Aircon Question

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Bruce I'm sure you know there is an acid based and an alkaline based coil cleaner ..... in the hospitals we weren't allowed to use the acid for a number of reasons ..... but the alkaline worked great .... years ago the sailesman that sold it to me convinced me by actually cleaning a unit we had already cleaned and then she took some and put it behind her ear to show it wouldn't eat the aluminum fins ..... I was impressed ..... (but I was more impressed when she bent over in her short dress and cleaned the coils) .......  :mocking: :mocking: :mocking: :cheersty:

Although available, in 30+ years I have never used acid. Alkaline is slower in reaction time but it can do damage if mixed too strong.

The issues is cooking and smoking. If you smoke or cook / fry a lot, your coil develops a tannish color or darker of oil byproducts on the surface which is harder to clean. You can have 15 cats and a blocked coil, but it is easier to clean then the smokers coil.

A real issue is the history of the unit. Can the current owner / resident say with certainty how many times the coil was cleaned and if chemicals were used. If not, you can be cleaning a coil that has been chemically cleaned several times in the past and while yes you are cleaning it, you are also doing further damage with chemicals.

A sure sign of this is a call that the unit is not cooling well and you go to check it and find a low pressure reading on the gas return.... the moron then tries to add and add and add gas to get the pressure up to what he wants it to be but it refuses to get there. The reason is poor heat exchange from either blocked filter  / dirty coil / dying fan motor... OR a coil that has been over cleaned and is very nice to look at, but is not unable to absorb the required amount of heat to have the freon pressues at acceptable levels. It is hard to get the homeowner to realize he needs to replace his shiny clean coil... also have run into a few who almost demand an 'acid cleaning' because that is what they have always done before.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

(but I was more impressed when she bent over in her short dress and cleaned the coils) ..

Don't even think of replying Jake, I'm watching you  :mocking:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

(but I was more impressed when she bent over in her short dress and cleaned the coils) ..

Don't even think of replying Jake, I'm watching you  :mocking:

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:  ..... yea some of these chemical and nut & bolt outfits really know how to target business that employ male purchasing personal ..... it is amazing how many beautiful .. young salesladies they can find ..... one thing I would never do is buy from a salesman or lady that didn't know their product or how it was to be used ..... sent many away almost in tears and then would call their company and tell them not to bother me again until they had someone who could talk intelligently about their merchandise .... I just didn't have time to waste ..... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 1