Where To Retire?

davewe
Posted
Posted

OK, this is a really subjective, open-ended question, but I am looking for opinions. While I have a few more years till retirement, my wife and I will be returning to the Philippines in May and I want to spend a little time (too little) scouting some locations.

I have been to the Philippines about a half dozen times, so here's what I know I like and don't like:

Not a huge metropolis fan, so no way to Manila or Cebu City. OTOH I wouldn't mind a bit smaller city or a town not too far from a city. Spent a few days in CDO last year and we really liked it.

My wife's family is in Alcoy, a few hours south of Cebu City, so Cebu itself is on the possible list, though maybe a couple hours closer to Cebu City. BTW, I really liked Alcoy, but I know the adage about not being too close to the family.

Beach and water is a plus - shouldn't be too hard :) Clean air and water is important (again that leaves out Manila and Cebu City).

As to living environment, I do not require a gated community or Western style condo (not that there's anything wrong with that) but won't be living in a Nipa hut either :) We saw houses in Alcoy with spectacular views, selling for 4-5 million - awfully tempting. But unless we fall in love immediately or find an incredible deal, the strategy will probably be to rent 1st until we are sure.

Weather: I am good with hot and humid Philippines; Janet might like a bit cooler. She's been asking about Baguio, which sounds nice but might actually be too cool for me. The older I get the more I like it hot.

Health/Medical: While I am approaching my dotage, I am in excellent heath with no issues but I don't think it would be wise to be 10 hours from the nearest hospital either.

Expats: Not sure I need a bunch of other expats nearby. 

Finances: Not rich but won't have a poor retirement either. So we don't need to live on the proverbial $1000/month or less.

Malls: My wife is a provincial girl, but I suspect having a mall that can be traveled to would be the best. And I like the occasional trip to the movies. Again, that means a smaller city or not too far from a large one.

So, tell me why your town/city is the best place in the Philippines to live. Or maybe there's a place you have seen.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Southern Leyte along Sogod Bay is nice and meets what you are looking for. It is rural, Sogod is the closest larger town but not that big at all. No medical facility's to speak of.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete and/or Valencia sounds like it meets your requirements.  Also you would be close/not too close to family, because of the requirement for taking the ferry.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The problem with the towns close to these major cities is that there's really not that much difference in terms of pollution and traffic. You have to go quite a ways before it's significantly better. Alcoy is a nice, clean, quiet area that has a lot to offer but there are trade offs. The closest real supermarket is in Carcar and it's pretty poor, imo. The closest real hospital is in north Naga and that is quite a haul, about 2 hours. If you're going that far (and you're still alive) you may as well go to Cebu City which has much better hospitals than South General. Housing costs are less but you're going to need a vehicle, again a trade off. You didn't mention schools, that's a whole other subject but maybe it doesn't apply to your situation. While you're travelling around looking for what area best suits you and your family I would not even think in terms of buying or building a house. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I'm a big fan of Dumaguete and Negros Oriental in general as well.  Spent a lot of time there, it's about 2 hours by bus South of where SAO and I are renovating a house.  Dumaguete is a University town so the infrastructure across the board is solid.  Water is clean, scenery wonderful, city is clean with a population of about 120k so all the facilities you mention are there.  Admittedly I'm biased but traveled PI a lot and I fell in love with Dumaguete almost immediately and being provincial cost of living is lower than somewhere like Manila or Cebu.

I believe our fellow forum member Peter Jackson lives in Dumaguete proper so could probably fill you in on the detail. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Cebu City which has much better hospitals than South General.
 That must be a subjective opinion as my now departed friend, Bill, choose to travel from Danao, all the way through Cebu city to South Gen in Naga to be treated when he fell ill.  But perhaps it has gone downhill in the last 6 years.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I'm a big fan of Dumaguete

I am too, but many foreigners will tell you its a 'sh&t hole'.  Thus you must decide for yourself if they are trying to scare foreigners away from coming here as there are already enough (really, there are LOTS of foreigners here) or if they really hate it.  I suspect that people who do not make friends easy would hate it as it is cliquey. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
I am too, but many foreigners will tell you its a 'sh&t hole'.

Yep, very subjective topic; One man's trash is another man's treasure. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

That must be a subjective opinion as my now departed friend, Bill, choose to travel from Danao, all the way through Cebu city to South Gen in Naga to be treated when he fell ill.  But perhaps it has gone downhill in the last 6 years.

Subjective opinion based on firsthand experience. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just as an aside Davewe, as you know, I lived in Portland for a couple of years, and I find that Dumaguete is a very similar type of city:  Very progressive (for PI that is) but not one ironic beard in sight lol.

• Like 1