Same Day Visa Run To Hong Kong

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just reread Dave Houndriver's post about his 16 month visa run:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17341-my-16-month-visa-run/

I'm probably going to do a same day visa run to Hong Kong In February, Clark to Hong Kong on Tiger Air.  I will get in to Hong Kong at 0915 and depart the same day at 2255.

1.  Any pitfalls I should look out for?  I will have a throw away ticket.  It appears that PH customs might ask questions, but there are no regulations preventing this.

2.  Given that I have the whole day, can I do some sightseeing?  Any suggestions on where and how?  I have not been to Hong Kong since the new airport opened and I know it is out there, but it has good train service, correct?

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I just reread Dave Houndriver's post about his 16 month visa run:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17341-my-16-month-visa-run/

I'm probably going to do a same day visa run to Hong Kong In February, Clark to Hong Kong on Tiger Air.  I will get in to Hong Kong at 0915 and depart the same day at 2255.

1.  Any pitfalls I should look out for?  I will have a throw away ticket.  It appears that PH customs might ask questions, but there are no regulations preventing this.

2.  Given that I have the whole day, can I do some sightseeing?  Any suggestions on where and how?  I have not been to Hong Kong since the new airport opened and I know it is out there, but it has good train service, correct?

Yep very good express train station from the Airport. I was just there a few days ago. $90 Hong Kong dollars from Airport to Kowloon.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

doing a 1 day Visa run to Hong kong?

how i wish i could get you to reconsider?

why?

so so much to do and you only have less than 12 hours,

why do i say this?

Hong Kong is like a BIG CANDY STORE, so many choices yet not enough time to even start to LOOK,

and you can find a DECENT STEAK or   :7_4_17[1]: PRIME RIB dinner unlike here

WHY?

as we know that some things we find here are either last years model. or just JUNK,

there you can find much better QUALITY,more Selection and a lower price,

and if done right even w./shipping included you could pay for some of your "VISA RUN" (with the cost savings)

by having at least 24-36 hours,

You can do, not Only a "visa run" but a D,,,,, good shopping spree

get those items that you want but cant find here in the country,

near Central is the "shipping hub" for the Filipinos.(lbc and the others) 

well I have given my 2 cents worth, best of luck

( i am not affiliated w/the hong kong tourism bureau  or any retail business  based in HKG) :cheers:

off topic, if i had to choose a HOT erotic night w/ a goddess of beauty   :1 (60):  OR

24 hrs in HKG.w/a good steak or prime rib dinner

do you know what i would choose?                     :558: 

what would you choose?

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

doing a 1 day Visa run to Hong kong?

how i wish i could get you to reconsider?

why?

so so much to do and you only have less than 12 hours,

why do i say this?

Hong Kong is like a BIG CANDY STORE, so many choices yet not enough time to even start to LOOK,

WHY?

as we know that some things we find here are either last years model. or just JUNK,

there you can find much better QUALITY and a lower price,

and if done right even w./shipping included you could pay for some of your "VISA RUN" (with the cost savings)

by having at least 24-36 hours,

You can do not Only a "visa run" but a D,,,,, good shopping spree

get those items that you want but cant find here in the country,

near Central is the "shipping hub" for the Filipinos.(lbc and the others) 

well I have given my 2 cents worth, best of luck

Yes, I hear you but now is not the time, so I decided to try this, and keep my cost as low as possible.  Abby and the little girl can't go this trip so I want to take them back some other time.  I will try to plan a week for that trip, when school is out.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bring a small bag with a few overnight clothing items. Customs gets suspicious if your profile differs from other visitors. How many visitors arrive with no luggage and no toothbrush? You don't want them doing a digital probe or using a fiber optic scope to search for contraband. Of course, if you speak Mandarin, you can try to explain to a Customs agent the concept of doing a visa run and why you don't need luggage.

The airport exchange rate is really lousy. Ask a bank or money changers in Subic if they have Hong Kong dollars. With more than 100,000 workers in Hong Kong, the OFWs pay fees twice exchanging from HKD to USD to PHP. Some just bring HKD home. 

For trips to Canada, the United Kingdom and Japan, we buy currency before departure. The reason is visitors to Honolulu bring their home currency. The physical currency has to be transported to a Federal Bank clearinghouse to exchange back to United States dollars. For the Yen, we get a better rate doing the exchange in Hawaii rather than in Japan.

My wife and I have done the one day trip to Hong Kong. Purpose was shopping for items not available in Manila at the time. We went to a large supermarket a few blocks from Central. Even common items like Jello were not available in the Philippines. There was one mishap when we returned home. I love blue cheese and I purchased several stinky French and Stilton. They were lovingly stored in the refrigerator. The maid smelled them; realized the cheese was rotten; and she threw them away.       

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Bring a small bag with a few overnight clothing items. Customs gets suspicious if your profile differs from other visitors. How many visitors arrive with no luggage and no toothbrush?

Hmmm, that might be a good point.  I was planning on just bringing my small backpack with a few things, so I don't have to worry about lugging a small roll-aboard around.

Richard Riley
Posted
Posted

I plan on making a visa run soon and remember reading somewhere that you had to stay away for three days. I can't find the article now but I was hoping someone could confirm if it is one or three days out of country.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I chickened out and decided not to do the same day return.  Cebu Pacific sent a special out tonight, p699 each way Clark / Hong Kong / Clark, so I jumped on it for a 2 night stay.  Total RT cost after fees/taxes and adding p230 each way for an exit row seat was about p3800.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I chickened out and decided not to do the same day return
      :thumbsup:

you made a Good   :thumbsup:  decision, now with the full(nearly full)2 days

you can do the things that you want to do,(man time)which would be boring to your family

go shopping for those things you cant find here,

prepare.do the ground work for your next trip w/the loved ones

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I chickened out and decided not to do the same day return
      :thumbsup:

you made a Good   :thumbsup:  decision, now with the full(nearly full)2 days

you can do the things that you want to do,(man time)which would be boring to your family

go shopping for those things you cant find here,

prepare.do the ground work for your next trip w/the loved ones

I wonder if it would be possible to get a Pentax lens repaired/cleaned in 1-2 days?  It might just need a cleaning.  For some reason the auto-focus will not work with my telephoto.  Is anyone familiar with any camera shops in Hong Kong?