New Policy In Australian Store / Think Sm And Ayala To Follow?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Ah Ha ...... now I see ...... right church wrong pew (or is that phew .... :mocking: ) not uncommon for me ..... but I think Tom has a lot on his plate and to start publishing an e-book might tip it over ...... but it is a good idea for someone who is retired and has plenty of time on his hands ........ but for a working stiff  that could end up VERY time consuming ........ then you have to keep up with all the updates especially if it is about the Philippines with governmental changes almost monthly ..... and things like costs ... daily .... IMHO ....... :cheersty:

Yes..... but again, the status quo remains.... unchanged. No effort to do anything means nothing gets done. Nothing gets done means no additional income......

Have you ever heard about the University of Phoenix? It is heavily advertized in the US as an online university. Offers a vast number of degrees and is far more expensive than an online university should be. Well, their business model has dumbed down the learning so far it is close to being a farce. One of their concepts is some sort of 'group written' papers. So in a normal setting you would write your own paper and get a grade. but not at Phoenix! No Sir!.... the entire on line class writes the paper with each student having a portion to research and then write about.

So it is very hard to fail... which is the point of a 'feel good' university in getting the dumbed down masses a 'degree'.....  

But the point here is that with an E book to write about the dating aspects to the moving aspects to the financial aspects et al of the Philippines, well there are a few members who may be interested in writing up 1 portion or another, gratis, for inclusion into Sir Thomas Reid's Guide To Safely Navigating The Treachous Pitfalls In Your Quest Move To The Philippines (and) Roo Recipes .... With a Forward written by Jake the Snake Charmer and Guide to Philippine Night Life!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sort of funny people talking about what I should do with the forum to make money but the fact is it's not easy to do and its not really what a forum should be about. Suggestions like put all the best posts together are not easy as what is maybe good or correct in one part of the country or what worked well for Mr X may not work out at all for Mr Y.

There are others that write Ebooks which I think are almost rubbish value but the writers rip people off as its hard to know until you already paid for it. One goose blog owner set up a forum about a year ago and thought it was going to be the biggest and best, he actually got about 8 investors including his Buddy and was meant to pay them a dividend every so often but what happened is the same 3 members and about the only members left now do all the posting and most topics are not ever answered so its a big fail and a bit of a laugh for me as the forum owner tried to make me look very bad with a bullshit blog post saying I put in some sort of DOS attack on his server. Yeah right. His brain has gone a bit Rusty of the years.

Some have spent years telling members they donate every bit the forum takes in after costs but never has there been any proof of that at all and it was let slip by the same person to me in a bar one night he lived on the forum donations and members subscriptions so I guess there are a lot of gullible people out there.

But anyway my point is that unless you are a sex site then almost nobody wants to pay to look and read.   :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Some have spent years telling members they donate every bit the forum takes in after costs but never has there been any proof of that at all and it was let slip by the same person to me in a bar one night he lived on the forum donations and members subscriptions so I guess there are a lot of gullible people out there.

I am missing something here. The forum is not a charity! So I have no issues with you or any forum owner making a business out of it and living off the funds after paying the bills. Really! If you collect XXXX and the bills come to XX, then by all means keep the remaining funds. Are you suposed to donate your time? Where is all this written that a forum owner can't make a living off his forum? :th_unfair:   

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Some have spent years telling members they donate every bit the forum takes in after costs but never has there been any proof of that at all and it was let slip by the same person to me in a bar one night he lived on the forum donations and members subscriptions so I guess there are a lot of gullible people out there.

I am missing something here. The forum is not a charity! So I have no issues with you or any forum owner making a business out of it and living off the funds after paying the bills. Really! If you collect XXXX and the bills come to XX, then by all means keep the remaining funds. Are you suposed to donate your time? Where is all this written that a forum owner can't make a living off his forum? :th_unfair:   

On that point Bruce, if one leads others to think that all donated money is for charity but is not then that is deceiving. It would be the same as a certain  x store owner you know of taking donations of goods to sell on false pretences claiming the profit is used for a certain cause.

There is nothing to say one is not allowed to keep any profit,(if any) from a forum or blog but why lie about it.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

On that point Bruce, if one leads others to think that all donated money is for charity but is not then that is deceiving. It would be the same as a certain  x store owner you know of taking donations of goods to sell on false pretences claiming the profit is used for a certain cause.

There is nothing to say one is not allowed to keep any profit,(if any) from a forum or blog but why lie about it.

I suppose there is some confusion as to the use of the word 'donations' for the forums. I as an individual see no issues with the forum owner makinging a profit. Lying about the use of the funds is a different story. But a registered charity lying about the use of the donations I think is crossing over into the criminal charges territory.  

I have for the past two weeks been trying to shut down a fake charity that was being operated by a former employee of a legitimate charity in my area. Just today I got her web site shut down. Type in the address and google says page missing! But in looking at what she was doing and the level of thought and effort that went into the building of a fake charity presence from the web and illegal corporation to facebook postings as well as the use of other legitimate charities names to provide a false sense of legitimacy not to mention the outright lying about IRS appproval, this was no mistake or good intentions gone wrong. it was outright criminal solicitation of funds under false qualifications and purpose. .....

Nothing like a forum owner who does not lie about his intentions and his use of the word 'donations' without and false charity claims..... Two different things altogether.....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I am making this post to avoid the $5.00 lurking fee that JGF is thinking about imposing!   :hystery:

Can I retract this joke that seems to have headed this thread down the path of complete offtopicness about JGF charging for the forum?   :hystery:  :444: 

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

His brain has gone a bit Rusty of the years.

Hummmmm .... I wonder just how long it will take that comment to get back ..... 30 sec. ................. :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Very well said ..... someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel or build a better mouse trap .....  :cheersty:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

His brain has gone a bit Rusty of the years.

Hummmmm .... I wonder just how long it will take that comment to get back ..... 30 sec. ................. :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Very well said ..... someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel or build a better mouse trap .....  :cheersty:

I have no idea what you're talking about Mike  :)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Can I retract this joke that seems to have headed this thread down the path of complete offtopicness about JGF charging for the forum?      

Warning. You can not reply to this post without making a payment. Rice or dried fish is acceptable.Please contact an admin for further instructions.
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Very well said ..... someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel or build a better mouse trap ..... 

Ahh, I have it. Reinvent both at the same time. A mouse trap with wheels!!! I just may be the next millionaire!

• Like 1