An Online Dating Cautionary Tale

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I thought you would enjoy this story I just heard. This story will just show you how resourceful the fillipa’s can be.

A close friend of mine has been interested in moving to the Philippines for some time. As a result he started to join all the Asian dating sites like I did about 3 years ago. Despite my warning to stay away from these sites at all costs, he still went forward with the “online dating”.

He has been telling me about this girl for about 3 months now. She sounded great, he showed me her pictures, and she was stunning. Maybe a little too stunning. I told him, usually with this type of online contact, anything that is too good to be true, is usually not true. Anyway, I digress…lol…at least he did one thing I said, not to get too overly emotionally invested until he sees some kind of photo ID. Which surprisingly she did, she supplied her Philippines ID, which I admit the photos on those things could be of anyone.

Anyone, this young lady was very clever, which makes my cynical mind think she has been doing this for awhile. I saw some of the emails that she sent my friend, and on all of them she never ever came out and asked for money. But if you followed her train of thought she left a huge trail of very subtle hints of deep needs of money.

My friend fell for it hook line and sinker. My friend did tell me the amount of money he had been sending her via Western Union. Money for food, clothes, medicine for family, etc. etc….but the total was somewhere in the area of 150,000 php. I wish I knew he was getting in this deep, but he kept it from me.

Here is the heart breaking part. My friend flies to Manila to meet the love of his life. She was suppose to meet him at airport. He waited all day and she never turned up. Tried to call her on her cell phone, and the number was disconnected, tried her email and no reply. Her address on ID was only Street and suburb, with no number, so he could not even really track her down.

As a result he came back on the next flight devastated. As most of us guys know, it is not so much the money that was scammed, it is the emotional toll these stupid things take on us.

So boys beware the beautiful Filipina J. Find your girl in the SM Mall instead…hehe….

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Very good story and warning to those who are new to "dating sites" or here to the RP.

at least he didnt go "bonkers  " like a french man did about 2 yrs ago.

there is a member of the forum i believe that does INVESTIGATIONS,

when 1 has a suspicious mind. anarock? paul?

perhaps if YOU have that someone special you should, spend a little to"check her out"

Yes. maybe you will have better success at SM MEGAMALL.

i met mine as a saleslady in a nice mall(manila)

and well, i never had to use/locate anyone via a date site,no need no use too,

Good women are out there, So many fish, Not enough hooks to catch them

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Poor guy, I'd have been so devastated that I would have walked around and found another one, I mean, since I was already here.....

• Like 4

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

At one point in my life here I was in desperate trouble and needed to find employment, I had made contact with an expat through a friend of a friend, who was looking for expats to work in his place and as he said the work was very easy and you could make lots of money. He stated that he had people working for him that would take home over 100,000 pesos a month, for a few hours work a day. ( after experiencing what I experienced there, I believe him)

To make a long story short, he invited me up to Angeles to meet him, which I did and stayed with a friend here, as at the time I was living in Manila.

This guy showed me around his set up, which was in the "Garage" attached to his house, (quite a nice garage at that, it was a two story affair, with a dance floor and even a pole dancing stage upstairs, where he had set up about 30 "Call Centre" like stations, and there were quite a few Filipinos (male and female) as well as a few foreigners, working away at most of them.

After he explained what he was doing there he asked if I would like his IT guy to set me up at a station and spend the day trying to "get customers".

Well needless to say, I needed money and was there so said sure.

My name was "Candy" and boy did I look Hot, Hot, Hot.... from my picture, and all I had to do was join sites and pretend I was a beautiful young Filipina, I was never to ask for money but I was to spin a tale of my poor life and the needs of my family etc.

OK, before I go much further, I did not work for this guy, only stayed a few hours and never met with this guy again, (however now that I live here I have heard that he was raided and his place shut down! But I also heard he set up somewhere else here in Angeles and is doing the same thing, but I have not been able to find out where etc.)

In the few hours I was there, I had about 20 guys offer to send me money, one who offered to pay my flights and join him for a holiday in Cyprus etc etc.(Not to mention a few others who offered to give me a lot more than money, and to show me their body parts etc.!!!!!)

For those who wanted to see me, I had this "split cam" thing set up on this PC, and all I had to do was accept his invitation to connect and it showed this pre recorded video thing. (Let me remind you at this point that I was Hot Hot Hot Hot!!!!) Even I could not take my eyes off of myself!!!! Ha Ha.( nothing explicit and nothing naked...., but very very close let me tell you)

OK, I guess what I am trying to say, is that it is not always Filipina that you have to wary of, but also the professional scam artist who are bank rolling many of these places, and in most cases they are expats themselves!

