Globe Dsl Vs Pldt Dsl, Opinions?

jwb912
Posted
Posted

Greetings Expats, I have to say that I am really spoiled now, and will miss my premium high speed with Cox Cable. I get about 40 Mbps wireless, and 64 Mbps when hard wired to my modem, or router. Especially when I see that I will be doing good to get either 1.5 or 3 Mbps, depending on who I go with, when I move to the Philippines. Oh well, it beats dial-up.  There are some youngsters out there, that will say, "whats dial-up"., lol, the not so, good old days... Jimmy

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Greetings Expats, I have to say that I am really spoiled now, and will miss my premium high speed with Cox Cable. I get about 40 Mbps wireless, and 64 Mbps when hard wired to my modem, or router. Especially when I see that I will be doing good to get either 1.5 or 3 Mbps, depending on who I go with, when I move to the Philippines. Oh well, it beats dial-up.  There are some youngsters out there, that will say, "whats dial-up"., lol, the not so, good old days... Jimmy

We had seen crews stringing new lines up to our neighborhood here in SBFZ, so when we stopped by Subictel / PLDT last week, we asked if was theirs.  They said it is and it is fiber optic and will be a bundle deal with the local cable TV, Cignal.  I did a search and ironically the PLDT website will not even come up.  I found a 2012 link that says the rates in Manila start at p3500 for 8 mbps up to p20000 for 100 mbps!  $500 a month!  What a ripoff!

http://www.yugatech.com/telecoms/pldt-fiber-to-home-starts-at-php3-5k-for-8mbps/

We got our Smart Wimax working again so we are hanging tight.  It costs about $25 (p999) a month so I don't want to throw that money away.  We are committed until March.

Meanwhile, this video came up in the search and shows the PLDT / Cignal equipment, and has some techno dance music that I thought might get Jake off of his puwet!  :hystery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgDeFtcuiKs

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Last week I upgraded my Globe 3Mb/s connection to 5 Mb for 2295 per month and it includes a landline with free calls to any Globe number nationwide and any other carrier within Cebu province. The extra 2Mb makes quite a difference.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Last week I upgraded my Globe 3Mb/s connection to 5 Mb for 2295 per month and it includes a landline with free calls to any Globe number nationwide and any other carrier within Cebu province. The extra 2Mb makes quite a difference.

That is good to hear that the upgrade actually worked.  So many have said (not about globe, in general) that the higher speed plans don't always deliver.  Have you measured your speed yet?

Any techies out there who know how they regulate your speed?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I use this one and it always shows 4Mb+ to any of the US locations. But the connection has been intermittently up and down a few times since the upgrade. I don't think it's related to that but them doing comm work in my area. That's what they say anyway. Globe is definitely cheaper but I had FAR fewer outages with PLDT.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Very interesting ..... I used MikeB's link above and 4 tests (all the west coast ones and Chicago) I got 78Mbps and below ..... all the others I got 1.68 to 1.98Mbps ..... my use when attached to Speednet is usually 2.0 to 2.15Mbps ...... my plan calls or 2.0Mbps ..... 

:cheersty: 

• 5 weeks later...
threadstone
Posted
Posted

PLDTmyDSL is still the most highly recommended Internet service provider especially in Cagayan de Oro City.. it has a good performance from downloading to uploading... although a little bit expensive but its worth  

dems
Posted
Posted

I choose PLDTmyDSL.  It has stable connection compared to others based on my experience here in Mindanao.  Download speed is also good.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Be careful on going with a company that comes as the recommended brand... I'd be asking who recommended this company and why. You'd be surprised how many times it was corporate management recommending themselves!

Sent by Gaseous Monkeys using tin cans, a very long string and Tapatalk...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Reviving this thread.  I'm finally going to get Globe DSL this week.  I thought I mentioned here the SMART WIMAX updated situation but it must have been another thread.

After I had posted this originally, SMART came out and replaced our SMART WIMAX with a new unit.  For the first week we got blazing speeds, 5-6 MBPS.  Then it went down to the advertised 2 MBPS and it stayed that way for a long time.  Then in April it started slowing down a lot and now it is absolutely terrible.  It usually tests at .5 mbps or less.  So I am done with that and I will get DSL.

I appreciate any new comments and I also have a few questions for those with DSL.

For reasons stated earlier in this thread I will not get PLDT and I will try Globe.  Several members have said they are happy with Globe so I will give it a try.

Globe has lowered their rates since Mike posted above.  I'm leaning toward the 5 mbps plan that Mike has and the price is now p1599, including free installation*, wifi modem and landline.

Questions:

1.  Who uses their landlines and what do you use them for?  Globe has a 3 Mbps plan without landline for p999.  We are thinking we don't really need a landline.  Local calls?  Free Globe to Globe?

2.  I think this is a change to their plans since I posted the rates above.  You have to opt in for the free landline calls to globe and tm.  There is no change in cost but if you opt in for these, the contract is 24 months.  Otherwise it is 12 months.  Does anyone use these free landline calls to Globe and TM?  Most of our friends and family are on SMART and SUN, so we are not see a huge benefit here.

Right now I am leaning towards the 5 mbps plan for p1599, second is the 3 mbps internet only plan for p999.  I need a new wireless router because mine is buggy, and all the plans except the internet only plan come with one, so that would be a bonus for those plans.

Also, if you apply online the p1000 install is free.  All documents can be submitted online too, so in theory you don't need to visit an office.

Here is the Globe link:

http://tattoo.globe.com.ph/products/home-broadband.html#plans