How Many Expats Drive ? Your Pros And Cons

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I spend 10 to 15 k per month on taxis in Cebu City. I would never drive here because : traffic problem, parking problem, and if I was ever involved in an accident I would be screwed even if it was the other driver or pedestrian's fault.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

10-15k?!  Ouch!  I would take the jeepney!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
tworsha
Posted
Posted

I drive my motorcycle/sidecar here in Angeles City. I'm from California so am used to all types of drivers of different cultures. In the San Jose area it's a challenge to drive in the area's heavely populated with Chinese, Vietnamese and other Asian cultures. It's pretty similar to driving here. Just have to stay clam, keep your head on a swivel and watchout for the other guy. I find it makes life a little easier to just let the locals go as they please and not try to compete with them. :th_goodidea:

• Like 1

juanico
Posted
Posted

i drive around 12.000km per year with a car and 5000-7000km with my bike....in the province though.

particularly the bike tours are so much better than back in Europe...really enjoy it.

so far had no exeptional dangerous situation, my only accident happened while parking...

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I rented an SUV for a week and drove in the northern Luzon mountain areas. Had a great time. No issues with traffic. Only thing that made me uncomfortable was driving at night. There were just too many tricycles, motorcycles, jeepney's, etc. that had very dim or no lights.

• Like 3

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

For me I will prettying use my scooter most of the time but looking to buy a 2nd hand car when I am there. I've rented a car last time and when I brought it back it was missing One hub cap. They charged me P4,100!!! it was probably P500. I'd rather have own car for trips and such. I like the Suzuki APV. Honestly I drive like a real a-hole it's probably from growing up in a city loaded with NYC taxi drivers and a lot of road rage. So I'm used to the driving situation there.

The plus for me is no red light picture cameras there. The negative is I won't be able to use my badge to get me out of a ticket anymore. Now I'll have to use my wallet. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Markham
Posted
Posted

The plus for me is no red light picture cameras there.

Oh yes there are! Both Cebu/Mandaue cities and Davao have them now.
  • Like 2

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

The plus for me is no red light picture cameras there.

Oh yes there are! Both Cebu/Mandaue cities and Davao have them now.

Damn !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Anthonytt  my apc  armoured personal carrier is for hire I could not find a tank at the right price so the apc will have to do,its a bit thirsty but other drivers do get out of your way and parking is no problem except for the car you are parked on top of.  really that's what I need to drive when in Cebu cheers

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

We have a car, but I dislike driving immensely, having spent some years driving in Africa particularly Kampala and Nairobi I figured it couldn't be worse here in Cebu, but it is lol, perhaps its because when in Kampala and Nairobi I drove the companies Toyota land-cruiser and it was on there insurance and i could just call out a local from our HQ too deal with any accident.

Here I'm driving a car who's last owner may have been Mr Bean, its tiny I can probably give hand signals through either side window by simply stretching out my arms, the head rooms OK but my knee room means i have to slide one leg in at a time under the steering wheel, its an automatic so luckily i don't need to keep lifting my foot for the clutch, my American neighbor told me yesterday that if the coming typhoon causes any flooding we should use my car as a canoe, with me paddling with my hands hanging from each side window, whilst he steers from the back with our budgerigar on his shoulder.

anyway these days i only drive if i need building material that I cant carry on my shoulder or on our weekly shopping run. on the positive side should it break down i can just stick it under my arm and walk home.

:cheersty:

• Like 3