I am not necessarily proud of that particular adventure in my life story, but when you are broke, and have nothing to eat, and have a wife and a baby on the way, with no income and no food to put on the table you will do anything to take care of the ones you love.

Thankfully in my case I did not follow through with this, and fortunately did get employment not long after this incident, so I have been lucky.

But the old saying "Buyer beware" is very true.

Papa Carl

• Like 4

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I just know I have set myself up for some terrible ribbing here!

Jake before you start into me about looking sexy and wanting to see some pics of me, let me remind you, I was on his PC. I do not have that function or those pics to send you......., so stop harassing me to connect on messenger and wanting to see me!!!!!

I just feel so abused and I know you only want me for my body!!!!!!

Candy (ex Papa Carl)

• Like 5

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Online dating site rule number 1. NEVER send money.

If the girl is legit she will still be there if and when you arrive.

A buddy of mine got burned really badly by a live in gf in Mandaue. He had a keystroke logger installed on his computer and he caught her. Other gals were also using his computer ( her friends and neighbors ) and he was stunned when he saw what was going on there. He shared some of it with me but after an hour or so I couldn't look at that stuff any more. Never ever send money to an online chat mate.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

As I wrote in  some other thread - Make the scammers lose interest and leave to try to scam others,

by tell them direct the money subject come up, "I will surely not give/send any money within at least (half year)"...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You can't buy love.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

At one point in my life here I was in desperate trouble and needed to find employment, I had made contact with an expat through a friend of a friend, who was looking for expats to work in his place and as he said the work was very easy and you could make lots of money. He stated that he had people working for him that would take home over 100,000 pesos a month, for a few hours work a day. ( after experiencing what I experienced there, I believe him)

To make a long story short, he invited me up to Angeles to meet him, which I did and stayed with a friend here, as at the time I was living in Manila.

This guy showed me around his set up, which was in the "Garage" attached to his house, (quite a nice garage at that, it was a two story affair, with a dance floor and even a pole dancing stage upstairs, where he had set up about 30 "Call Centre" like stations, and there were quite a few Filipinos (male and female) as well as a few foreigners, working away at most of them.

After he explained what he was doing there he asked if I would like his IT guy to set me up at a station and spend the day trying to "get customers".

Well needless to say, I needed money and was there so said sure.

My name was "Candy" and boy did I look Hot, Hot, Hot.... from my picture, and all I had to do was join sites and pretend I was a beautiful young Filipina, I was never to ask for money but I was to spin a tale of my poor life and the needs of my family etc.

OK, before I go much further, I did not work for this guy, only stayed a few hours and never met with this guy again, (however now that I live here I have heard that he was raided and his place shut down! But I also heard he set up somewhere else here in Angeles and is doing the same thing, but I have not been able to find out where etc.)

In the few hours I was there, I had about 20 guys offer to send me money, one who offered to pay my flights and join him for a holiday in Cyprus etc etc.(Not to mention a few others who offered to give me a lot more than money, and to show me their body parts etc.!!!!!)

For those who wanted to see me, I had this "split cam" thing set up on this PC, and all I had to do was accept his invitation to connect and it showed this pre recorded video thing. (Let me remind you at this point that I was Hot Hot Hot Hot!!!!) Even I could not take my eyes off of myself!!!! Ha Ha.( nothing explicit and nothing naked...., but very very close let me tell you)

OK, I guess what I am trying to say, is that it is not always Filipina that you have to wary of, but also the professional scam artist who are bank rolling many of these places, and in most cases they are expats themselves!

I am not necessarily proud of that particular adventure in my life story, but when you are broke, and have nothing to eat, and have a wife and a baby on the way, with no income and no food to put on the table you will do anything to take care of the ones you love.

Thankfully in my case I did not follow through with this, and fortunately did get employment not long after this incident, so I have been lucky.

But the old saying "Buyer beware" is very true.

Papa Carl

great story :)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I just know I have set myself up for some terrible ribbing here!

Jake before you start into me about looking sexy and wanting to see some pics of me, let me remind you, I was on his PC. I do not have that function or those pics to send you......., so stop harassing me to connect on messenger and wanting to see me!!!!!

I just feel so abused and I know you only want me for my body!!!!!!

Candy (ex Papa Carl)

Damn! You are too fast!

Candy! I thought you were dead.. Oh My GAWD I am so glad I found you..... is how I was going to start out......

• Like 3