Filipina And Foreigner Traveling

MikeB
Posted
Posted
But people have been stopped by immigration from going abroad if they are in the company of a foreigner, even for a holiday to other asian countries,Even married people. We have been told we also need a cfo to get a new passport for Nesa.

You can read about all the problems people have on harry the horse

Yes, at Clark. I would avoid it. 

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have just went from Manila to Toronto with no problems. First, straight in at T2 in Manila, she had to pay 1620p travel tax. Then we checked in with PAL, got our boarding passes and Disembarkation cards ( a 3" by 5" basic ID info, one side only). Then paid our departure taxes of 550p each. Then to Immigration. She presented her passport (with tourist visa stamp), and the Disembarkation card. It was stamped with no questions. I presented my passport, ECC, and Disembarkation card. It was stamped with no questions. From start at the front door of T2, to finish at the boarding gates, it was less than 10 minutes with no line ups. We were 2 hours early.
   At Toronto, we presented our Customs Declaration form with our passports.  He asked what our relationship is. He asked why that I didn't bring back any of that cheap rum. He stamped our passports and said "Welcome to Canada". At both Manila and Toronto, we stayed together. If you are a Canadian travelling alone, they have a new system at Toronto Immigration where you scan your customs declaration card at one of the 20 scanners instead of going to an officer. 

There is more info in "Travelling with a Filipina - Split Topic

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/14995-traveling-with-filipina-split-topic/

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added link and fixed copy and paste format
  • Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

We have never had any problems with immigration. Then again, my wife had a US green card. Now we no longer have to deal with different passports. Wife just got her US citizenship. One of the best parts of that is no longer having to deal with the extra tax & clearance lines to leave Philippines.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
You can read about all the problems people have

Remember in some cases it can be GOOD too, if it's hard for Filipinas to get out.

Besides the purpouse of making human trafficing harder,

I don't like to travel, but my probably future wife do,

easier for me to afford a lifestyle she find good, if no cost for (her) travel,

and if she never see the Swedish living standard to compare with  :)  

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some of the posts. The CFO Pre Departure Seminar is required for emigrants and those permanently moving to another country, not for those going on a holiday or short vacation.

That is correct.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some of the posts. The CFO Pre Departure Seminar is required for emigrants and those permanently moving to another country, not for those going on a holiday or short vacation.

That is correct.

Yes it is however, as Brock says, there have been too many stories of people who have valid travel docs being denied boarding or "offloaded" by immigration at Clark and told to go to this seminar in Manila even though the BI website clearly states it's a requirement for emigrants. Where there's that much smoke there must be a little fire. I would avoid that airport if traveling out of the country with spouse. 

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Does this only happen at Clark? Is it age related?

Me & my wife have travelled out of the Philippines many times & have never needed to attend any seminar, never really been questioned regarding any flights whatsoever.... Maybe we just been lucky!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
jon1
Posted
Posted

It is hit or miss on the CFO thing. I have taken my fiance out and about several times (Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong) without any major issues. That does not mean that it was 100% smooth.

We just went to Bangkok/Kho Samui for one week (1-7 May 13) and had a great time. The adventure started at Clark. I had been reading a lot on Harry the Horse and a few other places about the "hassles" by the Clark Immigration folks. So to prepare for this, I had her bring her bank book, expired passport (with her Singapore, Hong Kong stamps), and I gave her $1000USD cash to put in her purse. Her freshly renewed passport was virgin. After filling out the disembarkation forms, paying her exit tax (1600p) and our exit tax (550p each),  we go thru the immigration line (her first) and when the filipina customs official starts to question her she tells her the life story. Told her that she has traveled abroad before with me (had to show her the expired passport). The official then asked to see mine and located the same exit/entry stamps to corroborate her story. We showed her the hotel reservations in Bangkok/Kho Samui. We both remained cool and collected throughout the 10 minute grilling. She was never asked about her finances so she didn't have to prove her financial status. In the end, we both got stamped without issue and were off to our holiday.

It's a shame that the PI is like this, as it puts unneeded stresses on what is meant to be a destressing holiday. I feel that the ace in the deck on this was that my girl looked the official in the eye the whole time and never got rattled, or nervous. I also didn't act like the "ugly American" and was deferential and calm the whole time.

Could a CFO have alleviated this stress? MAYBE.. But to obtain one she has to go to Manila (3-4 hours drive for me), then 4 hours seminar and another 3-4 hour drive home = not fun as I HATE Manila and it's traffic/pollution. A friend of mine's girlfriend had to do the CFO even tho she has been to Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore many times. I do not think that he pulled the "ugly American" either as he is a cool individual. He ended up proceeding without her and she followed the next day after she got a CFO. 

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It is hit or miss on the CFO thing. I have taken my fiance out and about several times (Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong) without any major issues. That does not mean that it was 100% smooth.

We just went to Bangkok/Kho Samui for one week (1-7 May 13) and had a great time. The adventure started at Clark. I had been reading a lot on Harry the Horse and a few other places about the "hassles" by the Clark Immigration folks. So to prepare for this, I had her bring her bank book, expired passport (with her Singapore, Hong Kong stamps), and I gave her $1000USD cash to put in her purse. Her freshly renewed passport was virgin. After filling out the disembarkation forms, paying her exit tax (1600p) and our exit tax (550p each),  we go thru the immigration line (her first) and when the filipina customs official starts to question her she tells her the life story. Told her that she has traveled abroad before with me (had to show her the expired passport). The official then asked to see mine and located the same exit/entry stamps to corroborate her story. We showed her the hotel reservations in Bangkok/Kho Samui. We both remained cool and collected throughout the 10 minute grilling. She was never asked about her finances so she didn't have to prove her financial status. In the end, we both got stamped without issue and were off to our holiday.

It's a shame that the PI is like this, as it puts unneeded stresses on what is meant to be a destressing holiday. I feel that the ace in the deck on this was that my girl looked the official in the eye the whole time and never got rattled, or nervous. I also didn't act like the "ugly American" and was deferential and calm the whole time.

Could a CFO have alleviated this stress? MAYBE.. But to obtain one she has to go to Manila (3-4 hours drive for me), then 4 hours seminar and another 3-4 hour drive home = not fun as I HATE Manila and it's traffic/pollution. A friend of mine's girlfriend had to do the CFO even tho she has been to Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore many times. I do not think that he pulled the "ugly American" either as he is a cool individual. He ended up proceeding without her and she followed the next day after she got a CFO. 

Great tips on how to (hopefully) depart without issues.  Of course, this is the Philippines and many of the actions carried out by government employees is to their own interpretation.  Still, if we all act this way, life becomes so much easier!  Thank you sir!

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some horror stories of Filipina`s trying to leave the country.

Edited by MikeB
Removed blog link, not allowed.