Aircon Question

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

If you need someone to break a friend out of jail that would be me.  I can fly a jetranger, longranger, astar, twinstar, Hughes 500, Sikorsy and an R22.

Here we take a slight turn away from the topic... but I looked at the R22 when they were under 100k..... I think the Broward Sheriff Office has one. I have an aquaintence (female) who is a military chopper pilot in Iraq and related areas, now for the forrest service somewhere.

Back on topic! I bet if Bob were to install that R22 in a house, it may provide enough air movement to cool the place a little.....

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

If you need someone to break a friend out of jail that would be me.  I can fly a jetranger, longranger, astar, twinstar, Hughes 500, Sikorsy and an R22.

Here we take a slight turn away from the topic... but I looked at the R22 when they were under 100k..... I think the Broward Sheriff Office has one. I have an aquaintence (female) who is a military chopper pilot in Iraq and related areas, now for the forrest service somewhere.

Back on topic! I bet if Bob were to install that R22 in a house, it may provide enough air movement to cool the place a little.....

Yeah, right before the roof collapses :)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

:hystery: Bob.... you humans crack me up. Throw a little breeze on you and you think you are cool...... :thumbsup: (In Canada!)

Heat load is heat load and it costs MONEY to remove that heat load. If and I do mean 'if' it was as easy as adding a few ceiling fans, builders across the country would jump at the chance to install under sized ac units and a few cheap Chinese ceiling fans. Over the size of a several hundred home development, there would be a lot of money saved by the builder. But... there is those damn building and zoning people standing in the way of the builder using a 2 ton ac and ceiling fans when the heat load call for 4 tons. (Florida)

Humans are easily tricked. But math is math and you can not change the laws of physics. The higher the ceiling... the greater the cubic foot content and the greater the mass of air and the greater the heat load that needs to be removed.  

But, and this is an importing thing.... your heat load in Canada is different than in Virginia and that is different than in Florida..... In Canada you may very well be able to obtain peoper cooling with a 2 ton unit when the same house in Florida calls for a 4 ton.

Same for the UK...... I live and work in Florida which is similar but maybe 2-5 degreed (f) below the Philipines. So I am always preset for thinking HOT most of the year.

Hey! ..... Not to get off topic too far... but I briefly thought of you the other day when the news came out that 2 convicts excaped a Canadian prison via a helicopter.... I am thinking you can fly such a thing, eh?  

This would not have happend in the US as we shoot them down from the guard towers..... :dance:

Bruce, you done gone and did it again...  Actually in Canada we require the higher numbers than are required in Florida. There are truly a lot of factors to take into consideration when designing the proper Air Conditioning of a house...   Or you can do like I saw in Florida - use the chart for Whole Home Cooling (as in what size Central Air unit required per sq ft house) or the Room Size (sq ft)/BTU chart for window units.  Been there, saw that (8 shops out of 10 in Fort Lauderdale, 4 out of 6  in St Pete's and gave up in Orlando) and laughed my *** off until I came back to Canada (Summer of 1998).  Now you don't just use the chart, do you?

:mocking:

Naw, I wouldn't fly somebody out of prison...  Maybe drop somebody from a helo and into prison!  Don't like bad guys!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

NIce!  Never had a chance to get any seat time in the AStar or TwinStar.  I have had seat time in the LongRanger, Huey (isn't that the same thing...  hehe), Hughs 500, Sikorsky SeaKing, SeaStallion and the R22.  It was so much fun being in the Air Force!  I always wanted to try and get some seat time in the Wasp the Brits used to use but never got the chance...

R22 - wasn't that the one that got decertified for a bit and then called the Mosquito Bomb because that was what caused the problems with the main rotor blades?

:mocking:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Or you can do like I saw in Florida - use the chart for Whole Home Cooling (as in what size Central Air unit required per sq ft house) or the Room Size (sq ft)/BTU chart for window units. Been there, saw that (8 shops out of 10 in Fort Lauderdale, 4 out of 6 in St Pete's and gave up in Orlando) and laughed my *** off until I came back to Canada (Summer of 1998). Now you don't just use the chart, do you?

Well, no written chart for me. Simple mental flow schematic..... house or condo, if condo what floor (top or below) units on each side?... 1200 sqft or less depending on exterior color, roof color and insulation get s a 2 -2.5 ton unit. 1500 sg ft 3 ton up to the 2,000 sqft gets a 5 ton is a good general rule of thumb.

