Globe Dsl Vs Pldt Dsl, Opinions?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

For reasons stated earlier in this thread I will not get PLDT and I will try Globe.  Several members have said they are happy with Globe so I will give it a try.

And there are a lot who are not happy. Globe intermittently has this "selective browsing" problem where some sites are not available. You can't ping the site by name although the url resolves to a valid IP address. I had the issue a couple of weeks ago but it went away for me after about a week. Other Globe subscribers are still having this issue. The workaround is a VPN service so you take Globe routing out of it. Mike S alluded to this in the other thread. There are many good reasons for having a VPN here but you shouldn't have to use it for this purpose. Instead of correcting their own infrastructure they're selling faster service at lower prices so that more subscribers will sign up, making the problem worse. Exactly the opposite of what they should be doing.

1.  Who uses their landlines and what do you use them for?  Globe has a 3 Mbps plan without landline for p999.  We are thinking we don't really need a landline.  Local calls?  Free Globe to Globe?

My wife's family in Masbate got Globe sims or TM whatever so they yak for hours for free. It works for them. Having a home landline is a good thing I think. It's 1 more phone in an emergency. You can use whatever cordless phone you want with it.

Globe has lowered their rates since Mike posted above.  I'm leaning toward the 5 mbps plan that Mike has and the price is now p1599, including free installation*, wifi modem and landline.

It's a good price and I usually get 2.5 - 3.5 Mb/s on the speed tests. I'm going to call them today and see if I can do anything with this new price. Probably not until the contract is up but worth a shot. If your contract is up and they lower your plan you have to call and ask them to adjust it. They will continue to bill at the same rate till the end of time. 

Be sure you read the "Fair Use" policy, it has a data cap after 10Gb per day I think for the 5Mb/s plan. I haven't experienced it yet but others have. But that's not just Globe, I think they all do it.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I did a Talk2Globe Chat session and they agreed to drop the price to 1599. Kind of ridiculous that you have to make a formal request to have it changed but it is what it is. Thanks, OMW!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I did a Talk2Globe Chat session and they agreed to drop the price to 1599. Kind of ridiculous that you have to make a formal request to have it changed but it is what it is. Thanks, OMW!

I think that is SOP in the US as well.  They will not reduce your rate unless you ask.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think that is SOP in the US as well.  They will not reduce your rate unless you ask.

I'm surprised to hear that with all the laws in the US designed to protect consumers. I would think someone would file a class action suit to recover 50 cents if that were to happen. But how often do US-based ISPs lower your bill? It's really a phenomenon here that ISPs like Globe periodically offer faster services at lower prices. But they do offer promos in the US for "new subscribers only", I guess that's how they get away with not giving it to everyone.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

After they made the change to my acct my internet is down because, once again, the p/w on the modem doesn't match what Globe has in it's database so authentication fails. Instead of giving me the correct p/w over the phone (because their system is "upgrading") they scheduled a tech visit in 2 days. No matter which of these companies you go with you better have a backup plan; tethering, dongle, etc. 

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Turns out the p/w is the 9 digit acct number. Good to know.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

After they made the change to my acct my internet is down because, once again, the p/w on the modem doesn't match what Globe has in it's database so authentication fails. Instead of giving me the correct p/w over the phone (because their system is "upgrading") they scheduled a tech visit in 2 days. No matter which of these companies you go with you better have a backup plan; tethering, dongle, etc. 

Two of my friends have Globe one is very happy with it and the other unfortunately has had a bad experience the same as me.It`s a shame you cant try before you buy.The only thing is if you call Globe out three times you can dis-connect free of charge but I don`t remember if they refund installation costs.

• 3 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A year later and I finally got DSL.  We postponed for several reasons but when we moved the Wimax was dead in the water.  I have been using a SmartBro stick the last few weeks.

After considering going all out for PLDT 8 mbps Fibr + Cignal digital cable package for p3800, I went the cheap route:  Globe 3 mbps DSL for p1299 and we will get regular cable for about p600, I think.  I wanted 5 mbps Globe but they did a site survey and said 3 was the best they could offer at my address.

The installer was so so and ended up taking 2 days to finish.  We gave him a break and didn't complain because they were doubled up due to the typhoon on Monday.  He couldn't get the internet up the first day and really needed a second guy to help him trace back on the line.  He had the second guy when he came back today and they got it working quickly.

I was getting less than than 1 mbps when they installed but it was still far faster than anything I have had recently.  The installer and customer service said it would take 24 hours to activate the 3 mbps.  I just checked now and it was 1.28 down and .83 up.  Hopefully tomorrow it will be a lot faster.

I am going to log the speed and outages carefully for the first week or so.  I think they have a 2 week period where you can get out of the contract if it does not perform.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I was getting less than than 1 mbps when they installed but it was still far faster than anything I have had recently.  The installer and customer service said it would take 24 hours to activate the 3 mbps.  I just checked now and it was 1.28 down and .83 up.  Hopefully tomorrow it will be a lot faster.

Open a browser and put 192.168.254.254 in the url window and enter. That's the Globe default address for their modem/gateways. Look at the Downstream Speed it should say a little over 3000 kbps for a 3Mb connection. That will tell you if the speed is correct. 1.28 was about avg speed test when I had "up to" 3Mb. Seldom over 2.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Open a browser and put 192.168.254.254 in the url window and enter. That's the Globe default address for their modem/gateways. Look at the Downstream Speed it should say a little over 3000 kbps for a 3Mb connection. That will tell you if the speed is correct. 1.28 was about avg speed test when I had "up to" 3Mb. Seldom over 2.

Yes, I had that address but had not gone there yet.  Strangely, it says Downstream 6144 and Upstream 1019.  On speedtest.net just now I got 1.72 mbps down and .82 up.

I hope my "up to" 3 mbps will at least average above 2!

It actually is working quite well right now.  Pages load quickly without delays and I am using Strong VPN.

• Like 1