An Online Dating Cautionary Tale

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Basically as I've said in the past, in other posts, I'm moving to PI and a relationship would be just gravy.

A good sign of a stable mind and good grasp of reality. :541:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

. . .  It really is a case of different strokes and there is no hard and fast. . . .  

I agree.  Good edit btw :-)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Lol good point Dave and I will edit accordingly.  <mutters something about being logical and not opinionated>

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Oh I just want to say, stop making broad generalizations about these women.  Your or your friend's bad experience does not mean it's the norm. There is no paradigm and you need to take each experience as it comes, be careful, but don't be a dick.  If you have half a brain you won't be sucked in by a scammer.  I liken it to letters from Nigeria;  you wouldn't send them money so why would you do it on a dating site?  I understand that there's a lot of lonely guys out there for whatever reason though.  Most Filipinas have so much to offer with regards to values that we've lost in the west, both men and women, and I understand the attraction. My personality lends me to being very cautious to the point of paranoia so the dating sites work for me but having said that it may be more appropriate for some to arrive there and search out their love in real life.  It really is a case of different strokes and there is no hard and fast.  At the end of the day guys, look after yourself, you're all you have when it comes to the crunch.  Jake's two hour rule aside, you may be perfectly happy living in the house with Momma or you may want to put some distance between your relationship and her family.  It doesn't matter really, as long as you're happy with the situation.  You will be judged either way whether it's from your family or hers but to quote a former US president:  Those that don't count mind, those that count don't mind.  And to all the nay sayers don't let your experience be the only one.

:th_thbestpost: on developing relationships and the correct attitude to have ........ :AddEmoticons04230:  :thumbs-up-smile: 

:cheersty:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Online dating permits both sides to lie like crazy. You can't determine if the other side of the communication link is a man, woman or something else. Even with all the warnings about not to send money, there is a sucker born every minute. It's unfortunate your friend got ripped off. 

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

She met me at the airport with her uncle in the pouring rain in the middle of the night.  Her smile was radiant, her hugs were strong.  She was real!  Her uncle made sure I was OK before leaving us alone later.  We had a great visit and I've been back two more times since.  I was there late April-early May this year and on the one year anniversary of our first chat I proposed to Marie at Lantaw floating restaurant in Cordova.  She accepted and I filed the I-129F paperwork when I returned home.

Was I lucky or careful or both?  I feel lucky, because she really is a wonderful woman.  She had also chatted with a few older white men on the AD site, but didn't like the other ones who seemed to focused on something other than a committed relationship.  As it turns out, she had joined the site within a day or two of when I did (our numerical IDs were almost the same) and she also was about to give up on it.  I was careful, observant, questioning, skeptical, but above all, honest.  She was the same.

As my late grandfather would say: put that on your floppy disk.

Dougbert

Well Dougbert, looks like you engineered yourself into the open arms of your future wife Marie.  

We really appreciate another successful love story via the internet.  Like you said in how I met

my wife Judy, yours is also truly inspirational!

Respectfully -- Jake 

• Like 5

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Well Dougbert, looks like you engineered yourself into the open arms of your future wife Marie.  

We really appreciate another successful love story via the internet.  Like you said in how I met

my wife Judy, yours is also truly inspirational!

Respectfully -- Jake 

Thank you, kind sir.  I'm not sure how much engineering went on, but so far, so good.  Marie really is something else. 

• Like 4