New "mail Order Bride" Law In The Works.............

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

How will your Embassy or Consular know if you have good moral character?  They don't personally know you. This is a stupid requirement.

My fiancee and I attended the class but I don't see how it helped prepare us or any of the younger couples for marriage and didn't even warn us that we could be marring an abusive person.  It was just a woman telling jokes about marriage.  The main thing I remember her joking about was how sex is the best exercise. I'm sure the young girls were blushing but how does that prepare someone for marriage?

There should be a one year mandatory class in every high school that teaches boys and girls about marriage and how to choose the best mate.  The next year should be a class about having kids and how to raise them properly.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

That's the problem, they don't know their own laws. Someone tells them something and it becomes de facto law.

"Pre-Marital Counseling and Family Planning Seminar:

If either of you are between the ages of 18 and 25, you will need to show proof to the local civil registrar that you have received marriage counseling. If you do not receive marriage counseling, your marriage license will not be issued for three months."

http://marriage.about.com/od/philippines/a/philippines.htm

Not odd law situations are confusing, when they are written, so the law don't tell what it mean itself   :mocking:   English isn't my first language, but for me, who has read several laws in Swedish and English, that text can mean DIFFERENT things, because it only tell what will NOT happen, but it don't tell what will happen AFTER 3 months...

So it can mean BOTH e g:

/you will get the marriage license when 3 months have passed

I GUESS it's MENT to mean that, but it can also mean e g:

/you will be BANNED for 3 months from trying to get a marriage license. After that you will have to go to marriage counceling anyway, otherwice you will be banned again...  :hystery:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
How will your Embassy or Consular know if you have good moral character? They don't personally know you.
Oh! I thought most of us in this forum are notorious  :hystery:
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

If you do not receive marriage counseling, your marriage license will not be issued for three months."

If you're not in a hurry that is an option. 

But the 3 month wait was not a viable solution ..... I was pregnant ... :mocking: :mocking:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

How will your Embassy or Consular know if you have good moral character?  They don't personally know you. This is a stupid requirement.

My fiancee and I attended the class but I don't see how it helped prepare us or any of the younger couples for marriage and didn't even warn us that we could be marring an abusive person.  It was just a woman telling jokes about marriage.  The main thing I remember her joking about was how sex is the best exercise. I'm sure the young girls were blushing but how does that prepare someone for marriage?

There should be a one year mandatory class in every high school that teaches boys and girls about marriage and how to choose the best mate.  The next year should be a class about having kids and how to raise them properly.

I suspect that foreigners will have to produce some form of cerificate prepared and signed by a clergyman who has known that person for, say, at least 5 years. But have you noted the hidden message here: retired foreigners won't be able to marry in the Philippines because, being retired, they won't have any employment.

Edited by Markham

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I suspect that foreigners will have to produce some form of cerificate prepared and signed by a clergyman who has known that person for, say, at least 5 years.
Knowing a clergyman for 5 years???  I haven't even known any for 5 minutes  :hystery:

((Well. I did knew a woman, who teached us in church Sunday school when I were around 5 years old, until I found out by logic it can't be as they teach.))

But have you noted the hidden message here: retired foreigners won't be able to marry in the Philippines because, being retired, they won't have any employment.
It seem to be well hidden, I didn't found it  :)   when I did read it through roughly. (I did only bother to read it through rougly, because I will be self employed several years in the future too, but it can be interesting as "common knowledge" anyway.) Where did you see that?

Americano
Posted
Posted

I suspect that foreigners will have to produce some form of cerificate prepared and signed by a clergyman who has known that person for, say, at least 5 years.
Knowing a clergyman for 5 years???  I haven't even known any for 5 minutes  :hystery:

((Well. I did knew a woman, who teached us in church Sunday school when I were around 5 years old, until I found out by logic it can't be as they teach.))

But have you noted the hidden message here: retired foreigners won't be able to marry in the Philippines because, being retired, they won't have any employment.
It seem to be well hidden, I didn't found it  :)   when I did read it through roughly. (I did only bother to read it through rougly, because I will be self employed several years in the future too, but it can be interesting as "common knowledge" anyway.) Where did you see that?

Thomas,

Here it is in the second sentence "a certificate that he has a gainful trade, business or employment issued by his embassy’s diplomatic or consular official before a marriage license can be obtained."  As Mark said, sounds like it leaves out retired foreigners.  No job no marriage license is how I read it.  No clergyman knows me either because I don't attend any church.  I guess I'm not qualified to marry a Filipina for violating two of her rules.  Too bad we are already married.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thomas,

Here it is in the second sentence "a certificate that he has a gainful trade, business or employment issued by his embassy’s diplomatic or consular official before a marriage license can be obtained."  As Mark said, sounds like it leaves out retired foreigners.  No job no marriage license is how I read it.  No clergyman knows me either because I don't attend any church.  I guess I'm not qualified to marry a Filipina for violating two of her rules.  Too bad we are already married.

ok. I guess the intension of the law is to make sure the husband can provide for a family, but it's written so it don't include other incomes as "living of yield from assets" or retirement pay,, but perhaps they forgot to think of them, because just a very few Pinoys can live of such they get in RP   :)

Or perhaps the intention of the law is trying to stop foreigners from marrying all the best Filipinas...  :lol:

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

Could be worse, like Cambodia where no foreigner over 50 years old can marry a Cambodian women.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Could be worse, like Cambodia where no foreigner over 50 years old can marry a Cambodian women.

All Cambodia did with that law is ensure Cambodian women live with older foreigners without getting married. Wouldn't it be better for the woman if they are married if they are living together?