Isp Throttling

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Dave, I was referring to an internal wifi router connected to a cable or DSL broadband network. I'm not familiar with MyBro, I think it's a WiMAX but never used it. Sorry. 

Americano
Posted
Posted

You can lose up to 40 % of your speed using wireless.

If you're using a newer router (g, n) and nic there should be little discernable speed difference between wifi and wired. If you're seeing a 40% loss over wifi there's some other issue. Lots more variables with wifi ie signal loss, interference, security, misconfiguration, etc.

Mike,

I agree with you on this. I always use Wifi at home for our desktop and two laptops because I know there is very little different between Wifi and wired when it comes to speed.  About one year ago one of Globe's technicians was in my home because someone had disconnect us in a Globe cabinet as usual and said, "your internet speed will be 200% faster if you connect it direct to the router."  I knew he was wrong but I didn't say anything. After he left I started doing every test I could think of with my desktop computer wired and with wifi.  I couldn't find any difference in speed for accessing websites or loading pages or doing speed tests. The benefit of using Wifi greatly outweighs any negative effects. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Wifi can be affected by distance or things situated between the router and antennae. Newer routers can go quite a distance and thus should not be an issue for most people. But sometimes walls made of metal or with lots and lots of rebar on a cement wall may affect the signal. And just like Superman, a lead lined wall won't pass a signal either. Still. It's pretty rare for these things to happen these days.

Dave, yours is basically an internet stick stuck to a small short range router. (If it's not a PC) the best thing to do is take your computer to a friends and see if it will work then. If not, check to make sure your wired side is enabled. If it is , I'd be looking for someone who could do a few checks locally and cheaply.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Mine is connected both ways with a 40% loss on wifi. That is why I said it. Yes there are many reasons why the wifi is slower and thats why if you can, just hard wire it. Gamers swear by it

Americano
Posted
Posted

If your Wifi is slow then its an old slow system or something is blocking your signal.  Its as simple as that.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Mine is connected both ways with a 40% loss on wifi.

I agree there's something else going on. Is your network secured with at least a pw? I often see wide open networks from my neighbors. I've been using this simple program for years, you can easily see if other devices are connected to your router - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I agree about the loss on wifi. You also might want to look at what network mode your wifi router is transmitting (mixed, bg only, wireless G only, wireless B only, wireless N only). You may have an older protocol device trying to access partly compatible protocol. For example a Wireless G device trying to access Wireless N. It's easiest to leave the network mode as mixed. Especially if you have guests who want to access with their phones, etc. Also, the transmitting distance decreases with the number of walls between the router and device. I installed a Cisco Repeater http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399489,00.asp to complete the coverage within all of my house. My only issue with that has been when moving about the house while surfing on my phone, the phone gets confused about which wifi point to use.

MrCreosote
Posted
Posted

Has anyone here tried using VPN to increase internet speed? Let me know please.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Has anyone here tried using VPN to increase internet speed? Let me know please.

I have found at times that using a VPN can help. It depends on what you need to do and where you need to connect.

The VPN I use allows you to connect to VPN servers in various locations around the world. Sometimes when I need to download something (legit download) it won't work via my local DSL network but will work if I use the VPN connected to a US VPN server.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I believe Dave Houndrivers box is a modem and router in one. You can connect directly to the internet through a modem but that is only one connection.

As Jon1 said, your box might be working on an older protocol, it would not be the first time outdated electronics was dumped in the Philippines. Just a theory