Filipina And Foreigner Traveling

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Brock, if a Filipino has a passport they can travel to most of the SE Asian countries without hassles, right???  Just wondering if you heard of issues because we hope to travel to SE Asia later in the year.  I don't recall reading about any issues here on the forum, but my memory was full years ago!  

A Filipina travelling abroad is supposed to have a cfo if she is with a foreigner even if married, Their have been lots of cases where Filipinas have been refused to board the plane, Even though it is in the Philippine bill of rights that they cannot refuse a person to travel abroad.

I am taking Nesa to Spain at the end of this year, And she has to get a cfo from Cebu, Then get a sticker from the airport at the time of travel to attach to her passport to allow her to leave,

they have to sit through a 4 hour seminar telling them all the pitfalls of being married to a foreigner and living in another country....Even if you are just going for a holiday they can insist you have a cfo, Even though you don't by law need one.

Where in Cebu do you get the CFO?

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have never had any problems with immigration. Then again, my wife had a US green card. Now we no longer have to deal with different passports. Wife just got her US citizenship. One of the best parts of that is no longer having to deal with the extra tax & clearance lines to leave Philippines.

I would like details on this one!  Which passport are you using to enter and exit the Philippines?  Enter on the her RP passport to get the balikbayan stamp in yours?  Leave on 2 USA passports to avoid the travel tax?  Does it matter if the entry stamp is in her passport used to exit???

Where in Cebu do you get the CFO?

It is near downtown in Cebu.  If you do it plan on the whole day in and out of there.  Show up early in the AM or no slot, depending on the day and who is trying to get in.  We did it for the USA trip, but not needed for asia trips.

CFO Cebu Desk

Causing-Lozada Building, Osmeña Boulevard corner

MJ Cuenco Street, Cebu City, Philippines

Telefax: (032) 255-5253

Email: cfocebu@cfo.gov.ph

edit: I'll define 'early' as 5:30 am... some days you can get a slot at 7:30 still, but it really depends on who else it trying to get in.

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

GregZ,

We are going back in December. This will be her first trip back using a USA passport. Will have to wait and see what they stamp it.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted
December. This will be her first trip back using a USA passport.

How did she enter this time?  Philippine passport to get you balikbayan stamp?

I'm asking because I hope to be in this situation in a few years.  If she entered on the RP passport won't they want her to leave on that?  Otherwise, it seems to me they will look in her US passport to see when she entered and how long her visa is/was good. There will be no stamp.

I have no experience but have read that you should leave a country on the same passport you enter on.  If she came into RP on the US passport then you both are getting visas?  I am sure you are not doing that.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Let me clarify. My wife is here with me in USA. Just this year she earned her citizenship. So she is now a full US citizen. She also now has her US passport. We are going to see what happens when we arrive this year in Philippines to see if they consider her to be a Balikbayan still.

She is also going to process the dual citizen requirements. December is a bit of a ways off.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted
to see if they consider her to be a Balikbayan still.

I think it depends on if she has been out of the Philippines for more than 1 year, But not 100% sure

MikeB
Posted
Posted
My wife is here with me in USA. Just this year she earned her citizenship. So she is now a full US citizen. She also now has her US passport. We are going to see what happens when we arrive this year in Philippines to see if they consider her to be a Balikbayan still.

No one can say 100% what any immigration officer may do but I have many friends who retired to the US and visit here every year. They are mostly US citizens, their Filipino passports lapsed. They are always granted the 1 year BB stamp. I believe your wife should qualify no problem, it is a courtesy extended to people like her. Have her speak in the local dialect of the officer if possible. 

Americano
Posted
Posted

Born a Filipino you are always a Filipino is the way Filipinos look at it. In America when you become an American citizen you are no longer a Filipino you are an American but Filipinos are too proud to be a Filipino to allow that crap in the Philippines.

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)
She is also going to process the dual citizen requirements.

I found this on another site:

"The BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM lets you stay up to a year at a time using your US passport and possibly showing your Philippine passport upon entry into the Philippines if asked to prove you were born in the Philippines but most likely they will never ask for it if you speak the language and your US passport says born in the Philippines, then you should be all set without ever showing your Philippines passport."

"You apply for restoration of your Philippines citizenship at a Philippines Consulate in the U.S. or ..."  "... at the Bureau of Immigration.

http://immigration.g...id=24&Itemid=80"

This information came from 3 different posts on 2 topics.  I believe it is accurate.  The last link has all the information you need for dual citizenship if you have not started to research that topic yet.

EDIT:

The following Filipino citizens are exempted from the payment of Travel Tax pursuant to Sec. 2 of PD 1183, as amended:                  

(a)  Filipino overseas contract workers.

(b)  Filipino permanent residents abroad whose stay or visit in the Philippines is less than one year.

Edited by GregZ

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

to see if they consider her to be a Balikbayan still.

I think it depends on if she has been out of the Philippines for more than 1 year, But not 100% sure

According to the law she would have to be out of the country for OVER 1 year to take advantage of the balikbayan stamp.  Reportedly that minimum time out of the country is not enforced and any entry to the Philippines is generally given the stamp, including accompanying family members.  Your results may vary of course.

EDIT: Very good information at those links... "© a former Filipino citizen who had been naturalized in a foreign country and holds a foreign passport."

Edited by GregZ