44.02 Pesos For A Dollar

Thomas
Posted
Posted

And the pound is 72.72 about 8php more than it was last year.  I'll stock up on san mig while its that high

Beer as a monetary unit. Not a bad idea. My wife has a distant relative who denominates everything in beer bottles as in, "Piano lessons for our daughter. Do you how many beer bottles that would cost?" 

Full or empty?   :)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Full or empty? 

Full, unless there is a return deposit on empty bottles.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup:  The kids in my neighbourhood, make quite a good little living, on collecting discarded empties. At 2 peso a bottle I sometimes wonder why, so may people discard them, probably too lazy to carry them home or go back to the shop or wherever purchased. This also applies to soft drink bottles.

I guess we could say, there is a double edged monetary value in it  :)

:tiphat:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
  The kids in my neighbourhood, make quite a good little living, on collecting discarded empties. At 2 peso a bottle I sometimes wonder why, so may people discard them, probably too lazy to carry them home or go back to the shop or wherever purchased. This also applies to soft drink bottles.

There is a bottle and plastic container deposit of 6 cents in Hawaii and the recycling centers pay back 5 cents. The 1 cent is for administration and less than 70% of the containers are returned for the partial refund. The state government revenue is more than $70 million before administrative expenses. Bottle collecting and recycling is a very popular fund raiser by schools. The drives take in between $1,000 to $3,000. This is mostly at the elementary school level. The high school students find it easier to make money with a car wash. They can easily raise $1,000 at $7 a car and $10 a truck within a six hours period. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup:  The kids in my neighbourhood, make quite a good little living, on collecting discarded empties. At 2 peso a bottle I sometimes wonder why, so may people discard them, probably too lazy to carry them home or go back to the shop or wherever purchased. This also applies to soft drink bottles.

I guess we could say, there is a double edged monetary value in it  :)

Among rich countries Sweden claim to be (one of) the most environment friendly countries, supported by a recycling system, which is supported by monetary insentives. E g a return deposit on a common pet bottle is around 0.25 USD. So many is returned by the user, and it can be a good pay per hour with Swedish messure too to go and pic empty bottles and cans in/after weekends.

But the Philippines beat us concerning recycling   :)    

Perhaps you guys too have seen documentary from Manila garbage dump, where poor people live, so they can be among the first in the run for digging  :boohoo:  for useful things when a truck come and empty it's load of garbage... 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: Well, I guess a little hornets nest, has been opened here, My post was merely an adage about  the ingenuity and  the need, for small money for kids. To me, it seemed better, than begging, on the City streets.

:tiphat:  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

And the pound is 72.72 about 8php more than it was last year.  I'll stock up on san mig while its that high

Beer as a monetary unit. Not a bad idea. My wife has a distant relative who denominates everything in beer bottles as in, "Piano lessons for our daughter. Do you how many beer bottles that would cost?" 

In my Navy days I would ask the price of beer to judge the economy of a port.  I never drank beer but you can tell a lot by the cost.  (I like my rum - or in Pusan it was Oscar).  Japan $7 a beer, Korea $3, Philippines 3 beers for $1.  Now which port was more affordable?

I never learned the cost of beer in Australia.  For the whole month we were there I don't think anyone let me buy my own drink.  Friendly folks!  Especially that one Air Force girl.... Bundy & Coke... wait that was not her name...

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Back to pesos and dollars. If the rate goes down for three consecutive days, it means the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas is already intervening. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

44.44 at XE right now.  44.24 for minimum BPI Online rate.

JJR, I read an article from last spring that said the central bank was running out of funds for currency support.  That was right about the time the peso started going down.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
JJR, I read an article from last spring that said the central bank was running out of funds for currency support.  That was right about the time the peso started going down.

Not true. The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas has a printing press and gold bullion smelter in Quezon City. They also have a nearly unlimited capacity to borrow from other central banks and to sell gold. The US Federal Reserve Bank does the same. The "Quantitative Easing" in essence is printing money at $85 billion a month.  It will be "tapered" down to $75 billion. The Dow reacted with a rally that nearly ended at 300 points above the previous closing. No one wants to talk about future inflation that is the inevitable result. Who will we blame then? Bernanke? Oh, he is leaving the post of Chairman on January 31, 2014. 

Personally, I am buying pesos now for my four weeks trip next month. The BSP is not yet intervening. They are probably waiting for the Balikbayans and Overseas Filipino Workers to do it for them. Starting around December 15th, the flood of returning Filipinos for the holidays will result in over $1 billion more into the banking system.