Aircon Question

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the info Bruce.  I just rent, otherwise I would buy a new split unit inverter type and have  a wall unit in the bedroom and the living room.  The roof is red and I'm sure there is not much insulation between the ceiling and the roof.  I'm not putting any money in to this place so the thru the wall A/C unit is the easiest thing for me to do since the whole is there and also a 220V plug.  I guess I will go for large BTU unit and see how that works cooling down my bedroom and the living room with the split unit off.  While $$$ is always a concern, it comes second behind comfort. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If the ceiling is high enough, a ceiling fan or two will do wonders along with the single ac unit.  And then you can change back to a standard light and take the ceiling fans with you when you move.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If the ceiling is high enough, a ceiling fan or two will do wonders along with the single ac unit.  And then you can change back to a standard light and take the ceiling fans with you when you move.

That's pretty good advice, I had them in Fl and they worked wonders. But in the current house I'm renting all the ceiling lights are "recessed" several inches into the ceiling. Getting a ceiling fan to fit would be very difficult, maybe impossible. Unless you build the house yourself, you run into some very strange things here. 

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Bob Bob Bob..... You are in Canada.... he ain't. Ceiling fans are a bad idea in this case. Already said that his ceilings are 10' high. We humans, well most of us, are below the 6.5 foot mark. So cooling higher than that just raises the electric bill. A ceiling fan will take HOT air for the 9-10 ' area nand mix it with the cooler air below as well as cause a constant draft against the ceiling, picling up even more heat.  

A simple stand mount or desk mount style fan is better choice.

Also.... just to get another dig into those over educated desk jockeys who design buildings..... Ever been in a newer restaurant or market (in the US / Canada) that has a 16' to 20' commercial ceiling, all open and with round metal ducts from the AC unit and a HIGH mounted return duct?

Well the owner of that establishment is paying to cool and or heat in the winter, all those cubic feet of air 'up there'. If the duct work is designed properly, they should be at the 8' mark and no higher as we humans do not really care if it is cool above our heards or not. Cold falls and heat rises..... a 30'x40'x8' = 9600 cubic feet of space to cool. Same space but with a 16' ceiling..... 1920 cubic feet to cool or heat..... If the owner only knew BEFORE he approved the design....... over the life of the equipment, he is baying an much higher electric bill every month...

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

Here are 3 units that fit in thru the hole in the wall:

Samsung  AW12L1C        1.5HP       11EER         12800BTU   19,200 PESOS

LG  LA150RB                   1.5HP   11.3 EER        13,200BTU  18,900 PESOS

Carrier WCARG014EEB   1.5HP   10.1 EER       12,600BTU   25,500 PESOS

Any suggestions???

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

Any suggestions???

The LG is the best BTU for the size of hole. That is what I would use. You pay extra for the Carrier name.

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

Any suggestions???

The LG is the best BTU for the size of hole. That is what I would use. You pay extra for the Carrier name.

Glad we agree!!!

Thanks for all the help.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bob Bob Bob..... You are in Canada.... he ain't. Ceiling fans are a bad idea in this case. Already said that his ceilings are 10' high. We humans, well most of us, are below the 6.5 foot mark. So cooling higher than that just raises the electric bill. A ceiling fan will take HOT air for the 9-10 ' area nand mix it with the cooler air below as well as cause a constant draft against the ceiling, picling up even more heat.  

A simple stand mount or desk mount style fan is better choice.

Also.... just to get another dig into those over educated desk jockeys who design buildings..... Ever been in a newer restaurant or market (in the US / Canada) that has a 16' to 20' commercial ceiling, all open and with round metal ducts from the AC unit and a HIGH mounted return duct?

Well the owner of that establishment is paying to cool and or heat in the winter, all those cubic feet of air 'up there'. If the duct work is designed properly, they should be at the 8' mark and no higher as we humans do not really care if it is cool above our heards or not. Cold falls and heat rises..... a 30'x40'x8' = 9600 cubic feet of space to cool. Same space but with a 16' ceiling..... 1920 cubic feet to cool or heat..... If the owner only knew BEFORE he approved the design....... over the life of the equipment, he is baying an much higher electric bill every month...

Bruce...  Bruce...  Bruce...  You missed the boat on this one!  

A fan gently circulating the conditioned air up will indeed cool off the upper warmer air.  Once it has reached a consistent temperature, cooling the air further is easily achieved.  Thus the same effect of having 2 air conditioners is achieved through the use of only 1 - and a cost savings overall!  And is that not much better than having the warmer air sitting there and heating up the adjoining cooler air.  One is going to win out over the other so why not let the cooler air win?  I could go and get all the facts and figures on this for you but I will just let my own and others experiences play out on this - along with my brother (an engineer with Honeywell who has been working in this field for over 30 years as well) who swears by ceiling fans augmented by an AC unit in the higher heat times.  Yes, in the summer here, the heat and humidity get quite high.  Over a 3 week period last summer (July), my Special Someone and I compared Humidex Temperatures between Hamilton and Cebu and we were always within 1 degree for the high temp of each other that entire time.  

In this case I was referring to having the air conditioner in one room, the bedroom door open and a ceiling fan to keep the air moving so as to avoid any hot pockets at all.  It would be really great if there was transoms over the doors to induce even more flow between rooms but unfortunately... 

:thumbsup:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

:hystery: Bob.... you humans crack me up. Throw a little breeze on you and you think you are cool...... :thumbsup: (In Canada!)

Heat load is heat load and it costs MONEY to remove that heat load. If and I do mean 'if' it was as easy as adding a few ceiling fans, builders across the country would jump at the chance to install under sized ac units and a few cheap Chinese ceiling fans. Over the size of a several hundred home development, there would be a lot of money saved by the builder. But... there is those damn building and zoning people standing in the way of the builder using a 2 ton ac and ceiling fans when the heat load call for 4 tons. (Florida)

Humans are easily tricked. But math is math and you can not change the laws of physics. The higher the ceiling... the greater the cubic foot content and the greater the mass of air and the greater the heat load that needs to be removed.  

But, and this is an importing thing.... your heat load in Canada is different than in Virginia and that is different than in Florida..... In Canada you may very well be able to obtain peoper cooling with a 2 ton unit when the same house in Florida calls for a 4 ton.

Same for the UK...... I live and work in Florida which is similar but maybe 2-5 degreed (f) below the Philipines. So I am always preset for thinking HOT most of the year.

Hey! ..... Not to get off topic too far... but I briefly thought of you the other day when the news came out that 2 convicts excaped a Canadian prison via a helicopter.... I am thinking you can fly such a thing, eh?  

This would not have happend in the US as we shoot them down from the guard towers..... :dance:

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

If you need someone to break a friend out of jail that would be me.  I can fly a jetranger, longranger, astar, twinstar, Hughes 500, Sikorsy and an R22.