bruce, are you enrolled in PAL's Mabuhay airmiles? A guy just told me that he goes Vancouver/Manila with PAL and after 4 flights, he gets the 5th one free.

Five trips with CP would cost $15,000 but only  $7052 with PAL if the 5th one is free.

Bruce, on our return with PAL to Manila, we have to get our bags then check in with PAL on to Bacolod. How do we avoid baggage fees from Manila to Bacolod?

I am a member of Mabuhay miles. But no free trips offered me yet. perhaps I should ask?

As for the bagage issue, because I like you, I looked up PAL and this is what I see. You sir! Are a lucky guy. Bacolod still flies in and out of Terminal 2.  5 flights a day.

Here is what happens when I book and how I save all those excess baggage fees BUT it may not apply to your situation, but you can try. I am not in LA. I have to fly to LA and then check in at the PAL terminal and wait for the flight to Manila. So, when I check in in Miami to LA flight, I have the agent 'check' my 2 bags all the way THROUGH to Tacloban. NOT to Manila. I have with me a print out of my schedule and confirmation numbers. So while she sees I am flying into Manila, she also sees I am flying out to Tacloban. She checks the bags to Tacloban. I arrive in Manila, get the bags, clear customs and then hand the bags over to the connnecting flight people there in the same room as the customs people are. I then walk out and kill time until the flight to Tacloban and I then check myself in with my carry on bag. The domestic flight check in does not involve any check bags as they are alreadty checked and in posession of PAL.

So, if you fly direct out of a city on an actual PAl flight.... you may have an issue IF the PAL agent does not check your bags through to Bacolod. Even if you have already booked the Manila flight to Baclod. If the agent treats it as 2 flights, 1 international and 1 domestic... then you may have to pay the fees. But since I am dealing with a different airline on my Miami to LA flight, I present it as 1 trip. So far, 9 trips.... no issues! 

However, this time, PAL is flying out to Tacloban from Terminal 3 and I have no way to 'guarantee' that I can clear customs and catch a bus over to Terminal 3 in time for the next flight. So I will have 8 hrs or so to kill before my flight to Tacloban.     

We did get our luggage checked straight thru from Toronto to Bacolod with PAL using Terminal 2. Not the first 3 times that I asked HIM, but on the 4th time, he did it for us. Our luggage never even went thru Customs in Manila. We went down to the Transit Flights, thru Immigration (not busy, 4 desks and 3 customers), got our bags, gave them to the connecting flights people, then went thru Customs, up one level, checked in with Pal and got our bags in Bacolod.