But in addition to the head load you need to look at the layout to see if it is 1 or 2 story and how the bed rooms are layed out. Even if under 2,000 sq ft, depending on the layout and duct work capacities, we often use 2 units because on paper one may handle the heat load, but in air distribution... not gonna work well.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Do you ever consider having to vent the attic or that a thing of the past now in Florida?  I can remember the old wood frame houses with no insulation and the ground water constantly bubbling up.  It wasn't much fun rebuilding these places unless we had the pools put in first - so we could dive in when we just got toooo hot!  Funniest thing I ever saw -when you dug out for the pool, you had to keep pumping the water out...  Talk about ground level water table!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Yes very odd to find an 'attic', actually more like a crawl space, that is not vented. The South Florida building code is 2nd to the strongest behind California and their earthquake issues.  

If some as**** mechanical or structual engineer can think it up, good chance it will be added to the next code revision....

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I know NOTHING about dimensions of Aircons  :)

but I know some OTHER perhaps useful small parts.

Of course less options in an appartment, but there are some there too  (Reduce heat coming in e g by cover the sun at windows.)

But when building own house, then there are more to do by

issolation,

let warm air go UP to the "attic"

and make the hot air GET OUT from under the roof.

A kano in Thailand has managed to build sp he almost never need to use his aircon, just assist the mensioned warm/hot air moves UP and OUT by some fans.

--

>Bruce   At least as long as the air temperature is lower than the body heat at skin, then fans realy reduce the heating of body, because the body get some assistans if move away the a bit warmer air, which stay closest to the body, if the air isn't moved by wind, fan or moving yourself e g by motorbike.  

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know NOTHING about dimensions of Aircons   :)

but I know some OTHER perhaps useful small parts.

Of course less options in an appartment, but there are some there too  (Reduce heat coming in e g by cover the sun at windows.)

But when building own house, then there are more to do by

issolation,

let warm air go UP to the "attic"

and make the hot air GET OUT from under the roof.

A kano in Thailand has managed to build sp he almost never need to use his aircon, just assist the mensioned warm/hot air moves UP and OUT by some fans.

--

>Bruce   At least as long as the air temperature is lower than the body heat at skin, then fans realy reduce the heating of body, because the body get some assistans if move away the a bit warmer air, which stay closest to the body, if the air isn't moved by wind, fan or moving yourself e g by motorbike.  

Well it is more complicated than that as it relates to humidity. The higher the humidity the more uncomfortable humans are. In Las Vegas where the temps are regularly over 100F but the humidy is 20% or less, the heat is not so bad and you do not get your clothes wet as the sweat is evaporated as soon as it leaves the pores. But in Florida, where the temps are 87 - 93f on a regular basis, the humidy is 40+++% and people complain about the heat all the time.

In the US, the population is conditioned to expect temp in a house or building to be 72-75F. Greater than that and the humidy rises and then people are uncomfortable..... Bob did tell you about the relation of humidity to temp to human comfort... didn't he?  

As a side note..... little experiment on human comfort I am running out here on Samar with my shower and hot water heater. Lots of the kids in the family have lice.... I have the treatment! So I let them and their mothers use the shampoo and the hot shower as when they want. I am not telling them this... but I want to hear about the reactions of them after I am gone and they have to revert back to a bucket of well water and a ladle.....

Is it cruel of me to get them addicted to a hot shower???? :hystery: Only to deny them access when I leave? :th_unfair:

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well it is more complicated than that as it relates to humidity. The higher the humidity the more uncomfortable humans are. In Las Vegas where the temps are regularly over 100F but the humidy is 20% or less, the heat is not so bad and you do not get your clothes wet as the sweat is evporated as soon as it leaves the pores. But in FLorida, wher the temps are 87 - 93f on a regular basis, the humidy is 40+++% and people complain about the heat all the time.

In the US, the population is conditioned to expect temp in a house or building to be 72-75F. Greater than that and the humidy rises and then people are uncomfortable..... Bob did tell you about the relation of humidity to temp to human comfort... didn't he?  

Yes, I know*, but I suppose what I wrote make difference in ANY case  :)

(*When I tested many years ago I could stand dry heat "for ever" =I could sit in a 100 C DRY sauna with no big problem until I got bored of it,

but WET 60 C sauna was much harder, although it was much less C.)