Aircon Question

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Yes, I know*, but I suppose what I wrote make difference in ANY case

Well, what you and other propose or do is called a 'compromise'. Rather than simply accepting that the Phils has the highest electricity rates in the world and just pay the bill......  

All else is simply a (some good some not so good) tactic to avoid using the Air Con.

But humidy must be lowered for comfort and heat load must be removed.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, I know*, but I suppose what I wrote make difference in ANY case

Well, what you and other propose or do is called a 'compromise'. Rather than simply accepting that the Phils has the highest electricity rates in the world and just pay the bill......  

All else is simply a (some good some not so good) tactic to avoid using the Air Con.

But humidy must be lowered for comfort and heat load must be removed.

Then I believe you didn't read proper what I wrote, because I wrote about how can REDUCE the need of aircon   :)

(There are separate dehumidifiers too, if needed.)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Do not try to recreate the wheel. I already addressed the building aspects to reduce the heat load before it gets into the building. if you are willing to pay for a dehumidifier(s), and also buy them, then ask yourself WHY! Just turn on the AC to a level that is comfortable for you and accept that you will get a bill for the electric. Or... a bigger bill for the AC and those dehumidifiers....

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Do not try to recreate the wheel. I already addressed the building aspects to reduce the heat load before it gets into the building. if you are willing to pay for a dehumidifier(s), and also buy them, then ask yourself WHY! Just turn on the AC to a level that is comfortable for you and accept that you will get a bill for the electric. Or... a bigger bill for the AC and those dehumidifiers....

Sorry. I had missed you had written two lines about keeping heat out, before I wrote some about it  :)

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Agreed.  I put the LG in the wall and plugged it in 3 nights ago. :dance: :dance: :dance:

The bedroom is ice cold now when I sleep.  I have a digital meter outside and when I turn on the split unit in the living room it reads 1.9Kw. If I turn it off and turn on the LG it reads 1.1Kw.  So it is using less electricity and keeping me cooler.  If I leave the bedroom door open during the day it will remove the humidity in the living room and cool it down in there but not as cool as the bedroom.  All in all a good deal and hopefully a smaller electric bill but my number one goal was comfort, not lowering the bill.  The Philippines is not the place for someone like me who needs it very cold 24/7 if you can't afford the cost.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

my number one goal was comfort, not lowering the bill.  The Philippines is not the place for someone like me who needs it very cold 24/7

Be very careful what you say!  Bruce is going to get you into a Reefer Container next...!

:mocking:                       Oh I just couldn't resist!  

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Hey Bruce...or anyone else,

I have a digital meter from the power company at my house here.  When I turn on the LG aircon it goes to about 1.41 Kwh on low fan.  When I put it on hi fan it DROPS down to 1.38Kwh.   HUH What Really??????  Is the aircon using LESS electricity on high fan?  Is it more efficient or is the meter lying to me?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Hey Bruce...or anyone else,

I have a digital meter from the power company at my house here.  When I turn on the LG aircon it goes to about 1.41 Kwh on low fan.  When I put it on hi fan it DROPS down to 1.38Kwh.   HUH What Really??????  Is the aircon using LESS electricity on high fan?  Is it more efficient or is the meter lying to me?

Ah grasshoper... there is an answer to what you seek...... But before I saying anything wrong..... I will let BOB take this one and explain the nuances of RLA as opposed to FLA and work loads and how this effects the amp draw / kilowatt useage.... 

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I've had my 1HP Carrier going on 2 years. For the past couple months it's been shutting down with an F something status. I figured out it was happening because the front coils were icing because they were clogged with dirt and debris. Today I took it outside and sprayed and cleaned it with a hose and brush. There was a lot of grey-brown slime and sludge on the inside bottom, pretty gross when you consider you're breathing the output. It runs MUCH better now, like new really. The compressor actually starts and stops as needed, before it was running all the time and still not keeping up. Some of the components looked like they were burned, probably because it was overheating due to dirt buildup.   

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I've had my 1HP Carrier going on 2 years. For the past couple months it's been shutting down with an F something status. I figured out it was happening because the front coils were icing because they were clogged with dirt and debris. Today I took it outside and sprayed and cleaned it with a hose and brush. There was a lot of grey-brown slime and sludge on the inside bottom, pretty gross when you consider you're breathing the output. It runs MUCH better now, like new really. The compressor actually starts and stops as needed, before it was running all the time and still not keeping up. Some of the components looked like they were burned, probably because it was overheating due to dirt buildup.   

My AC unit from CSI came with free annual coil cleaning where they send someone out to clean it for you.

It also has a filter on the intake and can detect when the filter needs cleaning then turn on a warning light on the console.

• Like 1