New "mail Order Bride" Law In The Works.............

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
No clergyman knows me either because I don't attend any church.

regarding this small item. this is from my personal experience(not for marriage but for my childs enrollment)

is that one can obtain a "affidavit" that he/she is not a (active)member of a "religion" or "church"

what I had needed was a "baptismal certificate", it was a :hassle so i was informed that i could use an "affidavit" in lieu of the Baptismal certificate 

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

This is just a proposal, it's a long way from becoming law. There are 2 bills before the current congress, the Freedom of Information Act and a law abolishing family dynasties, that could (if passed) go a long way toward preventing another scandal like the current one. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

This is just a proposal, it's a long way from becoming law. There are 2 bills before the current congress, the Freedom of Information Act and a law abolishing family dynasties, that could (if passed) go a long way toward preventing another scandal like the current one. 

Sounds like another gimmick to grease the hands that are under the table.  Perhaps this says it all....he, he:

post-686-0-89043200-1379466549_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

One news article said "Congressmen can't be arrested."  Evidently they are above the law.  Of course they are they made the laws to protect themselves.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It doesn't matter what the law says, as long as the populace continues to elect bad people, dirty hands will always find a way. But the FOI bill and the one to abolish these political dynasties is a beginning and you have to start somewhere. 

• Like 5

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

One problem is even when a good bill is passed and becomes law there are always loopholes written into the law that allows some people to continue doing what they were doing.  A good example is last year a bill became law which says tricycles cannot operate on the national highways. In my opinion that's a good law because most of them do not drive fast enough to be on the highways, but nothing has changed because the law has a loophole which made it not enforceable and therefore useless. If a tricycle driver cannot get to where he is going except by the highway then he can drive on the highway.

I'm sure there are loopholes in this bill too. Well, we already know there are, it only applies to foreigners.  A Filipino man can be abusive to women and be too lazy to work and still marry a Filipina.

In the USA Congressmen and foreign diplomats do not have to obey traffic laws. Several years ago we had a young prince from Saudi Arabia living for a while in Alabama. He would drive his sports car on the highways at over 100 miles per hour and no one could do anything about it. Police officers would get in trouble every time they stopped him. Why should he be exempt from traffic laws which are for safety of all people on the streets and highways?

Edited by Americano

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A good example is last year a bill became law which says tricycles cannot operate on the national highways. In my opinion that's a good law because most of them do not drive fast enough to be on the highways, but nothing has changed because the law has a loophole which made it not enforceable and therefore useless. If a tricycle driver cannot get to where he is going except by the highway then he can drive on the highway.

They're not completely banned on national highways only when the highway is "utilized by four-wheel vehicles greater than four tons and where normal speed exceeds 40 kph”. But there are no alternative roads outside the main part of town so it's a Catch-22. I agree it's a bad law and having them on the highway is a problem, but trikes are the sole means of short-distance public transportation in many places. They're as much a part of the social fabric as jeepneys and roosters; they aren't going anywhere.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I agree they are not going anywhere anytime soon so why make a stupid law that is not going to be enforced?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I agree they are not going anywhere anytime soon so why make a stupid law that is not going to be enforced?

Tradition?  We have a backlog of passed legisation they can't enforce because the city can't afford to publish them in the newspaper.  Which seems to be a rquirement?  So keep passing laws ha ha