Same Day Visa Run To Hong Kong

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

nope.. but thanks to your posts now i'm headed there also in January lol..2 round trip tickets Cebu-HongKong $279 US..be my girls first flight and trip out of the country  (yep has her passport)

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

nope.. but thanks to your posts now i'm headed there also in January lol..2 round trip tickets Cebu-HongKong $279 US..be my girls first flight and trip out of the country  (yep has her passport)

Did you choose a hotel yet?  I want to find one in Kowloon or Central that is close to the airport express train station.  On Agoda it seems like there are quite a few nice ones for $70-90 usd, but I really have not dove into the locations yet.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Did you choose a hotel yet?  I want to find one in Kowloon or Central that is close to the airport express train station.  On Agoda it seems like there are quite a few nice ones for $70-90 usd, but I really have not dove into the locations yet.

I recommed the Ramada in Kowloon, very reasonsable if you get a room there via hotelscombined.com. Very clean, and central to Kowloon, only about $25 dollar ride to express train station.

• Like 2

Bigdog
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm staying at the Seaview Silka in Kalwoon..about 90$ us/night its only about a block from the Yai Ti train station( spelling could be horribly wrong lol) and right in the middle of the night market and only a few minutes walk to the lady's/electronics market..stayed there on the way over for 2 nights , just dont eat the morning buffet !!! lol

Edited by Bigdog
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
only about $25 dollar ride

I hope that is HK dollars!

just dont eat the morning buffet !!! lol

Keeping a long story short, the worst food poisoning of my life was from a seafood buffet in Hong Kong, on my way to Manila in the 90's.  I'm very careful about buffets since then!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm staying at the Seaview Silka in Kalwoon..about 90$ us/night its only about a block from the Yai Ti train station( spelling could be horribly wrong lol) and right in the middle of the night market and only a few minutes walk to the lady's/electronics market..stayed there on the way over for 2 nights , just dont eat the morning buffet !!! lol

That's what you get for eating all you can eat baluts......he, he.  The trick is to chase it down with some cold San Magoo.

Anyway, thanks guys for some boots on the ground report about Kowloon.  It was a shopping paradise for me way back

during my ship's port visit.  

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

For that money, you should be able to get a room at the "Holiday Inn Golden Mile". The nearest station is Tsim Sha Tsui which, if I recall correctly, is served by the airport express and is about 50 yards away on Nathan Road (aka the Golden Mile), Kowloon. Alternatively there is a regular shuttle bus between the airport and the hotel that is (I think) a tad cheaper. When Mae and I were there a couple of years ago, we took the train to the hotel but the shuttle bus from the hotel - but our bags were heavier!

There are several camera shops close to Star Ferry (Kowloon) and shopping in Tsim Sha Tsui is good and bargains can be had, provided you stay away from the Ocean Terminal Mall and its 3 Marco Polo hotels. But I rather doubt you'll be able to get a lens repaired overnight - a suit and/or a few shirts made in that time, yes, but a lens repair .... doubtful.

To get to Star Ferry from the Holiday inn: turn right out of the hotel on Nathan Road and walk past Tsim Sha Tsui station and continue for another 250-300 yards until you get to Salisbury Road. Turn right, pass the Peninsular Hotel on your right and Star Ferry will be in front of you. The camera shops are along this stretch.

Edited by Markham
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
But I rather doubt you'll be able to get a lens repaired overnight

Yes, I knew that was doubtful but if I can find a Pentax expert maybe they can take a look at it and at least know what is wrong.

Thanks for the tips!

Markham
Posted
Posted

But I rather doubt you'll be able to get a lens repaired overnight

Yes, I knew that was doubtful but if I can find a Pentax expert maybe they can take a look at it and at least know what is wrong.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm pretty sure that your lens would have to go to a Pentax facility on the mainland in (say) Schenzhen, Guanzhou or Guangdong; such things don't happen in Hong Kong any more -- even Harry Lee's fabled 12 hour shirts and 18 hour suits are made in mainland China now. In the old days - when Britain ruled the place and Harry Lee's workrooms were in Kowloon - you'd probably have been able to get your lens cleaned/repaired more locally.

Have you checked the (electrical) contacts? I assume the battery is charged ... :unsure:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Have you checked the (electrical) contacts?

By coincidence I had been thinking about cleaning it up and see if it made a difference.  I was lazy and used other point and shoot cameras instead, but their performance can't match the Pentax.  The contacts looked clean but when cleaned them there was a lot of dirty residue there that almost looked greasy.  Do they apply grease on those?

In any case, it worked!

• Like 1