Isp Throttling

Alby
Posted
Posted

What if the wifi adapter in the computer is and old and incapable one?

I changed my wifi adapter in my PC with an Intel board and now I get double the speed plus Bluetooth. The previous one didn't have BT and it was slower (an Atheros that came with PC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

What if the wifi adapter in the computer is and old and incapable one?

I changed my wifi adapter in my PC with an Intel board and now I get double the speed plus Bluetooth. The previous one didn't have BT and it was slower (an Atheros that came with PC)

Alby,

If your Internet speed doubled by changing your wifi adapter then that's an option for everyone to consider when dealing with slow Internet speed.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Yes it did double. My wifi speed (wifi status) used to go up to 150 mb but after the replacement it went up to 300 mb.

The thing is, the PC is using some hardware (adapter) to connect. That adapter can be your bottleneck.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The 300 mb (per sec?) is a "theoretical limit" on n-type (802.11n) networks. There's lots of overhead, you're not actually getting near that. Very unlikely upgrading a wifi adapter on your internal network is going to result in a significant internet speed increase. Jmo.

Alby
Posted
Posted

True. I don't believe it much but it did improve the connection. Don't know how much though.

I think some adapters have 3 internal antennas but your PC should support using those 3 prongs.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It never hurts to unplug your DSL modem and your wifi router for a few minutes then plug them back in. Sometimes that will fix any internet problems you are having.

Alby
Posted
Posted

The problem is, no matter how much we change we are limited by what our Filipino provider decides.

Good ideas like changing DNS and using VPN will do good but the provider will always know how much we consumed and fast we are worthy of.

Globe tatoo I think says it's unlimited but once you hit 800 mb a day it will kill you ... I mean throttle you.

I read a report abut the PI being the slowest country in South Asia when it comes to Internet.

These 'nut' companies know they don't have the infrastructure needed but they will sell you anything and tell you anything coz they know, it's a legal jungle here and they have already bough these politicians.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Globe tatoo I think says it's unlimited but once you hit 800 mb a day it will kill you ... I mean throttle you

It's not quite that bad. Here's the FUP - http://tattoo.globe.com.ph/fup

Currently ISPs that don't meet basic service standards can only be fined p200 per day. They're trying to change that.

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/07/14/p50-m-fine-on-non-compliant-telcos-sought/

Alby
Posted
Posted

I read that even president Aquino said they were milking the population.

Country speed wise the PI scored 3.xx mb in general which was less than many African countries and even less than Cambodia!