A Conduction What?

dalidali
Posted
Posted

So I buy this shiny new motorbike from a local dealer on July 22, 2013. All in my novias name.. Paid cash...I am feeling cocky and if our relationship ever dissolves, she can have the motorbike to do with as she pleases. I mean it won't fit in the carryon bin on the plane......shipping it to the USA would probably cost more than I paid.......so I make the call......she can learn to ride it, burn it or sell it.....your choice sweetheart.

She promises to take good care of it...store it indoors and start it every week and be ready for us when I return. I believe her.

So the dealer, Power Cycle in Manduae, after much insistance from me, obtains me 6 weeks of "conduction" permits from the Land Transportation Office all in one fell swoop. A whole "ream" of paperwork and receipts.

I am talking 6 separate pages of permits for each week along with a neatly stapled receipt for each week. 300+p for one week or just north of 2400p for the 6 weeks worth.

Not one sheet of paper for the 6 weeks.....not one receipt for the 2400p...separate, all of them.

Which brings me to today.....September 4th 2013. The last day of validity on the last permit.

I know from having being stopped by the local police, TWICE since I got the moto, for a "conduction permit" check.....I should sure have a valid one with me. (right after you come off the Osmena bridge into Lapu_Lapu and directly ahead towards the south side resorts, there are officers just waiting for you)

I asked the last officer about this "last" permit concern I had just the other day. I was on the last weekly permit at the time.....and he patted me on my back and said "no problem" Yeah ok officer whatever you say.

So the novia calls the dealer asking about where is the temporary license plate that is supposed to replace the conduction permit while waiting for a permanent "hard" plate or just a temporary plate, so I don't have to do the weekly permit ever again.

The answer she got back had something to do with the big rains in Manila a couple of weeks ago as a lot of workers could not get to work. I guess LTO workers included.......they can't get the plates out.

Do I just operate the moto with my copies of the 6 weeks of expired conduction permits and plead my case to the next officer who stops us? As one officer told me..."no problem"?? Ah ok.

Should I pay the LTO office a visit and see if I can rangle up more permits?

Would I have to pay for their delays?

Do I storm the dealer, all in a huff and demand more permits at NO cost?....and I mean NOW please....I am expired.

Apologies for this long winded diatribe.....it's early morning, it's quiet, cool and the novia is sleeping.

I am juiced up with 3 cups of Kopiko 3-1 coffee and life is good.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It sounds like any course of action taken will cost money. The police officers will require coffee money, except theirs is Starbucks. You can go to the LTO and they may give you additional permits, but maybe with penalties since you have exceeded the six weeks limit. The dealer may know someone at LTO who, in exchange for your eternal gratitude and continued business, may get the penalties waived. Getting the dealer to pay for the additional permits.... Sir, may I remind you this is the Philippines.  

A Filipino would have a more creative solution. Near the markets are sidewalk entrepreneurs capable of manufacturing customized temporary license plates good enough to fool a police officer. If caught, the Filipino will scratch his head and claim that the plates were sent to him from Manila. 

Do not attempt this if you are a foreigner! The sidewalk entrepreneur will over charge you to manufacture the plates and then report you to the police. It will be the Filipino's turn to say, "Life is good."

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Buy a plate off somebody? :) . Sorry, that was the old unreconstructed me talking, of course no one should ever do such a thing.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted
It sounds like any course of action taken will cost money.

I agree JJ....the beef I am having with all this is IF the dealer or LTO wants me to pay up again for THEIR ineptitude in not delivering me the proper plate or permit in a timely manner. I mean 6 weeks....come on....even California can do it quicker than that!! :bash:

So tomorrow (thursday the 5th) if I operate that moto....I am illegal through zero fault of mine.

Getting the dealer to pay for the additional permits.... Sir, may I remind you this is the Philippines.

Wow I heard that.....when I bought the moto, there was barely a sniff of fuel in the tank. I asked the selling dealer if he could put in ONE liter of fuel for me so I could get home.

You know what his answer was?......"Oh you have plenty to get to Lapu-Lapu" "No need for any more fuel"

I retorted......sir, I just handed you tens of thousands of pisos in CASH money for this moto and you can't put me ONE liter of fuel in the tank to get home on?

"Sorry sir, but there is plenty of fuel to get you back to Lapu-Lapu.

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Buy a plate off somebody? :) . Sorry, that was the old unreconstructed me talking, of course no one should ever do such a thing.

