Whats Your Speed?

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

are you sure your ready to see this hahaha ?? ok sorry guys 2750820975.png

O-U-C :thumbsup:

Are you on top of the node? That's a killer speed to have in both directions. Now only if the other other side one downloads is just as fast.

HAHAHA yeah i think so flyaway i must be on top of the node ! but actually im thinking about switching isp's because im paying threw the teeth for this service and also have a bandwidth limit of 150 gigs a month not that i ever go over it but i still have to wach it coz sometimes i come close ! im paying $100 cdn a month 4200 pesos but i think if you were getting that speed in the philippines you would prob pay over 30 000 a month so i guess comparatively im getting a good deal but i know i can get it for half the price if i switch so im seriously thinking about it !!

O-U-C :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is an update from me.  Perhaps it will help someone.  My original numbers are below, from June.

Our SMART WIMAX has been down a few times since June.  Most recently, for the past week.  We have been calling them everyday and finally they sent a contractor out today.  The 3 man team switched us to a new modem and it works well, as far as download speed.  SMART internet has moved over to PLDT and is called MyBro now.  They gave us a new modem that has WiFi built-in (the old one did not), and has two large antennas on top.  I am not sure if those are for the Wifi or the incoming signal.

The bad thing about the new modem is that is has terrible WiFi.  I only get three bars 20 feet away.  So I hooked up my old Linksys Wifi to it and the combination is working great.

Using speedtest, I am consistently getting a little over 2 mbps download, compared to 1 mbps before.  Upload is poor at around 10-30 mbps.  We pay p999 a month for what was supposed to be 1 mbps service.

Moral of the story:  If you have an old SMART WIMAX modem, you might want to see if you can wrangle one of these new ones from MyBro at PLDT.

Side note:  I loaded up my SMARTBRO stick and have been using it the last few days.  It also get 2+ mbps but the nice thing about it is that it has good upload speed, 1+ mbps.

SMART WIMAX without VPN

DL 1.03 MBPS

UL .07 MBPS

Ping 387 ms

SMART WIMAX with Stong VPN (Miami)

Pittman's test site would not come up.  Strange.

Tried www.speedtest.net

DL 85 MBPS

UL .07 MBPS

Ping  400 ms

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The bad thing about the new modem is that is has terrible WiFi.  I only get three bars 20 feet away.  So I hooked up my old Linksys Wifi to it and the combination is working great.

That's the best way, imo, because you have complete control of security. I would disable the other wifi, no reason to have it broadcasting 24/7.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

That's the best way, imo, because you have complete control of security. I would disable the other wifi, no reason to have it broadcasting 24/7.

I agree 100% Mike ..... when I had my service hooked up here I told the guys to disable the WiFi on their Globe router that I would be using my Linksys router with the system .... one guy looked at the other smiled and said he knows what he's doing (maybe it was just to patronize me .... :mocking: ) anyway it worked as both got a C2 on their way out the door ..... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

jon1
Posted
Posted

I am probably gonna switch to the new FIBER service. For the same price that I am paying now for a DSL Internet (3MB), Landline and Cable TV, I will get the same service but at 8MB

post-3196-0-38132300-1390019263_thumb.jp

post-3196-0-71908300-1390019269_thumb.jp

post-3196-0-35654500-1390019276_thumb.jp

post-3196-0-23964800-1390019283_thumb.jp

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I am probably gonna switch to the new FIBER service. For the same price that I am paying now for a DSL Internet (3MB), Landline and Cable TV, I will get the same service but at 8MB

I was planning on getting DSL or something else when our SMART contract expires in March, but the new MyBro is working well so I may just keep it.  The speed has been fairly consistent, ~2 MBPS all weekend.  For the first time since I have been here I was able to download large files.  For p999 it is a good deal for 2 MBPS.  I hope it will be reliable.

FIBR looks good but is pricey.  Let us know when you get it and the real world speed.  The packages are not good for us because we don't really need a landline and we get free cable in our rent.

When I talked to PLDT / SubicTel about DSL, they said I would have to pay over p4000 deposit because the last guy at our house skipped on a large bill.  Guilty by association?

jon1
Posted
Posted

I am with you on the landline. If ever you do go DSL or FIBR, make sure that you get the landline without long distance capabilities. You will be charged long distance charges for calling a cell phone and the charges can get quite exorbitant. We use infrequently for Freeport calls only (comes in handy when making delivery orders or dealing with Freeport businesses).

When I got my place, it had "free" cable. I found out later that it was an illegal tap. So I cut it, opened a new account, they came out and installed a new drop and no more worries about the consequences (fines and possible jail time). Not worth the risk in my book as I was the lease right's owner.

Somehow the large deposit brings to mind the mentality of these companies. I would have offered to pay for a year's subscription up front in lieu of the larger deposit. I think I only paid 2000p and that was for the installation of the phone line that the DSL feeds off of.

I will let you know if I do go with this option in April how it pans out. Still on the fence about it as I might start trimming my monthly budget on things

jpbago
Posted
Posted
When I talked to PLDT / SubicTel about DSL, they said I would have to pay over p4000 deposit because the last guy at our house skipped on a large bill.  Guilty by association?

A nearby lady has skipped 3 times now, on large internet/phone bills, very larger ones from the same house. She gets someone else to call for a hook up at her house as if they are the new renters, then runs up the charges, then gets cut off and it is the other someone's responsibility who has no money. PDLT/Globe never asked for security deposits. You can't get blood out of a stone. She also borrows money from others and never pays back. She owes for cable. She owes for electricity. Schemers/scammers are good at what they do.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

At one time PLDT was asking for a rather large deposit for internet service because it seems some foreigners were skipping the country and not paying their bill and I guess also we can pay for these deposits where as the average Filipino could not .... old saying ... "whatever the traffic will bare" .... :hystery:

:cheersty:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A nearby lady has skipped 3 times now, on large internet/phone bills, very larger ones from the same house. She gets someone else to call for a hook up at her house as if they are the new renters, then runs up the charges, then gets cut off and it is the other someone's responsibility who has no money. PDLT/Globe never asked for security deposits. You can't get blood out of a stone. She also borrows money from others and never pays back. She owes for cable. She owes for electricity. Schemers/scammers are good at what they do.

In this particular case, the "scammer" was an American expat.  He owes for electric, cable, PLDT and he owes my landlord.

I just looked at the paper PLDT gave me last October for their normal DSL.  1 year contract for any of the plans, which is good.  Most are 2 years.  1200 install + 4000 security, and the normal security was 2000.

If I end up getting DSL, I will probably try Globe.  A friend has it here and it is working well for him.  However, for now I am content with the new MyBro box and plan.