How Many Expats Drive ? Your Pros And Cons

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
if I was ever involved in an accident I would be screwed even if it was the other driver or pedestrian's fault.

A US foreigner married to a Filipina and living in Cebu near Ayala was involved in an accident where the local driver of the other vehicle tried to blame the fault on the US guy. It was clearly the fault of the local but he thought that he would get off with nothing being a proud bast---. Unfortunately the policeman on site could see that it was clearly the local driver's fault and promptly took him to the police station.

A rare occurrence of justice being served or do we just take for granted that we will be in the wrong regardless. I sometimes wonder what the situation would be if I had an motorcycle accident with any one of the underage bike riders I see on the road in Argao. Would a licensed rider be at fault?  Hope I never get to test the theory...

Edited by Fred & Mimi
  • Like 5

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I drive my motorcycle/sidecar here in Angeles City. I'm from California so am used to all types of drivers of different cultures. In the San Jose area it's a challenge to drive in the area's heavely populated with Chinese, Vietnamese and other Asian cultures. It's pretty similar to driving here. Just have to stay clam, keep your head on a swivel and watchout for the other guy. I find it makes life a little easier to just let the locals go as they please and not try to compete with them. :th_goodidea:

Wow, tworsha, I thought I was the only member here who lived in Angeles! Welcome and let me know when you have some free time. We can get together for a coffee or something.

Papa Carl

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A rare occurrence of justice being served or do we just take for granted that we will be in the wrong regardless. I sometimes wonder what the situation would be if I had an motorcycle accident with any one of the underage bike riders I see on the road in Argao. Would a licensed rider be at fault?  Hope I never get to test the theory.

It's impossible to say what will happen 100% of the time but I was told by the police after my own accident that, under Philippine law, if the other party does not have a valid license or registration (he didn't) they are at fault because they shouldn't be on the road. But it's a weird system because if you cause injury you are expected to pay regardless of who is at fault. If you don't believe me read the paper daily. The injured party can file a case against you unless you settle with them. What comes into play with a foreigner is it's likely they will expect more. You should at least have the 100k minimum Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL) insurance. I increased mine to 350k. Huge liability issues driving here.

• Like 3

Will
Posted
Posted

I drive in the Cebu area. The most important thing to remember is that the locals have not been "formally" taught to drive as in the US or western cultures. My way of driving (and subsequent stress level) has lowered since I was told this by a Swiss guy I met recently.

I now see why they drive between lanes, blow horns all the time, etc.  They have never been taught the right way.

Now, with all this said... I do still get pissed off and wonder WTH sometimes. 

Try to remember the bold words above, I know its hard.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

A US foreigner married to a Filipina and living in Cebu near Ayala was involved in an accident where the local driver of the other vehicle tried to blame the fault on the US guy. It was clearly the fault of the local but he thought that he would get off with nothing being a proud bast---. Unfortunately the policeman on site could see that it was clearly the local driver's fault and promptly took him to the police station.

A motorcycle ran into the back of me and clipped my tail-light while parking a few months back and first tried to leave the scene (until I pulled out his ignition keys) then started complaining about his hurt hand on the way to the police station :lol:  the investigating officer had a good laugh at this (which he included in his statement) and basically told the guy outright - You were behind, Your fault, and that he would be paying for the damage.

Justice does get served from time to time :cheersty:  

Comprehensive cover is well worth it - ours was 10.5k for the year up to 500k Liability, it would not even put a dent in medical bills for anything really severe though.  

Edited by deevey
  • Like 2

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

I live in Cebu City & drive all the time, why worry? If you get in an accident, bail, get out of there if you can 'cause as a foreigner it will be your fault no matter what. I don't care, drive every day...

• 7 months later...
Alby
Posted
Posted

I don't think I will ever drive especially here. I hated driving even when I was back home in the US.

Here, one can pay almost nothing, whenever he needed a ride without having to buy the vehicle, insurance, deal with drivers from the mountain who have no clue what a car is or be in some accident where he becomes an extortion target?

The only reason one might need to drive if he lived out in the boonies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The only reason one might need to drive if he lived out in the boonies!

Then it is AIM!  SHOOT and Hope for the Best. cos like Hunting, they are never sure what they ARE aiming At!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I don't think I will ever drive especially here.

Get back to us when you take a jeepney  to the mall, get stuck in traffic in the middle of summer and you are surrounded by folks going home from the market with live chickens and smelly veggies.............me I'll take my air conditioned car :mocking:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I don't drive here and I don't ride in jeepneys. I take a Ceres bus or double tire in to Bacolod and then an air-con seat belt taxi home. If the taxi does not have air-con or a seat belt, then I take the next one. For family day trips or airport runs, we have a few local taxi drivers that we rely on. For me, it is a lot safer and far less expensive. I came here to relax, not get stressed out. 

• Like 2