I am tempted Robert, if I can't get any satisfaction out of the dealer or LTO. Mind you tempted only!!

It's goes against my grain to do things "contra la ley"....it's in my DNA to be on the up and up from having been a cop in San Diego CA for 30 years.

I am a walking saint!! :hystery:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Buy a plate off somebody? :) . Sorry, that was the old unreconstructed me talking, of course no one should ever do such a thing.

I am tempted Robert, if I can't get any satisfaction out of the dealer or LTO. Mind you tempted only!!

It's goes against my grain to do things "contra la ley"....it's in my DNA to be on the up and up from having been a cop in San Diego CA for 30 years.

I am a walking saint!! :hystery:

A cop in Dago? 30 years? I'm sorry but... You see, after all these years, Jake is still walking around free and untethered.... Haha!

:)

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Wow I heard that.....when I bought the moto, there was barely a sniff of fuel in the tank. I asked the selling dealer if he could put in ONE liter of fuel for me so I could get home.   You know what his answer was?......"Oh you have plenty to get to Lapu-Lapu" "No need for any more fuel" I retorted......sir, I just handed you tens of thousands of pisos in CASH money for this moto and you can't put me ONE liter of fuel in the tank to get home on? "Sorry sir, but there is plenty of fuel to get you back to Lapu-Lapu.

Thanks. This one really made me laugh.

We are visiting our son and his family in La Jolla during our holiday. Hope the cops in San Diego don't make the mistake of thinking I am Mexican. We love traveling through Arizona, but my wife refuses to go back until the Sheriff of Maricopa County is gone. He has this thing about Mexicans or people who look Mexican.

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Wow I heard that.....when I bought the moto, there was barely a sniff of fuel in the tank. I asked the selling dealer if he could put in ONE liter of fuel for me so I could get home.   You know what his answer was?......"Oh you have plenty to get to Lapu-Lapu" "No need for any more fuel" I retorted......sir, I just handed you tens of thousands of pisos in CASH money for this moto and you can't put me ONE liter of fuel in the tank to get home on? "Sorry sir, but there is plenty of fuel to get you back to Lapu-Lapu.

Thanks. This one really made me laugh.

We are visiting our son and his family in La Jolla during our holiday. Hope the cops in San Diego don't make the mistake of thinking I am Mexican. We love traveling through Arizona, but my wife refuses to go back until the Sheriff of Maricopa County is gone. He has this thing about Mexicans or people who look Mexican.

JJ....trust me when I say this.....the SD cops have little time to, or inclination to, stop you or anyone just to see if your "legal" or not.

In fact, it's against department policy to do so and state and federal law to do so.....just for the purpose of "show me your papers"

Despite the stories you may hear from time to time, I can assure you that officers last thoughts are if you have your "papers" with you.

I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but your wife is simply playing into the hands of rable rousers who have nothing better to do that stir the pot of race relations and promote the fever of amnesty......ala Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on the black side. They and others thrive and make their money by continuing to stir the pot.

Personally, I am neutral on amnesty....on one hand I can see it as a moral question to allow those in the USA to come out of the shadows and on the other, the massive social costs of doing so, in a time when costs resources are slim.

I am sure you well aware of the illegal immigration problem in AZ......and the crime it brings into that state.

Sheriff Joe is doing what people expect him to do....and that is enforce existing law. And being in the USA without the proper authority to do so, is "contra la ley"

It is not his duty to selectively seek out people who "look" Mexican, nor do I believe for one minute that he orders his deputies to do so.

As far as an officer on the street is concerned, like his San Diego counterparts.....they have much better things to do with the time and resources.

Sure, you and everyone will hear of the exception now and again and I believe that is fueled by some persons perceived knowledge of "knowing my rights" when that knowledge is only what some other person told them it is. Not the facts!!

Rest easy JJ.....no one is going coming after you.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Just kidding about being stopped. I reserved a black Ford Crown Victoria, which looks like a CHP from a distance, from the rental agency. Other motorists do a double take when they see me on the rear view mirror and slow down. My wife and I carry both Hawaii driver's licenses and US Passport cards. We also have US passports in our bags as a backup. 

More troublesome are the Homeland Security Border Guards and their random checkpoints along the USA & Mexico border. We have stopped to show our identity cards, but never went to secondary inspection. I know the drill. Both hands visible on the steering wheel. Direct answers to any questions. Try not to be overly friendly. Relax. Don't look nervous.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Things are getting a bit off topic here.

• Like 1