How Many Expats Drive ? Your Pros And Cons

imonacan
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just been wondering if it is practical, to drive yourself. Yes, I've experienced the driving.. and it's enough to make me consider never driving.  If so, maybe a motorbike or vehicle out in the province. How reliable  is good public transportation out in places like Carcar - Barili - Badian ? Do any of you have a driver / security guy ? My wife wants to drive there, and maybe.. that will be enough. She became a very good driver here in NY, after a shaky start.. lol. Just weighing out the options, and seeing what has worked for others. Thanks for any replies, and your experiences are appreciated !

Bill

edited to add my name.. again

Edited by imonacan
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Driving is a non-issue here in Subic Bay Freeport Zone.  Same as U.S. or better because there is not really any traffic.  In neighboring Olongapo City it is a bit more exciting, but still reasonable.  There does seem to be some sense of courtesy in Olongapo, and people will let you squeeze in when you need to.

Driving from here to Clark airport is a breeze too.  No traffic on the  SCTEX toll road and good driving in the Clark Freeport Zone area too.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Driving is a non-issue here in Subic Bay Freeport Zone.  Same as U.S. or better because there is not really any traffic.  In neighboring Olongapo City it is a bit more exciting, but still reasonable.  There does seem to be some sense of courtesy in Olongapo, and people will let you squeeze in when you need to.

Driving from here to Clark airport is a breeze too.  No traffic on the  SCTEX toll road and good driving in the Clark Freeport Zone area too.

Hey OMW,

I think you got me sold on my old stompin' grounds, which is Olongapo area where I was born.

Thank you for another outstanding boots on the ground report!

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Hey, Jake, don't forget us here in Angeles. Just like Subic, Clark is a breeze, Angeles also is a different kettle of fish, but still much less headache than Manila.

Never drove in Manila, never wanted to, but since we moved up to Angeles it has been no problem.

Drove through Manila a few times on our way somewhere else, but always made sure it was at around 3 in the morning to avoid all the traffic.

I'll leave Manila driving to the Buses, Trikes, Jeepneys and yes of course those crazy taxi drivers with Coke Bottle Glasses.

Papa Carl

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I don't drive here mainly for the liability issues that Mike stated. I like to follow driving rules. Western ones. I have heard some horror stories. I have seen some accidents. I use the buses, jeepneys, and taxis. In the taxis, I get the front seat with a seat belt and airbag if possible. We both don't like to travel much.

As for walking, I agree with Dali. No right of ways for pedestrians. My wife couldn't believe the difference in Canada. We would come to an intersection and I would keep walking but she would hesitate and drag me back until the traffic stopped at the stop signs. Here, even with a policeman directing traffic at a crosswalk in front of a school, the traffic does not stop for pedestrians.

The taxis and Ceres buses drive way too fast. They have rebuilt most of the highway here to Bacolod up to 4 lanes wide and there is one place where some people are building what looks to be 4 stores right up to the edge of the pavement. Buses will be whizzing by at 100 km/hr just inches from the buildings. Crazy!

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I plan to drive in the provinces but when it comes to the city, I think I will find someone to watch my vehicle near the edge of town and take public transport. I like the idea of planning to pass through major cities at 3am, thanks Papa Carl. Maybe I could negotiate 3am check in and next day departure at a hotel with parking and take public or hired transport.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
Pedestrians seem to have zero right of way

Not true here in Subic Bay Freeport Zone.  The traffic cops at the 2 or 3 main downtown intersections will pull you over if you don't stop for the peds in the crosswalk.  In the rest of the freeport most people will stop for the crosswalks, but I would not bet my life on it.  There are too many visitors who may plow you over!  I would not bet my life on it in any major US city either.

Something strange we saw recently is that at the major pedestrian crossroad in town, the traffic cops are making bicycle riders get off and walk their bikes!  That may have been a trial and I am not sure if they are still doing it.

Edit:  I should add that when I exit the freeport, I don't really stop for peds either.  They don't expect it and neither does the driver in back of you, so you risk getting rear ended if you aggressively stop.  If someone is stepping out I just slow down and push through.  However, women and kids I always try to stop for, first checking my rear.

Edit 2:  The points that Mike B. make are probably valid here in the Freeport too, but your chances of of having an accident are far less, IMHO.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2