Isp Throttling

Mike S
Posted
Posted

While looking up some information on why my connection is so slow here in Bacolod (never had a problem in Cebu with the same service and plan) I came across some interesting information ..... already posted one such source but here is a bit more ...... Globe and PLDT both throttle back the accounts that they feel are either downloading from torrent sites OR watching movies on their computer .....

post-11-0-74931500-1382848515_thumb.png

I know they tell you they don't but the chart above tells you otherwise ..... they also throttle back during peek hours but i have no chart on that .... sorry

now here is a website that has a program to test if you are being throttled or not ..... test both the bit-torrent and flash video test (and any others that you want) ..... to test in peek times you have to run the tests then I assume ....

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

:cheersty:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What can you do as a consumer if they slow your connection other than switching providers?

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

What can you do as a consumer if they slow your connection other than switching providers?

You can use a VPN so that the ISP has no idea what kind of traffic or services you are using. Here is a VPN service I am considering trying out, they have a limited free account and the unlimited accounts have reasonable fees. http://proxpn.com/

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This is not an issue for us here but there could be folks in Philippines who could find that useful.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You can use a VPN so that the ISP has no idea what kind of traffic or services you are using. Here is a VPN service I am considering trying out, they have a limited free account and the unlimited accounts have reasonable fees. http://proxpn.com/

I'm using HotSpot Shield now (the free version) ..... is that the same thing and work the same way ......

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use Hide My Ass Pro for VPNs (hidemyass.com). It is not free (costs $78/year) but I travel a lot and find it much easier than notifying my banking institutions that I will be in this country or that so they won't lock out my account or credit card (which doesn't always work half the time even though you made the effort). You can select a country for proxy on the fly and is fairly quick. It is also available for Android phones and Tablets. I have it loaded on multiple devices and access my web pages (sometimes restricted by the country I am in) without any issues. I try to select countries that are less stringent on communications monitoring when possible. Some sites I have noticed require a US based IP for access. 

It is an excellent tool for accessing Netflix, Hulu, etc...

So far it has kept me Jake free! hahaha (couldn't resist)

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Lately I've been using Soft Ether. It's a VPN created by the University Of Japan by a group of students and faculty to fight government censorship. They average 90-100 VPN's all over the world daily and works quite well. And better still....Free.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

I use Hide My Ass Pro for VPNs (hidemyass.com). It is not free (costs $78/year) but I travel a lot and find it much easier than notifying my banking institutions that I will be in this country or that so they won't lock out my account or credit card (which doesn't always work half the time even though you made the effort). You can select a country for proxy on the fly and is fairly quick. It is also available for Android phones and Tablets. I have it loaded on multiple devices and access my web pages (sometimes restricted by the country I am in) without any issues. I try to select countries that are less stringent on communications monitoring when possible. Some sites I have noticed require a US based IP for access. 

It is an excellent tool for accessing Netflix, Hulu, etc...

So far it has kept me Jake free! hahaha (couldn't resist)

Hey Jon1,

For a highly classified communications security expert (armed), you just gave your ass away.  I've got you

locked on with a Predator loitering above your head.  So next time you're taking a dump in some remote

jungle or desert, your ass is mine.  

By the way, zooming in -- not bad.......he, he. 

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I don't know that VPN is completely the answer to throttling, it encrypts the data but it's still using your ISP. I have used the glasnost test several times with my Globe DSL and it always says there's no evidence it's being throttled or "shaped". I use a 3rd party product called PingPlotter to track routing, the paid version allows you to use TCP packets in case ICMP is being de-prioritized, as that post indicated. It's useful for getting an overview of where a problem may exist. The biggest latency BY FAR between my modem and the rest of the world is the hop between 2 Globe routers (or switches) on the same subnet, probably sitting next to each other in a data center in Makati.  

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Mike I think you maybe right as I have run the test several times only to be told that everything is fine ..... HOWEVER ..... the bandwidth tester I'm using gives me numbers all over the place from 2.03 to .89Mbps ..... but i can't even watch a movie that is running a bit rate of 385 and not in HD.... it lags like crazy .... I disabled my firewall .... anti-virus and everything else I feel could be a problem and also ran HotSpot Shield (which you have to do with Hulu) .... and still no changes .... HOWEVER .... I can download a uTorrent file and get pretty good results .... that doesn't seem to have changed ..... only watching movies has .... when in Cebu I could watch movies from Veetle in HD with out much problem but not here in Bacolod ..... strange indeed .... 

Also I should note that I am using a WIFI connection to my router to their DSL box (I disabled their router internally ... to many routers) but that is only across the room or about 15ft. .... in Cebu it was hardwired .... I also noticed that when I shut down my computer each night when I start up again in the morning I get a new Globe IP address even though my router stays on all the time but of course the dangle shuts down ....

Oh well we ordered Cignal Digital TV and it is supposed to be connected tomorrow .... so I'll share our experiences with that later on ....

:cheersty:

• Like 1