Isp Throttling

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

if you can hard wire your main computer to your router, Do it. You can lose up to 40 % of your speed using wireless.

I use a MyBro wireless connection.  It connects to the Internet wirelessly and then re-transmits to computers nearby.  I have tried to connect from my laptop to the MyBro device with an ethernet cable and it will not make a wired connection.  I have not called the MyBro people as their service is atrocious and the things they tell me to do on the phone never seem to accomplish anything and trying to get them to send someone to the house is almost impossible.

So if you think I can get 40% more speed then please tell me why the wired connection does not work but the wireless connection to the same device does?

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Could be a defective wired connection socket on the mybro device or a bad ethernet cable

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Try hooking ypur computer straight to your modem

robert k
Posted
Posted

Dave I am going to assume that you have tested the ethernet cable already. It could be the port / card on your laptop or router. Does your router have multiple ports? Here in the US I have called the cable people out and the subcontractors they send out are inferior to monkeys, I check my own equipment. I even had one of the monkeys sent to my house try to plug my power supply into a router he brought without even looking to see if the power supply was compatible, it wasn't. You might have to haul your cable and laptop to someone elses house and see if you get a wired connection, or maybe a shop could do it for you.

Dave, on another topic, I have been thinking about your telling that your laptop battery pack has failed. Inside many laptop battery packs there are multiple common individual batteries. If you can open the battery pack up, you may find it is full of Samsung 18650 batteries, the same as in a quality portable phone charger/battery bank. Most likely the batteries would be connected just like AA batteries but there may be a dab of epoxy to hold them in place. If the pack is not working, I would figure what do I have to lose doing some surgery on it. The 18650 batteries can be found in some e-bikes, just more of them. The batteries may be available seperate. Just some thoughts.

• Like 4

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

You have tried the wired when the wireless adapter is switched off.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

While connected CAT5, check to see if you have a valid IP address. If it 169.254.xxx.xxx it's invalid. Also ping your adaptor with 127.0.0.1. It may also be the LAN is disabled on the MyBro. Can you get into the canopy GUI and see? Plug your comp into a port on a known good router to see if you can get a valid IP and then ping it. That will clear your comp LAN and the CAT5.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

While connected CAT5, check to see if you have a valid IP address. If it 169.254.xxx.xxx it's invalid. Also ping your adaptor with 127.0.0.1. It may also be the LAN is disabled on the MyBro. Can you get into the canopy GUI and see? Plug your comp into a port on a known good router to see if you can get a valid IP and then ping it. That will clear your comp LAN and the CAT5.

Spoken like a certified senior technician on computers and advance electronics.  I hereby present you my

golden crescent-hammer.  May your troubleshooting techniques be as illogical like mine......he, he.

Well done Steve!

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Jake if your award does not work, give Steve a bigger hammer.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
You can lose up to 40 % of your speed using wireless.

If you're using a newer router (g, n) and nic there should be little discernable speed difference between wifi and wired. If you're seeing a 40% loss over wifi there's some other issue. Lots more variables with wifi ie signal loss, interference, security, misconfiguration, etc.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If you're using a newer router

People talk of routers in here but all I have is a MyBro box.  It receives wirelessly and sends wirelessly but other than that MyBro supplied box there is no router so . . . .

Does that MyBro box qualify as a 'newer router'?