New Policy In Australian Store / Think Sm And Ayala To Follow?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Business

Store’s New Policy Will Charge Customers $5 Fee for Doing Something Practically Everyone Has Done at Some Point

Mar. 25, 2013 8:00pm Jason Howerton

Imagine walking into a store, not to purchase anything, but to browse for future purchases or to just pass the time. Then imagine being in said store and being told that you owe a $5 “just looking” fee.

That’s exactly what Celiac Supplies, a gluten free grocery store in Brisbane, Australia, intends to do to combat shoppers who browse but don’t buy.

“As of the first of February, this store will be charging people a $5 fee for ‘just looking,’” the sign reads. “The $5 fee will be deducted when goods are purchased.”

“This policy is in line with many other clothing, shoe and electronic stores who are also facing the same issue,” the sign concludes.

The issue that the Australian gluten free grocery store is facing is not one that hasn’t touched American business as well. It’s just that, instead of passing the burden onto consumers, stores like Best Buy and Target adapted to stay competitive in the marketplace.

“Target and Best Buy were likewise stung by shoppers who came in, tried out their products and then went home to buy on Amazon,” Daily Finance points out. “But instead of banning phones or trying to charge an entrance fee, they instead extended their price-matching policy to Amazon and other online retailers.”

Off theblaze.com

Savsko
Posted
Posted

Maybe we'll be charged for using the air in the store soon. When I was in Taipei in went into a book store in the small hours of a winter's morning - 4am or there a bouts - and was surprised to see that some of the less fortunate "homeless" souls were dozing off with a book in their laps. There were quite a few other shoppers about and the staff passed by every so often. The sleeping homeless were left alone and it has been something that has stuck in my mind. I had only entered out of surprise and curiosity at seeing the place was open at that time. I got to wondering how many stores and in what countries such generosity would be found in a retail store. NOT in AUSTRALIA it seems.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

NOT in AUSTRALIA it seems.

Well I live in Australia and Brisbane as a matter of fact and its the first I have heard or seen anything about it. Just a few weeks ago my brother who owns a store in Victoria was telling me as a joke he might charge shoppers as what they do is come in to try on boots and things just to make sure they fit, then go to Ebay or some where online to buy cheap. It is time consuming and as you could imagine not good to have many products tried on over and over again so maybe there are reasons and if one was a retailer maybe they would understand. Not to mention the cost of stolen goods continually from stores. 

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe we'll be charged for using the air in the store soon. When I was in Taipei in went into a book store in the small hours of a winter's morning - 4am or there a bouts - and was surprised to see that some of the less fortunate "homeless" souls were dozing off with a book in their laps. There were quite a few other shoppers about and the staff passed by every so often. The sleeping homeless were left alone and it has been something that has stuck in my mind. I had only entered out of surprise and curiosity at seeing the place was open at that time. I got to wondering how many stores and in what countries such generosity would be found in a retail store. NOT in AUSTRALIA it seems.

Well, on that topic of being tolerant to the poor / homeless..... Jollibee here in Catbalogan has a security guard who scares off the beggars and the homeless. This brings me back to my first trip here when I took some homeless kids into Jollibee to eat and it was a struggle to get them in the door as they were used to running from the guard. Once inside it was like watching a kid at Disney for the 1st time. Shocking to me as a Kano. 

But across the street, is a Mercury Drug Store who allows the homeless and beggars free access to their parking lot and side walk. Also every day see small vendors of say brooms there selling without any issues from the management.

So, I try to do my pharmacy related business with them.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have been working in retail mostly in the last few years and I have one thing to say about charging for people to go into a store...

When is your "Going Out of Business" Sale?

:unsure:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

These policies are in response to internet sales. I have no data but would suspect that retail sales via the internet are a small fraction of total sales in the Philippines as compared to first world western countries.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

For years the local automotive self service wrecking yards charged 1 dollar entrance fee. Since Pick-N-Pull has bought up all the smaller yards they now charge 2 dollars. The 2 dollars is not refundable nor is it applied to any purchases. It also does not count towards going into the other yards owned by the same company. I always ask what the show is and if it is any good since they charge admission.  :lol:

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I guess you have to give her credit for getting free publicity but besides that the owner is lazy and obviously has no training in basic business management.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Pick-N-Pull

Glad to know that FlyAway ..... I always thought that is what Kuya Jake did on Saturday night ....... :dance: :hystery: :hystery:

But seriously I'm glad they do have security at the doors to keep out all the beggars ..... now if they could just do that to the flocks of students that go to the eateries and set there chatting and using their iPads and not purchasing anything .... maybe an admission charge refundable with a  purchase ...... that's why we always try and eat early when we go to the malls ..... :cheersty: