Dental Tourism, How Much?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I have a couple broken teeth from past misadventures but they are in the back and do not bother me.  I have insurance I can get them repaired here in Canada but I priced out what it would cost me to get them done in the Philippines without insurance...  Would you believe it's cheaper for me to wait until I get to the Philippines?  And I have one of the better dental insurance packages around!  What a waste of money!

With your insurance, I will say to get your teeth fixed here in Canada. I have not been to the dentist in PI, but I have been to 2 doctors in Bacolod. Their equipment is from the 1960s and the offices are not clean. My lady is here in Canada now and has been to my dentist. She was amazed at the difference just for cleaning/polishing. Same as for the optometrist. It is a different world in PI. You get what you pay for there.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
It is a different world in PI. You get what you pay for there.

The answer is, "Yes & No." For the general population, the equipment maybe old. Possibly, they are the older equipment from dental offices in industrial countries that are upgrading. The Metro Dental clinic at Greenbelt V that I visited had top of the line new equipment. purchased from Korea. Their clientele are wealthier families and corporations who offer dental plans for their senior executives.

The selling point for Philippine dental tourism is price. Metro Dental was more expensive compared to other dental practices elsewhere, but it was a bargain compared to United States pricing.

My wife just got a new crown in Honolulu at a cost of nearly $1,500 plus $100 for teeth cleaning. The dental practice recommends a bridge, which will cost as estimated $3,900. They also recommend replacing three other crowns. By the time they are finished, the total would be $10,000. I am gentlly suggesting we fly to the Philippines; stay at the Manila Peninsula or Shangri-La Makati; and get all the dental work done. Since my teeth are worse than hers, the Honolulu dentist would probably cost another $10,000 for mine.

The estimate for two business class round trip tickets; dental services; accommodations at a fancy hotel; and meals is $9,000. Since I am the thrifty type (El Cheapo), I will probably purchase economy class tickets; stay at a tourist class hotel and have rice porridge (soft meals). The cost would then drop to below $5,000 for the two of us. For additional savings, close friends have been offering for us to stay at their home in Alabang. The previous dentists we were using is also located in Alabang. Both husband and wife are graduates of the UC Berkely campus and licensed in the state of California. That would drop our total expenses to less than $4,000.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

do they have gas in the philippines and is the freezing up to par

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I don't know about Bacolod but there are dental offices in Cebu that have about the same level of technology, skill, and cleanliness as most 1st world dental clinics in the west. I'm going to one today - Dentaland in Ayala. I wanted to try Metro Dental in SM but no appts today. I don't think "dental tourism" will work here. Too far, too expensive, too many problems.

• Like 3

SNIXX
Posted
Posted

I don't know about Bacolod but there are dental offices in Cebu that have about the same level of technology, skill, and cleanliness as most 1st world dental clinics in the west. I'm going to one today - Dentaland in Ayala. I wanted to try Metro Dental in SM but no appts today. I don't think "dental tourism" will work here. Too far, too expensive, too many problems.

Coming for dental work only may be a bit crazy but it is at least one positive element to an already planned trip. We all know their are enough negative aspects to this troubled country so it is nice to find some positives besides just the woman. Maybe it's all psychological, but I know I can minus an easy -500 from the cost of the trip based on the dental savings and it feels good.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have a couple broken teeth from past misadventures but they are in the back and do not bother me.  I have insurance I can get them repaired here in Canada but I priced out what it would cost me to get them done in the Philippines without insurance...  Would you believe it's cheaper for me to wait until I get to the Philippines?  And I have one of the better dental insurance packages around!  What a waste of money!

With your insurance, I will say to get your teeth fixed here in Canada. I have not been to the dentist in PI, but I have been to 2 doctors in Bacolod. Their equipment is from the 1960s and the offices are not clean. My lady is here in Canada now and has been to my dentist. She was amazed at the difference just for cleaning/polishing. Same as for the optometrist. It is a different world in PI. You get what you pay for there.

I don't know...  Paying an extra $9200 out of pocket over what it would cost me in the Philippines is a little much.  If I did everything the dentist wanted to do, I am looking at over $18,000 difference - after my insurance pays for here!  I think I'll wait.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I don't know...  Paying an extra $9200 out of pocket over what it would cost me in the Philippines is a little much.  If I did everything the dentist wanted to do, I am looking at over $18,000 difference - after my insurance pays for here!  I think I'll wait.

You know what they say about fixing an old car....there comes a time when it is not worthwhile to spend anymore money on it.

After insurance, do you still have to pay that much for 2 root canals and crowns? Lay off those jawbreakers!

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

Imagine the marriage break ups Dental tourism could cause. Western husband and wife couple make a holiday and dental trip to the Philippines. Husband never knew how much attention he could get from the Filipina before as he knows stuff all about the country. They return home with a set of nice teeth while husband decides out with the old (wife) and packs his bags for greener pasture.  :hystery:

Not necessarily but he might afterwards  loook forward to more trips to the dentist!

• Like 2