How Many Expats Drive ? Your Pros And Cons

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

I love it when I see a Manila driver pulled over.  I can imagine  their explanation.

I love it when I see Subic drivers getting pulled over for trying to obey the rules of the road in Manila, doing silly things like trying to stay in an actual lane and the likes    :devil:

BTW the first time I ever saw a stop sign than meant "COMPLETELY stop or we'll fine you" was in Subic - and yes I got pulled. Slowed to a near full stop, no cars within 500 yards either direction and BAM out of nowhere. Silly American laws win again. 

Yes we do have stop signs at home but it means something more along the lines of "no right of way whatsoever, so slow the eff down and if nothing is coming just be careful and roll on through"  

Edited by deevey
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
Petey
Posted
Posted

I drive in Manila on a daily basis. I use to love driving county lanes in UK - but here it's dire.

It's not so much the volume traffic in itself but its the lack of management of the road network. Most of it is based on American design ( this isn't a snipe at American road systems ) but in Manila, the lack of signal lights at intersection or the lack of understanding "Right of Way" ( which we use in U.K ) baffles me. I've had a number of close calls in getting side swiped but i manage to either yeild or take avasive action to get out of the situation. The only dent i have is in the front bumper where a woman reversed into me while in stationary traffic.

I also had issues with my car cutting out... stuttering and running on "nursing mod" using a maximum of 2000 rpm. I gave my car a check over and came to the conclusion that it was a fuling issue. Took of the fuel filter and it was gunked up with what looked like silicon and other contaminants. My car is a 2014 Montero and this happened just 8 months in having it. Took the part to Mitsubish and they confirmed that it was contaminated fuel and that i should avoid using my regular station and use Shell. Since i changed to Shell - no more issues.

The only pro i have for driving here is when i pull up outside my house and sigh a relaxing sigh. That said i do like going down the SLEX, NLEX and CTEX when i can, nice to let my car stretch its legs a little :)

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I drive in Manila on a daily basis.

I have never tried to.  Manila traffic has to be seen to be believed. 

• 2 weeks later...
expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I stopped driving here not long after buying a Nissan Urvan, bought mainly to transport my Son and Daughter and Grandson around

when they came here for my 65th Birthday.

Nobody gives way, even on so called pedestrian crossings !!

we use my brother-in-law as our driver for trips to Calamba and other areas except manila where he like many others refuse to drive into.

Mind you he does stop at the pedestrian crossings when there are are young girls wanting to cross !! still working that out :mocking:

but from Los Banos by Bus its only 2 hours or less to Manila.

Funny thing for me is though when the local traffic police are controlling the traffic so as to keep the traffic on the national highway flowing

they cause more tailbacks ! :bash: Even the Mayor had a go once poor man gave up after 5 mins !!

but this is the Philippines everybody for themselves ! :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the opinions and experiences.. .thus far. I don't think i want to drive, as I won't be living and driving in the Freeport Zone. I've have gritted my teeth and cringed.. many times, as a passenger, in Cebu. My wife and I are both.. good, safe, defensive drivers.. but when so many driving around you..are not, it makes me lean toward having a driver and using the public transportation. My wife owns a few jeepneys, so we will have use of at least one (and the driver), on Sundays. As far as her driving.. possibly from Barili to Carcar (if I eventually build there), but not anywhere around Cebu City. I don't think there is much more than crowded jeepneys, going between them two towns. I'm not happy to hear, I will be liable for my driver's fart ups. We will need to have a serious, safe defensive driving talk, and hope for the best, I guess. 

That's why I love my bicycle more and more, because I (still)have the reflexes of a bicycle messenger :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

Pros of motorcycle: cheaper than trike fare..wind blowing cools you down some. Get where Ur going faster..fun

Cons? Can't think of any...Hehe

Oh wait..my fiances back seat driving and her chicken butt worries Hehe

• 5 months later...
Bohol Guy
Posted
Posted

I drove for years in Bohol, but never in Cebu. Some folks from Bohol refuse to drive in Cebu but I know when we get a new vehicle I'll have to because we'll want to go to S&Rs. So that's driving an hour and fifteen to Tagbilaran, then across to Cebu, maybe 4 hours. So that will mean staying overnight...I don't know. Maybe I'll wait for S&R to come to me. :D

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

You can add me to the list. I am now driving my little Suzuki twin cab :).

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I have a 93 Corolla big body since 2011.

• 4 weeks later...
BluesDude
Posted
Posted

When I was stationed in Cubi / Subic my command had a little Suzuki van. We figured out if you shut off the ignition with the clutch in while going down hill it would backfire so loudly it sounded like a gun being fired. Being squids (Navy) we used to get a good laugh by coasting by the bus stop at the Marine barracks and firing one off. Marines would jump and take cover behind anything they were near. We'd drive by like nothing happened. It was just a case of the Navy helping the Marines to stay alert and aware. Just keeping them on their toes.

• Like 1