How Many Expats Drive ? Your Pros And Cons

MikeB
Posted
Posted

100,000p coverage for the Other party)

I upped mine to 400k
How high fees per year?

Total comprehensive coverage was about p12k for my 2004 small SUV. 

• Like 5

imonacan
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the opinions and experiences.. .thus far. I don't think i want to drive, as I won't be living and driving in the Freeport Zone. I've have gritted my teeth and cringed.. many times, as a passenger, in Cebu. My wife and I are both.. good, safe, defensive drivers.. but when so many driving around you..are not, it makes me lean toward having a driver and using the public transportation. My wife owns a few jeepneys, so we will have use of at least one (and the driver), on Sundays. As far as her driving.. possibly from Barili to Carcar (if I eventually build there), but not anywhere around Cebu City. I don't think there is much more than crowded jeepneys, going between them two towns. I'm not happy to hear, I will be liable for my driver's fart ups. We will need to have a serious, safe defensive driving talk, and hope for the best, I guess. 

Edited by imonacan

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I/we have been getting around in taxis here in the CebuCity/LapuLapu/Mandaue areas so far.

Pedestrians seem to have zero right of way....at least with the taxi drivers I have used to this point.

I am just up the road in Cebu City near Fuente Circle and the Capital area.  I have a total different experience than this.  After being here over a year, I would have no problem driving here in Cebu City.  It is congested, but has a certain order to the ciaos.  I find it a lot easier to drive here than in New Jersey, Greece or Italy as the speeds generally stay low in comparison and most drivers are LESS aggressive.  The trouble is parking; for that reason I let others drive me or use a taxi, jeepney, etc.  As a pedestrian that follows the walk signal I have never had trouble.  The key to walking (I do a lot) is to keep steadily moving and no sudden changes in direction/speed.  That will get you in trouble.

Notably I go near Mandaue or Lapu-Lapu rarely, and usually OFF PEAK travel hours.

Besides the safety factor, there are huge liability issues, especially if you hit a pedestrian.

The powers to be generally don't like you running over people anywhere in the world do they? :bash: :hystery:

• Like 2

dalidali
Posted
Posted

I now have to eat my words......

Yesterday I was in a taxi and he actually stopped and let some pedestrians cross and also let in a left turning car cross his path.

I was throughly impresssed!!

Just like anything or anyone perhaps........the demeanor on the road depends on who is doing the navigating.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
As a pedestrian that follows the walk signal I have never had trouble.  The key to walking (I do a lot) is to keep steadily moving and no sudden changes in direction/speed.  That will get you in trouble.  

Its not usually the walk signals at traffic lights that are the problem, on my first visit if I did not observe that the zebra crossings painted on the road were for decoration I would have been run over for sure thinking the drivers would stop like they do in aus. :no:

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Just been wondering if it is practical, to drive yourself. Yes, I've experienced the driving.. and it's enough to make me consider never driving.  If so, maybe a motorbike or vehicle out in the province. How reliable  is good public transportation out in places like Carcar - Barili - Badian ? Do any of you have a driver / security guy ? My wife wants to drive there, and maybe.. that will be enough. She became a very good driver here in NY, after a shaky start.. lol. Just weighing out the options, and seeing what has worked for others. Thanks for any replies, and your experiences are appreciated !

Bill

edited to add my name.. again

Hi Bill,

I live in Carcar and drive my Multicab and motorcycle frequently in Carcar and Barili. I like driving here so I don't have to depend on others for my transportation and safety. For some short trips I still take a tricycle for convenience and trips to Cebu City in an aircond bus for comfort and less stress. Driving on the highways is very stressful.

• Like 2

FredM
Posted
Posted

I drive every day when I am in Bohol. Admittedly its pretty quiet there but you still have to be very aware especially after dark as pedestrians don't walk towards oncoming traffic often wearing dark clothing obviously no street lights.

My wife learnt to drive in an automatic and has adapted quickly to a manual (albeit with plenty of gear crunching in the early days!). She drives daily with no issues. I would certainly not allow her to drive in the Middle East where the driving standards are much worse.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
gaga4
Posted
Posted

Since hiring or employing a driver is cheap in the Philippines thats what I would do. Make sure though that the person is recommended by others that you know. Find some way to check the character of the person.

gaga4
Posted
Posted

There are too many vehicles lie tricycles and jeepneys to dodge. get to know the driving hapits of Filipinos first before you attempt to drive. ide with some one first for a period of time.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

get to know the driving hapits of Filipinos first before you attempt to drive. ide with some one first for a period of time.

Good advice.