Philippines Airlines

Bruce
Posted
Posted

OK Candians.. I saw 2 different PAL promos on the PAL website in the past 4 days. MANILA - TORONTO - MANILA for $2300 and a Buy One Take One for about $2200.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You sir! Are a lucky guy. Bacolod still flies in and out of Terminal 2. 5 flights a day.

Yes, I like that. No changing terminals. PAL uses T2 for both international and domestic (to Bacolod and some others)  I do not like taking that FREE shuttle (costs 20p actually) down that congested road jammed in traffic,  moving 10 feet  then stopping. The door is left open to the sidewalk. Someone sees 10 or more tourists with full luggage, pockets full of money, passports, jewelry, cellphones, etc.It would be a very easy robbery and don't think that the driver is going to help you.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

So while she sees I am flying into Manila, she also sees I am flying out to Tacloban. She checks the bags to Tacloban

Very good, Bruce. Thanks. But, what if it is not a "she"? I am more like that other Canadian (Old, ugly & cranky). I do not have that southern charm that you have. It is because of the weather here. Seriously now, I will try to do the same....check our bags all the way thru with PAL A penny saved is a penny earned.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Ok, 15 minutes later I tried again. Cathay Pacific has come back in at $1597.76 Toronto to Cebu return and PAL has remained at the same prices. All prices listed are in Canadian $

My flights are leaving next week and returning in 5 months. PAL's prices are all inclusive but CP is not. The fine print shows taxes of more than $600 with CP. Also, make sure you are using one stop with both. CP is less $$$ if you go around the world twice with long layovers taking total time about 40 hours. Even tho PAL now has one stop, it is only for 1 hour and 20 minutes with total time about 16.5 hours. Likely, stay on the plane.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Very good, Bruce. Thanks. But, what if it is not a "she"?

Ladyboy. Eh? Sorry! You are on your own... I hear my mother calling me... Time for dinner. ... Ask Jake? :hystery:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Changed topic title as topic changed into Canadian rather than anything to do with Australia. Also split topic so johnb topic is separate. http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/15515-cheap-flights-from-australia/

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ok, 15 minutes later I tried again. Cathay Pacific has come back in at $1597.76 Toronto to Cebu return and PAL has remained at the same prices. All prices listed are in Canadian $

My flights are leaving next week and returning in 5 months. PAL's prices are all inclusive but CP is not. The fine print shows taxes of more than $600 with CP. Also, make sure you are using one stop with both. CP is less $$$ if you go around the world twice with long layovers taking total time about 40 hours. Even tho PAL now has one stop, it is only for 1 hour and 20 minutes with total time about 16.5 hours. Likely, stay on the plane.

I'm not trying to argue with what you got but for the rest of the Canadians who will be flying, I want to make sure that the facts are correct...  Both Cathay Pacific and PAL show prices all taxes in.  They warn you that you may have to pay a charge for excess or overweight baggage.   PAL's flight times were 19 hours + or 20 hours + (depending on the flight selected) to fly to and 17 hours and change on the return trip.  This is the approximately the same as a CP flight Toronto to Manila - CP takes a touch longer and no more than an hour difference.  CP Toronto to Cebu shows 22 hours + and 19 hours + return but there is a longer layover.  To be honest, I would enjoy the longer layover of a couple hours - just to grab a meal and a drink along with a nice stretch and maybe even a walk after sitting for 3/4 of a day.  The 40 hours you spoke of earlier?  Sure, you can take a flight to your layover point the day before and then fly again on the same flight you would have been on if you had booked your flight for 1 day later.  Both airlines do that.  Just a little extra for those who are on the verge of overstaying their Visa to the Philippines.  You pick the day you want to leave - if there is no continuous flight to Canada, you get a long wait to meet the flight coming the next day which is going to Canada.  And on some flight scheduled, the price may be higher on Cathay Pacific as the total distance flown is longer.  Sometimes to Cebu they are cheaper.  And this is great for those going to Cebu as they don't have to change planes in Manila.  If you need to go to Manila, not so good as the flight I priced doesn't stop there.  Other Cebu Pacific flights do.  To go to Cebu on a PAL flight, you need to change flights in Manila - adding on another stop.  So both are good for some and not so good for others.  It all comes down to the fact that we have at least 2 comparable choices.  And that is without even looking at the other airlines that do this flight - they may offer even better prices on their specials.

• 4 weeks later...
dalidali
Posted
Posted

Add routes and cut some.....

PAL air used to fly out of Las Vegas, direct to Manila........but no more it seems.

Las Vegas is home to many many Filipinos.......but apparently not enough to keep that flight.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

Add routes and cut some.....

PAL air used to fly out of Las Vegas, direct to Manila........but no more it seems.

Las Vegas is home to many many Filipinos.......but apparently not enough to keep that flight.

My guess is that after the financial crisis and the ongoing mortgage crisis / home value implosion,  many  Vegas Pinoys simply cant afford to travel as they used to. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Philippine Airlines is still under a watchlist for previous safety violations. One consequence is limited US destinations. My flight to Manila departs Honolulu past midnight. Maybe the authorities feel that's a good time slot for them before there are no other aircrafts landing or taking off at that hour. My preference is flying Hawaiian Airlines to Manila, but they are charging $250 more for my travel dates.

Philippine Airlines is still not permitted to fly to EU destinations.

• Like 1