Filipina And Foreigner Traveling

brock
Posted
Posted

. Via Cebu Pacific we flew to Bangkok for Janet's first ever trip out of PI. While we only had one day there we really liked Bangkok. Clean and modern, it's a great city and while I have no interest in moving to a city so big, I liked it a lot.

A day later we traveled to Chiang Mai for the bulk of our adventure. We stayed out of the city at Secret Garden, a quaint hideaway run by a couple (the Swiss husband was super friendly, the Thai wife did most of the work and was a wonderful cook). The next day we had one of those life altering experiences, riding and bathing elephants in one of the camps that Chiang Mai is famous for. I managed not to fall off and Janet was a natural.

BTW, thoughout our trip virtually every person we met thought Janet was Thai. They all approached her and spoke Thai to her and she acted like a deer in the headlights; I would have to explain that she is a Filipina.

We spent time in Chiang Mai during the famous Songkran Water Festival, a wet and wild national new years party! Total blast even for a geezer like me.

All too soon we left Thailand, returned to Cebu and the Waterfront Hotel and the next day I returned to the US and Janet to Leyte.

Nice story Dave, Did you have any hassle at the airport taking Janet out of the country ?

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Nice story Dave, Did you have any hassle at the airport taking Janet out of the country ?

Brock, if a Filipino has a passport they can travel to most of the SE Asian countries without hassles, right???  Just wondering if you heard of issues because we hope to travel to SE Asia later in the year.  I don't recall reading about any issues here on the forum, but my memory was full years ago!   :bash:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Brock, if a Filipino has a passport they can travel to most of the SE Asian countries without hassles, right???  Just wondering if you heard of issues because we hope to travel to SE Asia later in the year.  I don't recall reading about any issues here on the forum, but my memory was full years ago!   :bash:

I wouldn't expect any problems if you are married and traveling together. The exit screening could be a problem for young unmarried filipina's.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)
Brock, if a Filipino has a passport they can travel to most of the SE Asian countries without hassles, right???  Just wondering if you heard of issues because we hope to travel to SE Asia later in the year.  I don't recall reading about any issues here on the forum, but my memory was full years ago!  

A Filipina travelling abroad is supposed to have a cfo if she is with a foreigner even if married, Their have been lots of cases where Filipinas have been refused to board the plane, Even though it is in the Philippine bill of rights that they cannot refuse a person to travel abroad.

I am taking Nesa to Spain at the end of this year, And she has to get a cfo from Cebu, Then get a sticker from the airport at the time of travel to attach to her passport to allow her to leave,

they have to sit through a 4 hour seminar telling them all the pitfalls of being married to a foreigner and living in another country....Even if you are just going for a holiday they can insist you have a cfo, Even though you don't by law need one.

Edited by brock
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Brock, if a Filipino has a passport they can travel to most of the SE Asian countries without hassles, right???  Just wondering if you heard of issues because we hope to travel to SE Asia later in the year.  I don't recall reading about any issues here on the forum, but my memory was full years ago!  

A Filipina travelling abroad is supposed to have a cfo if she is with a foreigner even if married, Their have been lots of cases where Filipinas have been refused to board the plane, Even though it is in the Philippine bill of rights that they cannot refuse a person to travel abroad.

I am taking Nesa to Spain at the end of this year, And she has to get a cfo from Cebu, Then get a sticker from the airport at the time of travel to attach to her passport to allow her to leave,

they have to sit through a 4 hour seminar telling them all the pitfalls of being married to a foreigner and living in another country....Even if you are just going for a holiday they can insist you have a cfo, Even though you don't by law need one.

Thanks Brock!  I guess we have a bit of homework to do before we leave the country.

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted
A Filipina travelling abroad is supposed to have a cfo

Opps.....CFO is?.....CertifiedFlightPlan??...

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I would not call it a hassle but because this was Janet's first time ever out of the country and her passport was unused (blank) I did have to sign a form for her. Some kind of guarantee. No big deal and it seemed appropriate, since I intend to take care of her for the rest of my life - and she me!

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some of the posts. The CFO Pre Departure Seminar is required for emigrants and those permanently moving to another country, not for those going on a holiday or short vacation.

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Yes we certainly did not have to do CFO (that will come when the Visa is approved) but I did have to sign some form. 

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding some of the posts. The CFO Pre Departure Seminar is required for emigrants and those permanently moving to another country, not for those going on a holiday or short vacation.

Yes you are right Mike, But people have been stopped by immigration from going abroad if they are in the company of a foreigner, even for a holiday to other asian countries,Even married people.

We have been told we also need a cfo to get a new passport for Nesa.

You can read about all the problems people have on harry the horse

Edited by brock
  • Like 1