Where To Retire?

davewe
Posted
Posted

The Philippine government is starting to designate certain municipalities as priority areas for the development of residential communities for both domestic and international retirees. The example is Talisay near Bacolod City. The idea is to have a first class hospital, shopping mall, recreational facilities, etc. within 15 to 45 minutes to a 2nd tiered city. I believe Dumaguete or some place close to it is another one. Dumaguete is a "de facto" host to an expat community numbering around 2,000. Most are Germans. The community grew without the government realizing its existence.  

This sounds like a nice idea, though I am not sure I trust the Philippines (or any other) government to manage it.

Also, I should mention in all this discussion that while I will be retired, my wife is not exactly at that age. So it's not like we will be retiring together in some rest home or something :)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Philippine wants to compete with Malaysia and Thailand when it comes to the global retirees market. The government actually has the correct approach on this one. Rather than declaring priority areas based on the request of a politically influential family, they are looking at places already popular with retirees. The support to the local government unit is funding infrastructure such as roads, bridges, water, sewage, etc. A global retiree is a 365 days tourist.

My understanding is economic and population dispersal is part of the strategy. Therefore Metro Manila, Metro Cebu and Metro Davao are not included. The sites will be near second tiered cities like Bacolod, Iloilo, Tagaytay,Dumaguete, Lipa, Laoag, etc. Special retirement zones include the former Clark Air Base and Subic Naval Base. The focus is independent or active seniors. In my opinion, the business is in providing caregiver services to seniors who need assistance.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Fe and I have two lots in Balamban, Cebu 45 klicks from Cebu city, over the mountain and on the left coast, no beach (gravel) but not to far north are white sand  and just to south are falls. Small city prosperous with a large ship yard.  There is a hotel/appt. called Sailors Cabin that rents daily-monthly rooms and one and two bed apartments restaurant on premises. You could rent there while checking out area, owner is Germen expat. Short trip to Toledo to catch boat to Dumaguete, Negros Occidental is  just across strait.  Fe has nephew who  commutes to work in shipyard.

• Like 2

lostnparadice77
Posted
Posted

OK, this is a really subjective, open-ended question, but I am looking for opinions. While I have a few more years till retirement, my wife and I will be returning to the Philippines in May and I want to spend a little time (too little) scouting some locations.

I have been to the Philippines about a half dozen times, so here's what I know I like and don't like:

Not a huge metropolis fan, so no way to Manila or Cebu City. OTOH I wouldn't mind a bit smaller city or a town not too far from a city. Spent a few days in CDO last year and we really liked it.

My wife's family is in Alcoy, a few hours south of Cebu City, so Cebu itself is on the possible list, though maybe a couple hours closer to Cebu City. BTW, I really liked Alcoy, but I know the adage about not being too close to the family.

Beach and water is a plus - shouldn't be too hard :) Clean air and water is important (again that leaves out Manila and Cebu City).

As to living environment, I do not require a gated community or Western style condo (not that there's anything wrong with that) but won't be living in a Nipa hut either :) We saw houses in Alcoy with spectacular views, selling for 4-5 million - awfully tempting. But unless we fall in love immediately or find an incredible deal, the strategy will probably be to rent 1st until we are sure.

Weather: I am good with hot and humid Philippines; Janet might like a bit cooler. She's been asking about Baguio, which sounds nice but might actually be too cool for me. The older I get the more I like it hot.

Health/Medical: While I am approaching my dotage, I am in excellent heath with no issues but I don't think it would be wise to be 10 hours from the nearest hospital either.

Expats: Not sure I need a bunch of other expats nearby. 

Finances: Not rich but won't have a poor retirement either. So we don't need to live on the proverbial $1000/month or less.

Malls: My wife is a provincial girl, but I suspect having a mall that can be traveled to would be the best. And I like the occasional trip to the movies. Again, that means a smaller city or not too far from a large one.

So, tell me why your town/city is the best place in the Philippines to live. Or maybe there's a place you have seen.

I am in a place very close to Dumaguete that is exactly what you're seeking and has many rentals here. However I am looking to move to Cebu. PM me, maybe I can help?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Lostnparadice, you may need a few more posts before anyone can PM you, if I remember correctly. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Greenphilway
Posted
Posted

I'm a big fan of Dumaguete and Negros Oriental in general as well.  Spent a lot of time there, it's about 2 hours by bus South of where SAO and I are renovating a house.  Dumaguete is a University town so the infrastructure across the board is solid.  Water is clean, scenery wonderful, city is clean with a population of about 120k so all the facilities you mention are there.  Admittedly I'm biased but traveled PI a lot and I fell in love with Dumaguete almost immediately and being provincial cost of living is lower than somewhere like Manila or Cebu.

I believe our fellow forum member Peter Jackson lives in Dumaguete proper so could probably fill you in on the detail. 

I agree fully what you write about Dumaguete.

But the traffic is mostly horrible.

I did live in Dumaguete only 1 month, then moved to a rental in Valencia, now we live in Bacong, 8 kilometers from Dumaguete and 8 kilometers also from Valencia.

IMHO a good place for the OP to live is Valencia, it is a bit cooler then Dumaguete but not as cold as Baguio...

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I did live in Dumaguete only 1 month, then moved to a rental in Valencia, now we live in Bacong, 8 kilometers from Dumaguete and 8 kilometers also from Valencia.

What are the approximate rents for a house in both of these places?

Greenphilway
Posted
Posted

In Bacong is the rent we pay, 3 bedroom, 1 sitting room, big kitchen inside and an outside kitchen as well, rather big garden of approxemately 800 meters, carport, 11,000 PHP

In Valencia the rentals are more expenssive though, off course depends what house, start for a 3 bedroom house IMHO 10,000.

In Dumaguete?

No idea since I did stay there only for 1 month in the Gazebo Pension House in the Cervantes straat, friendly staff!

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
IMHO a good place for the OP to live is Valencia, it is a bit cooler then Dumaguete but not as cold as Baguio...

It is getting pretty darn cold in Baguio lately. Down to 50F at night, maybe even the high 40F's. During the day at times it is cold enough for a jacket. Farmers are complaining about frost hurting their vegetables at higher elevations.